Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char's voluval mark is the "Track of the Wolf"?

Author Topic: MacGuffins and Magnets: A brainstorming Session  (Read 1208 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Okay, so basically, this thread is to brainstorm ideas for how to generate IC conflicts. Actions that could be taken either ICly or Mechanically to provoke a combat response from another RP entity. Things to fight over, MacGuffins to move, magnets to how do they work I don't wanna talk to a scientist.

I think a good way to start is this:

Question One:
What would piss you/your character off enough to do something mechanically. What would drive you to shoot a pos or drop a wardec, or suicide gank a freighter or perform any game mechanical aggressive action? And I say you or your character because honestly, for game mechanical purposes, its good to get an enemy angry at you. It increases the will to fight and turns what could just be a slapfight into something real.

Question Two:
This one is tiered:

*What action could you as an individual RPer undertake to attempt ICly to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group?

*What action could you as a member of an RP corporation undertake to attempt ICly to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group?

*What action could you as a member of an RP alliance undertake to attempt ICly to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group?

Question Three:
This one is also tiered:

*What action could you as an individual eve player undertake to attempt mechanically to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group?

*What action could you as a member of an eve corporation undertake to attempt mechanically to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group?

*What action could you as a member of an eve alliance undertake to attempt mechanically to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group.

I make both sets of questions in the hope that we may start to see an overlap. OOC actions with IC repercussions. Eve is hard. Down with cuddles and sunshine. Lets get on with this.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: MacGuffins and Magnets: A brainstorming Session
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2012, 18:47 »

My replies:

Question One (What would piss your character off enough to do something):
- Repeatedly and/or vocally breaking Imperial law within Imperial borders.
- Invading the Empire.
- Invading someone else in the Empire's name.
- Being a Blood Raider.
- Supporting any of the above.

Question Two (What could you as an RPer/RP corp/RP alliance do to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group):
A complex answer, since Esna is inherently limited by a number of factors, including his deliberately and carefully fomented friendships with certain nominal "enemies", and his strict adherence to Imperial Law. However, I will still try to suggest some answers:
- Attacking and destroying Blood Raider outposts and colonies.
- Attacking terrorist camps in Republic space.
- Flushing out and destroying criminal rings in the Empire which may have connections to some of the various criminal RPers.

Question three (same as above, but with ingame mechanics):
...and here is where I run into a problem: I've long felt (and considered posting a thread on here about) that Esna it pragmatic for his own good as an RP character. Given the choice between a grandeur show of force that leaves him or his forces open for attack and a quieter option that gets the job done quickly and efficiently, he will choose the latter and only trumpet his victories once the day is actually one.
Unfortunately, this translates poorly to game mechanics: Esna is no fool, and has seen how quickly capsuleers can mobilize a defense or counterattack. He isn't likely to leave himself open.

And I'm afraid it's killing my RP.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2012, 19:09 »

1. What would piss your character off enough to do something...
- Physically attacking a family member or loved one

2. What could you as a character do to provoke another party to do something...
- Go Sansha
- Go EoM

3. What could you as a player do to provoke another party to do something...
- Be a spai

It occurs to me that Uraniae is a very non-confrontational sort of person and I just don't see her doing something to deliberately harm someone unless it's a matter of self defense or the defense of a loved one.

Reyd Karris

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2012, 01:15 »

Question One:
My current character? Very little. She won't openly engage in armed conflict. She will, however, attempt to get others to do her dirty work. If pushed into a corner, she'll fight her way out.

Question Two:

*What action could you as an individual RPer undertake to attempt ICly to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group? Simple: attack their ideology, or challenge their core beliefs. "Why won't you help these people if they are exactly who you claim to protect? Why won't you attack this enemy, as they are everything you oppose?" That sort of thing.

