Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: IC Rogue Drones?  (Read 18287 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
IC Rogue Drones?
« on: 21 Feb 2011, 21:39 »

Have any of you been following this group? Opinions? I haven't been able to really read into it much and see if it's worth my time IC. 

Off the bat I think I'd have to bolster my suspension of disbelief at a bunch of drones getting through capsuleer school and into clones, or however they'd explained that one, but that's a limitation of the game mechanics with everyone being fresh university grads and all.... But on the other hand rogue drones might be an interesting avenue for some RP?

Thoughts?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: IC Rogue Drones?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2011, 22:18 »

Noticed? Yes. Followed? Tried actively not to.

Now, seeing as we're encouraged not to question the RP of others, I'll try to structure this in as unbiased and professional a way as possible; suspension of disbelief is one thing, but I have my limitations, personally. Now, without knowing individual character backstories, I have to wonder if there are any that "started out" as rogue drones. If so, how did you become a pod pilot?

The other theory I could conjecture would be a pod pilot "taken over" by a rogue drone. Which begs the question, what makes Sleepers so special then? Why aren't we ALL data that's been transmitted into a ship, and why don't we all just have access to T3 right off the bat if that's the case? For that matter, why hasn't CONCORD noticed these rogue drones admitting to their connection to a higher rogue drone hivemind of sorts all over the IGS, and barred them from stations and high security systems?

Now, what would be interesting is a capsuleer who sympathizes with rogue drones; all that would take is an EXTREMELY convoluted path of logic to explain why anyone would want to interface with murderous AI. Stranger things have been explained. However, even in that case, there would have to be reasoning behind it.

These are all questions that I would need to have answered before I could render a verdict on whether or not I find it a believable premise. That being said, there's no real obligation to explain your RP to me, if you don't want to. It's a level playing field and we can all do what we like, this is just my two cents on the matter.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2011, 01:18 »

I'll bite.

It's different, and I welcome any opportunity to try something different and add some humanity to it. Oddly enough, I find the commune and rogue drones more human than some of enslaved capsuleer elements of the Sansha's loyalists. They add a human element to it to contrast their dry, calculated nature. Just my opinion, but I think I'd enjoy seeing a True Slave capsuleer just break down and cry sometime. hehe

Anyway, it's a nice way for me to socialize with Nola, since she doesn't really like being around people all that much. ^_^

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2011, 08:43 »

One of the IC rouge drones have a BIO posted in the relevant section of this forum, which is worth taking a look at before dismissing the RP as "you are doing it wrong".

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2011, 11:09 »

The other theory I could conjecture would be a pod pilot "taken over" by a rogue drone. Which begs the question, what makes Sleepers so special then? Why aren't we ALL data that's been transmitted into a ship, and why don't we all just have access to T3 right off the bat if that's the case? For that matter, why hasn't CONCORD noticed these rogue drones admitting to their connection to a higher rogue drone hivemind of sorts all over the IGS, and barred them from stations and high security systems?
Well, we know that Rogue Drones can infest capsuleers, kinda - but why would they do such a thing?

Simple, they're cannibals. They didn't even think of the capsuleer as a living thing when they encountered their first one. To them it's more like "All right, my fellow drones, we just blew up this big mean hunk of metal covered in guns that was trying to blow up our hive! Let's repurpose it to our needs, and oh hey, there's this funny meat-processor inside that makes data transfer and C&C a breeze! Let's use that too!"

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2011, 11:58 »

I've quite enjoyed this uprising of Rogue Drone players.

From what I know they range from pure strain Rogue Drones to Rogue Drones who puppeteer Capsuleer flesh. I believe the Pure Strain's hack the CONCORD database to input the School information, or some such. I'll point their boss to this thread.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2011, 12:35 »

Double post, their boss sent me stuff.

Quote from: 41 49 3432

Reply for me as I can't register there

1st: The "hive" is more of a virus at this stage. We have 4 "drone" types in the "hive" (corp) known as Entity.

True Strain - Which are rogue drone AI that have since moved into the "new processors" for ease of movement within High-sec.

Freed Machines - Systems/Drones/lesser AI/ships/whatever that have gained sentient existance by coming in contact with us at some point or influenced into joining our hive and forsaking their origional programming. (Unexploded Ordinance for example)

Created - Created by us specifically for a purpose. (Children so to speak, afterall, CCP does state drones do "breed" in a sense.)

Infected - These are people who, willing or not, came in contact with the hive. Their implants, capsule, and clone data have been infected by the virus like AI.

The "existance" of these 4 types have occured to explain various people joining. As it is physically impossible to have a corporation planned for RP-Optional PVP with hundreds of people - all roleplaying and typing the EXACT same thing in a hive-mind style at the same time. When I first started this corp, I had no idea that Infected would come to exist... but had to explain it when people's main characters began joining! When they leave, we explain it in various ways as to their regaining of freedom.

2nd: As for our "school" and CONCORD data-base. It is explained in three ways.

1: We do harvest bodies of living and dead humans and convert them to interface with pod technology. As pods were designed for humans, and they are also the direct link to the neocom / market / etc. They afford us mobility within the human markets/high sec without being targeted by Concord (at this time.) It is a useful resource.

2: We can easily hack and display false registrations. I mean, Rogue Drones are supposed to be pretty smart, and rapidly adapting to needs, no?

3: The most important... you can't create a character without a "capsuleer employment history" - game mechanics are in the way. Same reason you can't join Sansha, Ghost. Just because you can not avoid being pew-pew'd by Sansha NPCs - we can not avoid having "starting race/school/etc....... this is the primary reason. 1 & 2 are just "in character" explanations.

