Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Daedalus X pulled off a Capital ship heist in a level two wormhole. read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Who can draw uniforms?  (Read 18930 times)

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
Re: Who can draw uniforms?
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2012, 19:03 »

I'd just like to point out that ZAFT uniforms from Gundam Seed are awesome.

Carry on.

PS: If this does yield pretty cool uniforms, I may have some interest in getting some work done for Sak and her sisters.  For a militaristic family like theirs proud of its capabilities and heritage, the lack of available and appropriate dress uniforms is a shame.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2012, 19:05 by Sakura Nihil »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2012, 19:26 »

PS: If this does yield pretty cool uniforms, I may have some interest in getting some work done for Sak and her sisters.  For a militaristic family like theirs proud of its capabilities and heritage, the lack of available and appropriate dress uniforms is a shame.

Requiar meme icon for "Sak wants visuals, and is willing to pay".

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2012, 23:45 »

I like all of these ideas, though I would think there would need to be some PF clarification that connects culture/race to something more official. Like, the variations in British military uniforms are tied to the various regiments and brigades. It seems while Intaki are connected to the Intaki solar system, Mannar are connected to the Mannar solar system, Jin-Mei to Mei-ha/Lirsautton, the ethnic Gallente are a bit more all over the place. If we assume by "member races" we mean "member systems", then it would be Luminaire. Then you might have a 'culturally universal' uniforms for those who do not subscribe to the four major members. Would the mysterious "minor members" (vague references to these guys) receive any representation in terms of military fashion?

[....]

I also also approve of factionalism within the Federation Navy. The Federation as a single entity (government, administration, police, navy) above all its lower parts is pretty freakin' huge, especially when its broken down by individuals and communities, not a handful of monolithic megas or houses. Their could even be Factions with a capital F. I'm experimenting with a concept of this "Peacedealer Faction" (anti-Vulture), which is headed by a Senator, and has several members/assets of the military aligned to it. But that's not really related.

Some deep questions raised there. Regiments vs generic units, clumping vs blending of backgrounds, shared vision vs individual vision, and melting pot/"culturicide" vs cultural continuity.

Even more of a diversion: how strong is the shared Federal government, and which functions remain with the member states? I've gone from assuming (1) a monolithic-but-terribly-culturally-sensitive government apparatus, to (2) a light layer of government over a collection of member states that retain their own internal workings, including at least one monarch, to (3) some sort of Senate seat allocation based on clumps of worlds. These might coexist, sort of.

Speaking of male skirts (and sorry for otaku'ing all over the place, can't help but watch a lot of non-gritty sci-fi anime and steal Gallente ideas), but there is the ZAFT uniform from Gundam Seed here. Women could ditch the trousers and expose a bit of leg, or something. Though one of the female characters seems to have a shorter variant with a non-reg skirt beneath. Not sure if it's 'non-reg skirt' as much as it is 'fan service'.

Nice jackets, but if you have to get into a decompression suit now, how do you do it?

My personal preference is for more of a Babylon 5 aesthetic in the military uniforms and going to town on the fanservice in other aspects of Gallente life where it's clearly an option.

* Matariki Rain mentally dresses, undresses and redresses Seriphyn, trying to decide what might count as fanservice.

I also also also like this Great Mother thing (may steal it :3c ). And yeah, I do believe that the Gallente's concepts of masculinity and femininity might be heavily based on the physique, rather than anything else [...].

RE: Great Mother. Go for it. Have a think, though, about which Gallente circles would prize symbols of fertility, and what those would mean to them. I can think of a few angles on that, but I suspect there might be some heavy-duty compartmentalising of sex and reproduction among many contemporary Gallente.

For me, ethnic Gallente religious stuff has echoes of the chosen/created French Revolutionary Cult of Reason and Cult of the Supreme Being, except with hefty doses of self-actualisation, aesthetic appreciation, and attractively personalised god figures who'd make for good artworks.

Typically a Great Mother cult is considered an old/archaic cult. More often you'll get goddesses available for worship in a range of new packages labelled "daughter" goddesses. With a versatile-enough pantheon of deities to shift between it should be possible to match people to appropriate godly role-models for their personality and stage in life.

The wiki section about the Gallente strand of gender dualism is a bit too Mars-and-Venus for my taste, and acknowledges that. It has possibilities, though. Couple it with body-modding and I'm sure there would be superstimulus body types out there (Lara Croft and the Incredible Hulk), with fraternities of muscle bears being all manly together. I like to think you could couple it with classy to get a broad spectrum that included the subtle as well as the flagrant, and "What would Athena do?" as well as full-on sexualised gender roles.

The article on Gallente religious practices, while, in my view, messy and frustrating, is fantastic for setting up realistic-seeming liveable inconsistencies. I dislike reading it, but I very much like what it says about the lay of the land in Gallente belief systems. Having strong strands of individualism and equality AND strong gender roles is interestingly clashy.

For a French-Intaki blend I loved what Cia did with her Fortune-of-the-River cult.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2012, 09:48 »

Heh, Matariki, you should go write up something in lieu of Kaleigh Doyle's "17 lunar deities" thing :>

Also, yeah, I think I agree. Spaceships are still dangerous no matter who designs them, so I think jumpsuit-style uniforms would be in use ubiquitously. We can ignore dress uniforms for now, since that goes into much wilder territory, and come up with basic shipboard uniforms they'll wear. The proof-of-concept, so to speak. *looks at Lyn* :3c

In which case, I picture the Gallente one being very very similar to that male 'Allied Terran Defense' thing in the OP. Form-fitting suit with curved tailoring/seams, but not too bland/boring like Star Trek. I'm sure it'd be the same for women, too (as it is in modern navies). I'd picture the top-half being more like a very thin jacket that can be unzipped, leaving one in just a t-shirt beneath. In contrast to the Minmatar one, it would not be baggy in the slightest (even modern working rigs have some excess bagginess to them).