Question Three:

*What action could you as an individual eve player undertake to attempt mechanically to deliberately provoke a response from another RP group? Same as above. Add in manipulation of close associates. Stir, add explosions slowly until well mixed.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2012, 06:12 »

Question One: What would piss you/your character off enough to do something mechanically?
  • Repeatedly and/or vocally breaking Imperial Law within Imperial borders
  • Invading the Amarr Empire, Khanid Kingdom or Ammatar Mandate
  • Invading someone else in the name of the Empire
  • Repeatedly and/or vocally profaning the Amarr faith by claiming to follow it yet acting completely contrary to its precepts (heresy)
  • Extreme and repetitive blasphemy against God
  • Being a Blood Raider

Question Two: What actions would you take to deliberately provoke an IC response?
  • War declarations
  • Public defaming of heretics and criminal elements in the Empire
  • Public presentation of facts and evidence against the above
  • Attacking pilots and assets
  • Hostile RP in local

Question Three: What actions would you as a player take to mechanically provoke a response?
  • War declarations
  • Attacking pilots and assets
  • Market warfare (asset denial)

"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2012, 12:23 »

1. What would trigger your character enough to do something mechanically?

Any visible event where I think I can truly affect the outcome of that event through mechanics (and am not dependent on a scripted outcome solely influenced by the other party) and which is not stupid nor wasteful for my character to attempt. I must be able to notice and affect the trigger offered by the other party.

The devil is not in the 'what', there are laundry lists of actions that would trigger Merdaneth to take action. It is more a question of *how* the person executes said trigger. Let me give a few examples:

Example 1
Somebody post he's aiding slaves to escape from their masters in the Empire, but there are no independently verifiable actions made in-game to support his claim (he doesn't perform any in-game actions to support his claim).

Result: I do nothing.

Example 2
Somebody post he's aiding slaves to escape from their masters in the Empire, and he is actually moving slaves from the Empire to another place, but he isn't doing it himself and isn't telling me who he's (alt or third party) using.

Result: I do nothing.

Example 3
Somebody post he's aiding slaves to escape from their masters in the Empire, and he is actually moving slaves from the Empire to another place, and he is using alts or third parties.

Result: I contact those parties and try to verify the story. If they admit to it, I might threaten them with a war-dec if that's feasible (they are not hauling in an NPC corp and aren't part of a big alliance for example)

Example 4
Somebody post he's aiding slaves to escape from their masters in the Empire, and he is actually moving slaves from the Empire to another place, and he is doing it himself.

Result: I contact him and might threaten him with a war dec if he does not desist. I gather intel by using locator agents and other sources to try and find out when and where he is shipping from. If I manage to find out (within a reasonable timeframe and effort) the location and the timeframe, then I will make sure I'm there to see how he will actually move said slaves. If he does not employ cloaked vessels, fast uncatchable ships or doesn't dock up as soon as hostiles appear and wait until we leave, then I might considering issueing the actual war-dec or suicide ganking his hauler.

Example 5
Somebody let's slip (through intermediaries) that he's aiding slaves to escape from their masters in the Empire, and that he is actually moving slaves from the Empire to another place, that he is doing it himself, leaks the time and place, is convincing that it's not just misinformation, and has a solid reason that he must finish his operation within the timeframe he has given and thus doesn't dock up and wait for me to leave to finish his mission or abort it altogether...

Result: *then* I will be actually issuing that war-dec and/or preparing for suicide ganks.

My point
Unless someone provides me with a lot of very specific triggers, I don't see the point in putting effort into what is likely a ghost chase with many hours invested for zero results.

I know tons of heretics, lawbreakers, illegals, profaners, invaders etc. But unless they provide me with a clear target to aim for, and put themselves willingly at risk, there is simply not a lot I can do to a somewhat smart player.

Incidentally, I've posted on the IGS about a number of operations I was preparing to do, in which I made myself vulnerable in-space and/or provided evidence or pointers to the when and where of my operation. The only people who responded to those operations until now were those who wanted to help me somehow (either known allies, or in a few cases 'neutrals'). I've not yet had opposition by enemies. Maybe because of the reasons mentioned above: too much effort or too little security that they might actually be able to affect the outcome.

Another example:
Some years ago TRIAD posted on the IGS that they were temporarily pulling out of FW to train new recruits and build up war material in high-sec Republic. As soon as I read this, I scouted out their base of operations (I was not in FW at the time), I moved a lot of ships to the an Amarr station nearest to their base and declared war. Then I flew around that area in hopes of encountering a few of them. That was sufficient for me to have provoked a mechical response from me.

2. and 3 (Provoking responses)?

Two options:
1. Shooting them and/or their assets/friends
2. Making public information that damages their reputation.

Really, I haven't got a clue otherwise. Otherwise I would have done so a lot more. I've tried a lot....
Of course, this pertains to provoke 'hostile' responses, its a lot easier to provoke cooperative responses.