Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Who can draw uniforms?  (Read 18932 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Who can draw uniforms?
« on: 16 Jun 2012, 07:55 »

Okay, I'm fed up of having an imagination and being unable to express it outside of writing because I am an MSPaint retard.

Who can draw uniforms to a standard like this and that? Guy has some nice stuff, like this potentially Imperial stuff and so and so

Community brainstorm ideas. I'm flagrant enough to throw money at someone for it. There's already plenty of material for Caldari laying around (some old AT poster on EVE's Facebook page has something, for example), stuff like this or this for Gallente. Drawing blanks for Minmatar, unless we assume a mixture of less regal Gallente with their tribal stuff.

If no one can, or doesn't know someone who could, it's okay. I'll just cry myself to sleep.

Lyn Farel

Re: Who can draw uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2012, 08:05 »

I could but I have to admit that I am lazy and will have to find the motivation to do so. Will try to do something because I find it really interesting but do not count too much on me. Anyway, the more people the better. :)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2012, 13:35 »

Requesting that if there is gender differentiation of uniforms they each show similar amounts of skin. If you think the Gallente women's dress uniform should have a miniskirt (as in the last reference picture) I'd like to see the men's equivalent with hot pants, and their top admirals wearing them for a formal engagement.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2012, 14:08 »

Requesting that if there is gender differentiation of uniforms they each show similar amounts of skin. If you think the Gallente women's dress uniform should have a miniskirt (as in the last reference picture) I'd like to see the men's equivalent with hot pants, and their top admirals wearing them for a formal engagement.

I'm not sure if hot pants is a really equivalent exchange, because ultimately the skin IS being covered.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2012, 14:35 »

I'm not sure if hot pants is a really equivalent exchange, because ultimately the skin IS being covered.

I can't really see Intaki taking to the idea, either, although maybe there's official uniform body paint for Mannar.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2012, 14:48 »

Not much a fan of female uniforms with skirts either. About the only 'fair' exchange then is to have both use normal pants. Unless the female uniform uses a more skin-tight covering of some sort under the skirt, but how fair that is can be debated.

Or, alternatively both genders get a basic kind of 'covering' under the main uniform, in the vein of a jump-suit or the like, and then wear the uniform pants/skirts and jackets over that again. I've always liked that idea better - if your a crew-member of any rank on a space-ship, it makes more sense to use a sort of air-tight covering that can be sealed with the swift addition of a helmet, for instance. If you manage to make it thin enough to add a more normal cloth-based uniform over that, or make varieties of it with different coloring and/or markings to denote rank, well, it simply seems the far more logical considering their jobs.

Now, planetary/station based parade uniforms are a different matter.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2012, 15:39 »

Hohoho, without moving the primary purpose away from finding someone who could imagine these, this requires some curious thought.

A lot of the United States Navy traditions (incl. uniform) are derived from UK Royal Navy traditions, which then come from centuries worth of some really archaic and anachronistic practices, yet have just stuck. The default idea of "Men in manly stuff, women in feminine stuff" for Gallente, for example, would be our automatic assumption, because we might see the Fed military as your standard, Terran volunteer military that has taken American values into space (eg. Star Trek).

But as Matariki points out, what's stopping the Gallente from having skirts for men? My initial reaction to her post was "No, that's gaaaaaay and stoooopid" (though I would say that the women, if they did wear skirts on a spaceship rather than a ubiquitous jumpsuit, would wear fire-retardant tights), but that's just me projecting my RL values onto it. There's the question if the Fed military traditions are standardized between all major members for political equality reasons, or if it's just those wacky Gallente shoehorning their traditions in. Even then, Gallente never had a Christendom like US/Europe does, and with the major landmark in Caille being a cathedral to some goddess, one can really have no idea*.