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2012, 14:14 »

I dislike reading it, but I very much like what it says about the land of the lay in Gallente belief systems.

FTFY.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2012, 14:25 »

I dislike reading it, but I very much like what it says about the land of the lay in Gallente belief systems.

FTFY.

*groan*  :roll:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2012, 11:01 »

If ethnic Gallente are into their strongly-gendered cultural-religious thang that might mean they could display whatever it is that betokens gender to Gallente: waist-to-hip ratio, well-muscled thighs, a front-facing pregnancy-bustle as a reminder of the Great Mother's generative power, etc.

something I thought of earlier today, relates to this.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
that's the old Quafe girl outfit.

and like, her belly, thighs and boobs are uncovered, and her hips are covered, (which will tend to make them look wider, won't it?).

So, an outfit that relates to "the Great Mother", would not be too dissimilar, I thought.
\o/

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:33 »

I don't think I'd ever seen below the shoulders of that outfit before. Thanks, Lou. :)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jul 2012, 07:51 »

Okay well I finally found someone. Doing Gallente/Caldari at least. I've already sent a mail out to a few people, however, I'll ask here...(these are designed to be 'crowdpleasers' after all)

Would the Caldari have gendered uniforms (eg. not just tailorings, but skirt vs trousers)? If so, why, or why not?

In my personal opinion (which won't necessarily get carried through), I think no, though I've had a handful of people saying yes. As someone has pointed out to me elsewhere, the ideal is that gender doesn't matter in a meritocracy. Even if that's idealistic, something like uniforms might subscribe to these ideals regardless of what happens in reality. Secondly, a streamlined/efficient force might want to save the budget by producing one set of uniform for all (obviously with different fittings). To me, the Caldari having separate uniforms by gender would seem to enforce the divide a bit. USCBP dress uniforms seem to have no gender variation, for example. I may be wrong, but pencil skirts seem somewhat restrictive in movement (though shipboard uniform would always be genderneutral), unless it was an a-line skirt. It seems somewhat un-Caldari to restrict physical efficiency based on vanity.

I'm also not that clued in on gender studies when it comes to clothing, and thus not sure how much a skirt represents ebil oppressive patriarchy.

But again, I'm open to suggestions, since I'll be going on a vote of Caldari RPers, and a compromise of some kind if it's equal tally.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2012, 08:05 by Seriphyn »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jul 2012, 08:15 »

I would say pants for women too in the caldari society. I still have in mind this old image and I definitly do not see her wear a skirt. Well, its the ground military probably and not the navy, but still. A best, I think that women may wear skirts for formal parade uniforms or secretary stuff, maybe.

Also, I am still working on doing some more things but I did not have the time recently since I was busy finishing preparing my racing stuff (which is done now). I already put on paper a Jin-Mei navy idea but I still have to do the male counterpart and I am also thinking to add colour to all of them.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jul 2012, 08:38 »

FTFY.

*groan*  :roll:

Ulf, I just want you to know I am so proud of you right now. :lol:

I think general-purpose uniforms in the State would have fewer differences between genders than dress uniforms beyond the obvious adjustments around the bust, hips and waist to make things fit better. Dress uniforms I could see women having conservatively long skirts instead of slacks - not floor-length, but a little longer than the ones available in the NeX, to give a visual comparison. Shin-length maybe?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jul 2012, 09:29 »

Also, I am still working on doing some more things but I did not have the time recently since I was busy finishing preparing my racing stuff (which is done now). I already put on paper a Jin-Mei navy idea but I still have to do the male counterpart and I am also thinking to add colour to all of them.

Funny you should bring that up, since I was thinking the Federation Army would have 'planetary regimental uniforms' like the Indian Army, but Navy/Marines would be standardized, since they are space forces. Right now, the only thing I committed to with this artist was combat fatigues.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 23 Jul 2012, 11:04 »

If a dress uniform includes a long coat and boots, that kind of hides the presence of a skirt or a dress underneath. For example, if Caldari dress uniforms would for a traditional reasons include something you could wear during a winter on Home, they most likely have a long coat. Such as that in the anime pic linked by Seri.

Here's a sample of old Finnish dragoon regiment winter wear. (Doesn't really matter that it's a greyscale picture, the coat is grey wool. They might wear red pants, though.) On the left, riding furs, and on the right, a long cavalry mantle. (A potentially better picture of the coat - belt missing.)
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2012, 11:11 by Mithfindel »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #28 on: 23 Jul 2012, 12:13 »

I want one of those coats. IRL.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jul 2012, 15:29 »

Some time, in the varied history of EVE fashion design from back before Incarna, we were shown a coat design that looks a lot like that. I think it was in a layout with texture and colour samples for the parts of the outfit. Ring any bells?

Also, given that Sruli Recht was apparently involved in a round of EVE clothing design at some point, I've wondered about adopting touches like concrete belt buckles, maybe taken from the ruins of some famously-destroyed planet and cut smooth for use.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6