Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Arek'jaalan: The analysis  (Read 23115 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Arek'jaalan: The Verdict
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:32 »

Yeah, it's just the amusing note that the more inclusive you are, the less inclusive you are, since you by default exclude those who won't work with their worst enemies.

Well, that depends. Do those 'who won't work with their worst enemies' outnumber those they'd need to see excluded in order to participate? Even if, for example, you excluded the Sansha and the Sani Sabik (maybe EOM too?), you'd still have the other Empires, etc. Using Miz as an example (and feel free to tell me I've misjudged her) I wouldn't expect to see her happy so long as Imperial loyalists were involved. So in order to get people like her involved, you'd have to exclude a lot more people.

On the other side, you've got the Amarr loyalists that don't want anything to do with it because Hilen went to the republic. Honestly, I don't think kicking out the handful of sansha and other 'pirate' loyalists is going to get you much back.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:37 »

...all influence over the project to the Sansha, and letting them get first dibs on whatever knowledge this scientist comes up with?

That won't happen

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:39 »

I'm not sure of the problem with Arek'jaalan taking the inclusive route -- if in doing so your character wouldn't be happy to work with it, then surely it's just a matter of their not getting involved? Lord knows there's been RP I've found intriguing that Kyber'd just have no part in for any number of reasons. vOv

I'd be inclined to say that the events that were more faction-centric would be kept relatively quiet, too; there may be some stuff to that end going on already, if you believe Dropbears mutterings. I mean, there's no point bringing it to the attention of the entire cluster if all someone wants is <Angels | Republic loyalists | Guristas | Caldari practicals>.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2011, 13:14 »

So wait...Seriphyn is surrendering all influence over the project to the Sansha, and letting them get first dibs on whatever knowledge this scientist comes up with?
Or did I read that wrong?

Very good point. I was considering Seriphyn on the ethics committee, but it involves someone who doesn't like me both IC and OOC for some reason (barely interacted with them) so :ugh:
This might be OOC motivated* but Myyona pays little to no interest to or respect for the Ethics Committee. None of the people present there appears to have any scientific background, have provided any scientific contributions to the current research topic and all of them appears to run personal agendas as far away from objective science as possible.

She might believe that adding to this project is for the betterment of all mankind but she is far from naive to believe other capsuleers share this view. Still, curiosity and scientist at heart makes her do her contribution. If she ever stumbles on groundbreaking discoveries she will do a great effort in taking it a long way around the Ethics Committee.

*: Clarification; I dislike people trying to take claim for scientific work they have done no hard work contribution to.  Not that I am against peoples fictional allegiances/agendas.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2011, 13:22 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jul 2011, 13:18 »

I may have mentioned this already.  If I have, forgive me.  Brain's been all over the place for the past couple of weeks, and the damn thing hasn't been calling home to let me know how the vacation's going.  Ungrateful piece of grey matter.

Celeste peeked in for a looksee to establish who the players were, confirm for herself that Tukoss was doing a fine job of recruiting research assistants on the cheap (the man is Caldari, after all: likely quite mindful of a fiscal bottom line), and to drop some suggestion bombs just to see what fish jumped out of the water.  She thinks she could be useful in Tukoss' little cult, because, well, decades of putting up with Senate Research Appropriations talks are good for something ... but, eh.    There's definitely Angel interest, as she'd suspected, and she'd rather the Angels not know too much about her research interests.  Wouldn't want to be interesting, after all.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2011, 14:06 »

Yeah, it's just the amusing note that the more inclusive you are, the less inclusive you are, since you by default exclude those who won't work with their worst enemies.

It's what happens when you play WoW in space.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2011, 17:11 »

Over all, too early to say much about this yet. Unlike the Sansha side of things where we've been going for a year+, and I can point out things that need working on, Arek'jaalan is still too early to tell. Mind you, I've only been in one of their channels and stopped listening to the mailing list after I got <30 mails in one day from it.