Then there's the question if one sees the Caldari as a "Gallente offshoot", that their military retains trappings of the Federal one, and never really updated it because of "it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Amarr I'd definitely see as having some traits that were adopted for reasons dating back hundreds of years. One could assume the Republic Fleet retain their Gallente structure and foundation (again changing the fundamental structure for vanity reasons might be a bad idea and impractical), but aesthetically and other matters, have been adding in their tribal stuff.

BUT, rather than turning this into another chin-wagging thread, best to just go with one set idea for whoever steps up.

*I believe in the Gallente religion article it says the ethnic Gallente have strong definitions of masculinity and femininity. How this manifests itself is any one's guess.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2012, 17:32 »

Somehow, I knew this would be Seri's thread  ;)

In any case, skirt for Gallente is something that should be frowned upon. Why? Because we're not dealing (from a general PF perspective) with an overly chauvinistic society, indeed we are dealing with the most egalitarian society in New Eden.

In case you haven't clocked it yet, the point is thus: Gender equality means more to the Gallente than making the gals in uniform look like strippers.

In any case I had some ideas about Minmatar uniform which always seems to be the neglected one, will find images to illustrate

Also, I would pay isk for a decent uniform artist. Just droppin it out there...
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2012, 18:11 »

Hohoho, without moving the primary purpose away from finding someone who could imagine these, this requires some curious thought.

A lot of the United States Navy traditions (incl. uniform) are derived from UK Royal Navy traditions, which then come from centuries worth of some really archaic and anachronistic practices, yet have just stuck. The default idea of "Men in manly stuff, women in feminine stuff" for Gallente, for example, would be our automatic assumption, because we might see the Fed military as your standard, Terran volunteer military that has taken American values into space (eg. Star Trek).

But as Matariki points out, what's stopping the Gallente from having skirts for men? My initial reaction to her post was "No, that's gaaaaaay and stoooopid" (though I would say that the women, if they did wear skirts on a spaceship rather than a ubiquitous jumpsuit, would wear fire-retardant tights), but that's just me projecting my RL values onto it. There's the question if the Fed military traditions are standardized between all major members for political equality reasons, or if it's just those wacky Gallente shoehorning their traditions in. Even then, Gallente never had a Christendom like US/Europe does, and with the major landmark in Caille being a cathedral to some goddess, one can really have no idea*.

Then there's the question if one sees the Caldari as a "Gallente offshoot", that their military retains trappings of the Federal one, and never really updated it because of "it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Amarr I'd definitely see as having some traits that were adopted for reasons dating back hundreds of years. One could assume the Republic Fleet retain their Gallente structure and foundation (again changing the fundamental structure for vanity reasons might be a bad idea and impractical), but aesthetically and other matters, have been adding in their tribal stuff.

BUT, rather than turning this into another chin-wagging thread, best to just go with one set idea for whoever steps up.

*I believe in the Gallente religion article it says the ethnic Gallente have strong definitions of masculinity and femininity. How this manifests itself is any one's guess.

The chin-wagging is the aspect of this thread that appeals to me. I hope to continue it while keeping the thread in the public eye, in the hope that someone will step up and take on the commission. :)

This brings up lots of interesting stuff.

I'd say that our current experience of military uniforms is that they change a lot over time. Dress uniforms may retain anachronisms, but field gear responds to very practical needs.

I wonder, though, how Gallente the Federation military is. That blurring caused by the use of "Gallente" for both the ethnicity and the wider Federation shouldn't blind us to the Federation's Gallente/Minmatar/Intaki/Mannar/Jin-Mei/other make-up, and the likelihood that the FedMil is somehow accommodating of its different cultures.

I also wonder whether the FedMil would have dress uniforms at all. This is one aspect where I think you could argue that the basic (ethnic) Gallente valuing of the preciousness and liberty of the individual might come into play. Formal wear might be whatever is stylish and appropriate civilian clothing, perhaps with the addition of a sash or piece of jewellery as a marker of rank. The traditional Intaki admiral might get to wear long robes, with the Admiralty Star of the Federation as a brooch (like the modern Garter Star, say), while a Mannar admiral might wear appropriate formal body paint with the Star worn as a pierced nipple shield, or a hair ornament. If ethnic Gallente are into their strongly-gendered cultural-religious thang that might mean they could display whatever it is that betokens gender to Gallente: waist-to-hip ratio, well-muscled thighs, a front-facing pregnancy-bustle as a reminder of the Great Mother's generative power, etc.

