Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Slavers hunt by jumping high in the air and coming down on their prey from above?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Captain's Quarters - Screenshots and Impressions, from an RP Perspective  (Read 18068 times)

Shaalira

• Egger

As you all know, the Captain's Quarter feature is now available for testing in Duality.  CCP said that it's in a rough, early state and it definitely shows - expect a lot of graphical errors, CTDs, and bugs.  I'll leave the discussion of the bugs to the test server forum.

Character Animation

The character animation tends to be believable, without too much uncanny valley effect.  Like a lot of isometric and third-person RPGs, the character engages in a number of 'idle' animations when you're not doing anything.  She will look around, idly examine her hand, and make the various expressions of a tourist taking in the sights.

There's currently no direct control of these animations.  There are no controls you can use to direct your character to shrug, wave, etc.  Given that CQ is an instanced, private area, it's quite possible that that kind of interaction control might not be implemented in this iteration.

You can sit down on the couch.  This is rather buggy and you may end up hovering on the area in front of it.  Also, walking animations in general could use a lot of work - particularly in pacing the area covered to the animation and convincingly going up and down stairs.

The character does react to her environment.  If you move her right up to the big display screens, she'll look up t them and adjust the angle of her head and eyes accordingly.

Controls and Interaction

Movement is basic.  You move using the 'WSAD' keys familiar to anyone that's played a first-person shooter.  To adjust the camera angle, you can use the same left-click drag or right-click hold mouse controls that work for ship flight.  There is no running (or jumping, or crouching).

To interact with objects, you walk close to them and right-click to get a menu.  For example, you manually walk close to the couch then right-click on it to get the option to sit on it.

The various displays in your captain's quarters correspond to in-game menus.  The big planet screen sends you to your PI tab in the Industry menu.  Clicking on the ship model lets you access your fitting window.  There's a small holofeed on the table that sends you to an agent finder function.

You can still use the menus and station buttons as normal.  The CQ environment loads up automaticly when you dock.

There is a balcony area where you can walk up and view your ship.  Be warned that small ships will seem very distant and small.  I flew in with an interceptor, and it was a little smidge from afar.

Communication

There are no talk bubbles or related animation functionality in this iteration.  Chat windows are kept open when you dock and the CQ environment loads up, and you can access your EVEmail, browser, etc.

General Impression

The Captain's Quarter is the very first iteration of Incarna, and is a private, instanced environment.  As such, the social features that many RPers would be particularly interested in - talking with other characters in person, directing their avatar like an actor in a story - are still a long ways off.

Still, if the bugs are ironed out and all the rough edges smoothed, it does have a lot of potential for immersion.  I do appreciate the attempt to give most of the objects some functionality (even if they are largely redundant with the station menu and neocom options).  I imagine players will take the time to walk up to their viewscreens (and activate them with a dramatic wave of the hand) when they're feeling particularly into their character.

As for new player retention, it is a nice bit of eye candy and helps smoothen out the culture shock of people coming in from traditional MMORPGs.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Nice, downloading now. The Minmatar CQ don't appear as rustic as the station itself...perhaps Minmatar stations will get an update?

Also, hooray for Gallentean jackets and uplifted busts?

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?

Movement is basic.  You move using the 'WSAD' keys familiar to anyone that's played a first-person shooter.

Fuck that noise. Click-move today, click-move tomorrow, click-move forever!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Sounds decent. My major fear is that CCP will derp somewhere along the way and force you to interact with the station environment instead of using the UI buttons.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

If that's your major fear, then they're doing pretty well.

Hamish Grayson

It's niffty I guess.  It's nothing like how I imagined Hamish's clothes or in station living quarters would look like, but guess it does look pretty.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

It is promising. I will be happy to have this replace the stationspin that we currently have now.

I hope there are body language templates though. Seriphyn fidgets, which is okay because the current model does so when walking or standing around (not idle animation in fact, animations take place even when walking)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

It's niffty I guess.  It's nothing like how I imagined Hamish's clothes or in station living quarters would look like, but guess it does look pretty.

well, to be fair, these are made out to be basically a motel room in the stations you visit.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

Alms-- er, screenshots? Screenshots for the moderately-impoverished-and-short-on-drive-space?

Orestes

• Clonejack

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

Being as I often imagine Aria hanging out on a sofa or in a chair while chatting over Galnet or checking market figures, I have been looking forward to this feature so damn much. Actually getting to interact with people will, of course, be better, but having visuals to shape my imaginings is an excellent start.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

The total lack of guests means that this, for now, is a pure "nice to have but meh" thing.

Crucifire

Click to move is less like trying to control a cow in a shopping cart than WASD, but still clunkier than it should be

Other than that there's lots of little graphical annoying things and not much to do so I shot at navy in my impairor until I had a CTD and that sums up my experience with CQ

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette

I'm going to wait until this hits SiSi to pass judgement, to be honest. I feel there'd be far too little data this early in the development process to form an opinion.

Shaalira

• Egger

Alms-- er, screenshots? Screenshots for the moderately-impoverished-and-short-on-drive-space?

As requested...
[spoiler]

Walking as seen from the front.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Walking as seen from behind.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Having a small ship doesn't exactly make for a dramatic visual.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Ship swapping changes what's in the hangar view.  How about that?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

I can just about touch it!
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

This part of the room could use a few more sepia-flavored viewscreens, don't you think?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Mother always warned me about staying too close to the holofeeds.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

This lady looks vaguely familiar.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2011, 14:17 by Shaalira »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7