Last but not least: We want to have fun. We asked CCP for guidance or opinion on what we have been doing. They saw no problem with it and said have fun - use existing content for direction but not restriction.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2011, 13:43 »

Hadn't seen this until now, but I tend to encourage the idea of pushing the limits in ways that work with the setting (rather than, you know, transplanting other settings).

Is it a little hand-wavy? Yeah, possibly. But that doesn't make it bad, in my view.

The fact that I'm a little partial to the whole rogue drone storyline may or may not factor into this. >.>

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2011, 15:44 »

I think it might be difficult RP to do really well. I like seeing people trying new things, though. There haven't really been a lot of embellishments of rogue drones since the whole CONCORD report thing, so there's a lot of room for people to color in their own ideas.

As an aside, Ghost, if you would let him know he might email me if he can't register due to a technical issue on this end, if he did want to get registered.

Crucifire

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2011, 18:28 »

Oh, hey, a thread about that corp I was in for a while. Sweet!

Now, what would be interesting is a capsuleer who sympathizes with rogue drones; all that would take is an EXTREMELY convoluted path of logic to explain why anyone would want to interface with murderous AI. Stranger things have been explained. However, even in that case, there would have to be reasoning behind it.

I can answer that in regards to my own character and, at least in her case, it's not that convoluted to explain why she joined. Cruci was one of the Infected-types that 41 49 3432 outlined, and it was a matter of a drug-fueled frenzy to experience a mass collective consciousness first hand. Stumbling upon a hive of rogue drones willing to bring her into the fold would be an opportunity to good to pass up, especially for one as terribly misanthropic as she. Crucifire had no factional loyalties and a great deal of dislike for humans in general, killing people was not something particularly new to her yet, like every sentient being, she still needed some place to fit in. The result being she is now a completely different personality from the one I outlined in her bio here at Backstage - her very human psychological issues have been replaced with cold, emotionless logic. Still, this sort of corp does best with eternally loyal alts created exclusively for the hive that will never leave, but since it was so relevent to my main's interests I went ahead and had her plugged in for story purposes (and also drone fun, who could object?)

Now, the convoluted part will come with me explaining why she left. There are still a number of things I have yet to explain away regarding her, especially concerning how she managed to leave the hive Entity. The all-too-simple IC answer for now is that she went rogue from these particular rogue drones after her programming became increasingly erratic and began to deviate, and she departed on a journey to rediscover her human side. This led her to the region of Outer Ring, where she was recruited by a capsuleer who recognized her from her earlier efforts in Fountain when she was fresh out of Republic University (he does not RP, but this is how I have interpreted the series of events.)

In fact, any input or help regarding that last part would certainly be appreciated.

As for why these drones appear to be capsuleers... yeah, it's definitely a little hand-wavy, but due only to limitations of the game itself. It's not like they exactly want their description to read that they're human, nor do they have any control over that, so I find IC attacks at this aspect to be a low blow.

41 should get his robot ass on these forums already, maybe he can work some stuff out with that other group of drone people.

EDIT: Hm, after reading out the reasons why Cruci joined the Rogue Drones maybe it is quite a bit convoluted. It still works.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2011, 20:00 by Crucifire »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2011, 18:56 »

Does their smack talk consist of "BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS"?

Because that would roxx0rz.

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2011, 17:47 »

Double post, their boss sent me stuff.

Quote from: 41 49 3432

Reply for me as I can't register there

1st: The "hive" is more of a virus at this stage. We have 4 "drone" types in the "hive" (corp) known as Entity.

True Strain - Which are rogue drone AI that have since moved into the "new processors" for ease of movement within High-sec.

Freed Machines - Systems/Drones/lesser AI/ships/whatever that have gained sentient existance by coming in contact with us at some point or influenced into joining our hive and forsaking their origional programming. (Unexploded Ordinance for example)

Created - Created by us specifically for a purpose. (Children so to speak, afterall, CCP does state drones do "breed" in a sense.)

Infected - These are people who, willing or not, came in contact with the hive. Their implants, capsule, and clone data have been infected by the virus like AI.

The "existance" of these 4 types have occured to explain various people joining. As it is physically impossible to have a corporation planned for RP-Optional PVP with hundreds of people - all roleplaying and typing the EXACT same thing in a hive-mind style at the same time. When I first started this corp, I had no idea that Infected would come to exist... but had to explain it when people's main characters began joining! When they leave, we explain it in various ways as to their regaining of freedom.

2nd: As for our "school" and CONCORD data-base. It is explained in three ways.

1: We do harvest bodies of living and dead humans and convert them to interface with pod technology. As pods were designed for humans, and they are also the direct link to the neocom / market / etc. They afford us mobility within the human markets/high sec without being targeted by Concord (at this time.) It is a useful resource.

2: We can easily hack and display false registrations. I mean, Rogue Drones are supposed to be pretty smart, and rapidly adapting to needs, no?

3: The most important... you can't create a character without a "capsuleer employment history" - game mechanics are in the way. Same reason you can't join Sansha, Ghost. Just because you can not avoid being pew-pew'd by Sansha NPCs - we can not avoid having "starting race/school/etc....... this is the primary reason. 1 & 2 are just "in character" explanations.

Last but not least: We want to have fun. We asked CCP for guidance or opinion on what we have been doing. They saw no problem with it and said have fun - use existing content for direction but not restriction.
This sounds fun. I think I'll try to join up.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2011, 18:04 »

Very tempting at some point.

This isn't all that different from Nikiruu, at least to the degree anybody could make sense of her ramblings. ;)

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2011, 10:17 »

Excellent... I am now not only the galaxy's most successful criminal, I am also infested by rogue drones :D

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2011, 14:23 »

Excellent... I am now not only the galaxy's most successful criminal, I am also infested by rogue drones :D

We are all so fucked now... non-empathetic rogue AI with nearly unlimited financial backing for whatever scheming they have?

*Hides*
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9