When there are particular groups or sub-cultural alliances within the FedMil they might tend to adopt similar styles. I can imagine the Caldari officers choosing to adopt a uniform or near-uniform for dress occasions, and that having been a point of underlying tension, for instance. We know that (neo-)traditional Minmatar formal wear is topless in order to show one's marks, which would have all sorts of implications for the marked and the unmarked among the FedMatari. Fashion reports of formal military events might be scoured for intel about alliances and allegiances within the military.

Where there are Gallente uniforms--and I do imagine practical and field uniforms--I imagine them being designed for stylish looks as well as function. Uniforms for which a fashion-conscious youth might be tempted to temporarily relinquish utter freedom of clothing choice.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2012, 18:31 »

I am willing to throw money at this artist if they do I-RED uniforms as well.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2012, 09:09 »

The chin-wagging is the aspect of this thread that appeals to me. I hope to continue it while keeping the thread in the public eye, in the hope that someone will step up and take on the commission. :)

This brings up lots of interesting stuff.

I'd say that our current experience of military uniforms is that they change a lot over time. Dress uniforms may retain anachronisms, but field gear responds to very practical needs.

I wonder, though, how Gallente the Federation military is. That blurring caused by the use of "Gallente" for both the ethnicity and the wider Federation shouldn't blind us to the Federation's Gallente/Minmatar/Intaki/Mannar/Jin-Mei/other make-up, and the likelihood that the FedMil is somehow accommodating of its different cultures.

I also wonder whether the FedMil would have dress uniforms at all. This is one aspect where I think you could argue that the basic (ethnic) Gallente valuing of the preciousness and liberty of the individual might come into play. Formal wear might be whatever is stylish and appropriate civilian clothing, perhaps with the addition of a sash or piece of jewellery as a marker of rank. The traditional Intaki admiral might get to wear long robes, with the Admiralty Star of the Federation as a brooch (like the modern Garter Star, say), while a Mannar admiral might wear appropriate formal body paint with the Star worn as a pierced nipple shield, or a hair ornament. If ethnic Gallente are into their strongly-gendered cultural-religious thang that might mean they could display whatever it is that betokens gender to Gallente: waist-to-hip ratio, well-muscled thighs, a front-facing pregnancy-bustle as a reminder of the Great Mother's generative power, etc.

When there are particular groups or sub-cultural alliances within the FedMil they might tend to adopt similar styles. I can imagine the Caldari officers choosing to adopt a uniform or near-uniform for dress occasions, and that having been a point of underlying tension, for instance. We know that (neo-)traditional Minmatar formal wear is topless in order to show one's marks, which would have all sorts of implications for the marked and the unmarked among the FedMatari. Fashion reports of formal military events might be scoured for intel about alliances and allegiances within the military.

Where there are Gallente uniforms--and I do imagine practical and field uniforms--I imagine them being designed for stylish looks as well as function. Uniforms for which a fashion-conscious youth might be tempted to temporarily relinquish utter freedom of clothing choice.

Damnit, wonder if we'll have to go to the official EVE-O forums to find folk.

I like all of these ideas, though I would think there would need to be some PF clarification that connects culture/race to something more official. Like, the variations in British military uniforms are tied to the various regiments and brigades. It seems while Intaki are connected to the Intaki solar system, Mannar are connected to the Mannar solar system, Jin-Mei to Mei-ha/Lirsautton, the ethnic Gallente are a bit more all over the place. If we assume by "member races" we mean "member systems", then it would be Luminaire. Then you might have a 'culturally universal' uniforms for those who do not subscribe to the four major members. Would the mysterious "minor members" (vague references to these guys) receive any representation in terms of military fashion?