I don't know how well the live event team will manage running Arek'jaalan, Sleeper storyline, Sansha storyline, Facwar events, etc. Some of these are not mutually exclusive. Could happen, but a lot of the storyline bits are pretty tangled together. There's also since the live event team is only two real people at the moment, I don't know how taxing this will be on them.

I want to say the issue will probably come down to their man power, time, and how much attention they can pay to each strand at any given moment. I would really just say wait and see how Arek'jaalan is doing a year into it - although that is quite a lot of time to invest into an experiment.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Aodha Khan

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2011, 02:42 »

The verdict: This is a long, long term project - not in the least because I think CCP is still figuring out what makes any given subset of the playerbase tick, what makes us go "meh", and what makes us convulse with an all-consuming rage.  :P

They have had 8 years of doing this....don't you think they should have concluded something by now?  :bash:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:23 »

Too much inclusive or not enough ? Well, the problem is not that, the problem is that they run each time only a part of the factions revolving around a stated RP big issue.

Last time it was Sansha vs CONCORD, with very little of the rest, but at least they tried to set directions to Guristas stances, etc. Now we lack of other faction representatives so everyone end up to work for Hilen Tukoss because thats the only IC dev played faction/group/entity here. What are the republic loyalists thinking ? Imperialists ? Federalists ? Etc... they do not even have created a single Caldari Zainou main character to create an opposite side (have they ?). What are the pirate factions thinking too ? What the hell are they doing ? Sleeping ? Now we see people like Revan getting involved in that project, I am not saying it is bad, but it sounds surely weird. Maybe Hilen Tukoss does not care (apparently he doesn't). Ok with me.

But if we have had different factions with identifiable dev characters to rally, this inclusive issue wouldn't have existed in the first place, for the simple reason that every player would have picked his side instead of rushing the only available option : Hilen Tukoss happy club.

And I know perfectly why this is not happening : they have not enough dev actors.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2011, 09:56 »

It's an ambitious project, one with lots of bureaucracy and organization, and very little leadership. This is the problem with the project and it's not CCP's fault. From what I've observed, there are three kinds of people:

1) They log in, say hello in chat, and ask if anything has transpired. When they hear "no, nothing." they complain about how slow going things are and log off or do something else.
2) They message the event actor constantly, provide theories and tiny bits of data along the way. Kinda like dogs, they drool a lot, wag their tail, and look helpful, but really they're just knocking all the furniture over.
3) The 'overlords', or 'pseudo-leadership' that throw lots of money at the problem and hope that fixes it.

The problem I see with this project is that players are assuming that if they do enough then the actor will fill the rest in and give them all the answers. The problem might be that they are asking too much, or are expecting too much from its player base, or they've just plain overestimated them. It's not to say that players are stupid, but those of us who have been around know how events run and have certain expectations, and I think this might be an attempt at trying something entirely different.

Myyona touched on a couple points that I thought were relevant, specifically about players not approaching this project with a scientific mindset. There's tons of theory crafting, but not too much effort on the 'organize and collate evidence' part, cause that actually takes time and effort, and who the hell wants to do all that when they log in? Well, I would, but I have races to run and something resembling a life, so my participation thus far has been lackluster, but that's not for a lack of trying.

I think what this project needs are some dedicated teams and/or strong central leadership, and I don't think that's what Tukoss was meant for in this scenario. He's definitely a guide, but he's not going to hand you the answers to this project on a silver platter (i hope!).

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:14 »

So basically, Arek'jaalan needs it's own Grad Students for the slave work?

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:35 »

Pretty much. lol

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2011, 10:25 »

Well, with the whole thing with Lianda Burreau, I've suddenly been given a reason to be IC involved, yay. Well, I think. All I know is that the FIO want the professor.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2011, 16:32 »

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1557731

From a strictly IC perspective, this should be worth a read. Certainly an intersting twist.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #29 on: 27 Jul 2011, 18:34 »

Yay! someone made a private endeavor!

This is an excellent effort, and respectably IC, so I salute Pilot Neferis for a substantial venture in a career of otherwise notorious goings-on.   

8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13