Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DED has very long-standing military laws governing the conduct of its officers.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: IC Rogue Drones?  (Read 18286 times)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: IC Rogue Drones?
« Reply #120 on: 29 Jul 2011, 14:41 »

Aroo?

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #121 on: 29 Jul 2011, 19:03 »

So the Enheduanni are coming forth.
The Jovians are cured of their disease.

Hope this plays out better than expected.
Interesting times. Pick a side Ascension or Humanity.

Einar Nils

• Clonejack
« Reply #122 on: 31 Jul 2011, 15:58 »

A little crazy I admit.

There's nothing around to disprove it but yes, that doesn't make it so. Still I'd be surprised for there to be another post-human, Jovian related, teleportation using faction in the game revealed before the Enheduanni.  I'd also feel a little misled to find that the Jovian condition, the known effects of which so closely match the symptoms Vitoc, has been unaffected by the introduction of Insorum

On a more thread relevant note: The Rogue Drones seem tied in to both Insorum, being its apparant caretakers, and the Jovians, building their structures and using visual representations of them. There are also connections to the Sleepers. A mission chain exists involving Rogue Drones and a Sleeper drone and the structures the drones have been building match those used by the Second Empire, at least given the example in the Heaven chronicle art.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #123 on: 31 Jul 2011, 18:56 »

I can't speak for CCP obviously, but I'm fairly confident that the Sleeper arc is fairly divorced from the Enheduanni. Dropbear doesn't seem to be driving in that direction.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #124 on: 01 Aug 2011, 07:34 »

I'd also feel a little misled to find that the Jovian condition, the known effects of which so closely match the symptoms Vitoc, has been unaffected by the introduction of Insorum

On a more thread relevant note: The Rogue Drones seem tied in to both Insorum, being its apparant caretakers, and the Jovians, building their structures and using visual representations of them.

I'm curious where you got these two from, I hadn't heard anything to that effect, particularly about the Rogue Drones having Insorum. Just a passing curiosity.

Einar Nils

• Clonejack
« Reply #125 on: 01 Aug 2011, 10:44 »

The symptoms of Vitoc can be found in the EVElopedia article The Vitoc Problem.
The drones being in possession of Insorum is covered in The Empyrean Age. The same novel in which they are also seen harvesting Isogen V operating from a massive "Europa Shipyards" station.
Jovian structures being constructed by Rogue Drones is best showcased here.

Hope this helps Victoria.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #126 on: 01 Aug 2011, 11:53 »

Plenty familiar with Vitoc, same with the drones building jovian stuffs, just hadn't heard anything about the Jovian condition being similar to vitoxin infection (that seems strange) or the drones having Insorum (although I've not read TEA because, well, it's TEA  :bash:  :psyccp: ). I thoguht insorum was the subject of a few rather large research projects, in addition to one or two alliances having samples of it.

Einar Nils

• Clonejack
« Reply #127 on: 01 Aug 2011, 12:48 »

Quote from: Victoria Stecker
just hadn't heard anything about the Jovian condition being similar to vitoxin infection (that seems strange)

Relate the following to what is known of the Jovians:

Quote from: The Vitoc Problem
Increased activity of mirror neurons in the premotor cortex and the inferior parietal cortex, leading to a strong sense of empathy, intimacy and trust as well as an increased rate of learning by mimicry.
Suppression of adrenaline and testosterone production, leading to a near-total abatement of any sense of fear, insecurity or aggression in the subject.
Oxytocin acts as a suppressant in the amygdala, the portion of the human brain responsible for the ability to feel fear.
Studies conducted by Sebiestor Tribe personnel have shown that introduction of oxytocin into the cerebro-spinal fluid of a wide variety of mammals can cause even a virgin female to accept foreign offspring, displaying archetypal maternal behaviour even to young of another species. Both females and males treated in such a way showed protective behaviour towards young specimens introduced to their environment.
Over the long term, Vitoc has been shown to have neurotoxic properties that cause a lasting decrease in the brain's serotonin uptake sites, causing clinical depression. In 0.2% of cases, there is also damage to the amygdala, resulting chronic psychosis in the patient. To date, these effects have proven unresponsive to therapy.

Reference Admiral Ouria for an example of the 0.2%.

Consider that what is beleived to be the Jovian Disease may instead be the Jovians keeping a Vitoxin-like virus from affecting them. That they keep on taking the "cure" even when it kills them. That this virus may have served a different purpose at some point.

A pivotal factor in neutralising the lethal effects of Vitoxin is the structure of the terminal groups of molecules in the antidote - the clusters of atoms protruding from the molecule bind to receptors on the protein coating of the Vitoxin virus, effectively blocking it from interacting with the membranes of cells in the host. This stops the virus injecting DNA into the cell that will cause the cell to produce the toxins that typically cause the death of the host.

Whatever purpose the original virus had is also halted by Vitoc. It would seem, if the chain of evidence is correct, that the Jovians have been willing to die before accepting whatever fate the virus may inflict.

Could source more data for the Jovian side of things but I'm going to assume that is better known and just get the basics across, this post is long enough already. Notably all this information is available IC which makes it far more interesting to me personally than the Enheduanni themselves, though CCP have said they want to bring more of what is known OOC into the world so there's more to look forwards to.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #128 on: 01 Aug 2011, 12:50 »

the drones in "the empyrean age" that had the Insorum were connected to Otro Gariushi.

I don't think they were "Rogue Drones".
\o/

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #129 on: 01 Aug 2011, 14:45 »

the drones in "the empyrean age" that had the Insorum were connected to Otro Gariushi.

Quote from the book Chapter 46, p.322 (paperback)

"These creatures were quite capable of learning and evolving just like their rogue counterparts, only these had a clear agenda that pressed beyond just giving him the Insorum."

I think it's quite clearly stated that way that these were not rogue drones, merely relatives. The name rogue drone should give credence to that idea, as they would no longer be rogue if they serve someone still/again.

Einar Nils

• Clonejack
« Reply #130 on: 02 Aug 2011, 00:55 »

I doubt the ones collecting Isogen V were "Rogue" either, The chronicle We Humans may even suggest slavery in that case. But there's a connection.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #131 on: 05 Aug 2011, 07:04 »

iirc the jovian disease is described as 'a neurological condition that invariably ends in death'

Vitoc on the other hand is a mutagenic virus that causes cascade failures in the body and an excruciatingly painful death....

hmmmm... no similarity unless the unfortunate vitoc victim gets mutations of the brain.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]