It also seems that if Gallente ships are highly automated, then they are quite possibly the safest and 'cleanest', with no open machinery or moving parts (esp. versus Minmatar). That would make skirts more plausible. Speaking of male skirts (and sorry for otaku'ing all over the place, can't help but watch a lot of non-gritty sci-fi anime and steal Gallente ideas), but there is the ZAFT uniform from Gundam Seed here. Women could ditch the trousers and expose a bit of leg, or something. Though one of the female characters seems to have a shorter variant with a non-reg skirt beneath. Not sure if it's 'non-reg skirt' as much as it is 'fan service'.

I also also approve of factionalism within the Federation Navy. The Federation as a single entity (government, administration, police, navy) above all its lower parts is pretty freakin' huge, especially when its broken down by individuals and communities, not a handful of monolithic megas or houses. Their could even be Factions with a capital F. I'm experimenting with a concept of this "Peacedealer Faction" (anti-Vulture), which is headed by a Senator, and has several members/assets of the military aligned to it. But that's not really related.

I also also also like this Great Mother thing (may steal it :3c ). And yeah, I do believe that the Gallente's concepts of masculinity and femininity might be heavily based on the physique, rather than anything else (eg. headscarf in ye olde churches to fight off devil thoughts, was it?).

But yeah, EVE-O forums might be the place to find people...

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2012, 11:32 »

I tried to do a minmatar space technician. Probably a generic republic fleet midshipman or the like in utility uniform (not the parade one).

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2012, 13:11 »

That is awesome, Lyn :D

Are you a colourer? Too bad I'm not in EVE right now. Would spam it in OOC or something for exposure (hope people in Backstage give this thread a look).

I think it's very fitting, especially considering if Minmatar ships are heavily mechanical and greasy. Perhaps the beret is a Gallente adoption?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2012, 14:41 »

Yes I can add colour but first things first, I would like to draw at lest a few of them before. Colour is optional, and I prefer to create more uncolored models than to create only a coloured few. Also, I think people can easily imagine a lot of different patterns of colour when the layout is already there. And the most important, it is a lot easier to bring modifications to it BEFORE adding the colour.

Maybe gallente for the beret yes, I had a thought about what to use for the head and reminded some african uniforms wearing the beret. Actually iirc, all the african uniforms I see IRL have berets.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2012, 14:45 by Lyn Farel »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2012, 15:39 »

Regarding Minmatar uniforms, I'd suggest designing Federation ones first, then riffing on those for Republic ones.
The Republic Military School (from which all Minmatar enlists graduate) was for a long time the bastard child of the Minmatar education system - it existed because it was perceived as needed, but it had no support; most military personnel were Gallente trained. In recent years, however, as the Republic tries to ascertain its total independence, efforts are being made to transform the RMS into a top-notch military school.
The Republic Fleet was formed from the surviving elements of the rebel fleet after the Minmatar Rebellion.

(Does anyone know if there was a different RF description before the 2009 retcon about there being a long-standing rebel military? All I can tell is that the wiki history shows this version as an Abraxas edit from December 2011, with only a placeholder page before that.)
For example, Republic Navy personnel will wear uniforms with rank identifiers, but their true mark of rank is considered to be their body mark, even though this is not usually displayed.

There may be references to Republic uniforms and gear in TEA and "that DUST chronicle". DUST may offer concept art for ground troops, although I'm not sure if there's more than just DUST drop suits available yet.

I expect that the Republic Fleet is Gallente-meets-tribal. I started spinning up some stuff about that--Gallente options mean you don't have to privilege one tribe's customs over another, but with the recent tribal cultural renaissance I expect there will be continuing moves to find tribal substitutes for things that began as Gallente borrowings--but then I hit the "I'm still grumpy and confused about the retcon" thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6