Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Re-Awakened Technologies Inc is a Minmatar Republic loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: What is the issue with ingame Prostitution?  (Read 19027 times)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: What is the issue with ingame Prostitution?
« Reply #30 on: 23 Sep 2010, 00:38 »

Once you get into cybersex, the line between IC prostitution and OOC prostitution becomes very thin indeed.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #31 on: 23 Sep 2010, 01:46 »

Once you get into cybersex, the line between IC prostitution and OOC prostitution becomes very thin indeed.

I perhaps agree with this. In my previous posts I reffered to an "exchange of money" which can be debatable, especially if you start applying the eula and concept of PLEX. Whats not debatable, in my opinion, is that there is an exchange of "value". iSK, even if only pixels, has value whether monetary or otherwise.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #32 on: 23 Sep 2010, 01:51 »

So basically, there is no way to do it at all, since there is the potential for abuse, and therefore the entire situation is banned outright? how very like wow. -_-

sorry of coming off as harsh on this, I don't mean to, but I'm rather peeved that there is absolutely no way to work this, as being a space pimp is awesome, and its something I really enjoy doing.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2010, 01:53 by Nikita Alterana »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #33 on: 23 Sep 2010, 02:12 »

There is a very fine line between roleplaying as a space pimp, and cybering with a person. Roleplay or not, actually 'doing' the act is cybering.

You can roleplay a space pimp who 'sells' out prostitutes and that is fine. Fade-To-Black is the most useful and necessary concept here to keep it within the acceptable, T-Rating of the game. If you want to do anything beyond that, you need to keep it behind closed doors basically. It gets really dodgy, and really creepy to a lot of people.

Does that help?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #34 on: 23 Sep 2010, 02:13 »

So basically, there is no way to do it at all, since there is the potential for abuse, and therefore the entire situation is banned outright? how very like wow. -_-

sorry of coming off as harsh on this, I don't mean to, but I'm rather peeved that there is absolutely no way to work this, as being a space pimp is awesome, and its something I really enjoy doing.

Nikita, I have never gone into your tavern, so I dont know how it is done at the moment. Perhaps you could enlighten us? It may go a long way to move the disccussion forward and perhaps identify better ways of doing it that wont generate instant flames.

Is it IC sex chat it the public channel? If it is private sex chat, why does everyone know about it? Is it sex chat at all or just a "/me dissapears with a hooker"?

Prostitutes belong in the dark Eve universe full with slavery. Perhaps not all OCC methods of doing does though?

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #35 on: 23 Sep 2010, 14:00 »

The status and mystique associated with capsuleers would probably have great sexual appeal to some people. Like posh pron in England.

IRL, some rich people pay ludicrous amounts of cash for extreme high end prostitutes. Not all hookers are toothless crackhoes. Some make more money than most of us.

A capsuleer being a hooker seems perfectly ok IC-wise to me. She might even be out of my price range.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #36 on: 23 Sep 2010, 15:31 »

If you ERP in public, in front of my character, you may unwittingly unlock EVIL GRAELYN MODE.

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to EVIL GRAELYN.

EVIL GRAELYN may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

If EVIL GRAELYN begins to smoke (or toke, God help you...), get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Do Not Taunt EVIL GRAELYN.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 23 Sep 2010, 16:13 »

Nikita, I have never gone into your tavern, so I dont know how it is done at the moment. Perhaps you could enlighten us? It may go a long way to move the disccussion forward and perhaps identify better ways of doing it that wont generate instant flames.

Is it IC sex chat it the public channel? If it is private sex chat, why does everyone know about it? Is it sex chat at all or just a "/me dissapears with a hooker"?

Prostitutes belong in the dark Eve universe full with slavery. Perhaps not all OCC methods of doing does though?

basically, my girls go around, flirt with people, and if someone seems interested, they discretely tell them their prices and such, and if they accept, they go into a room, the bar does have a legitimate Inn attached. Some people (most) want to RP it out, which is really the point for some people, while others just handwave it. There is no ERP in public, and I will *ahem* anything that seems to be turning into it in public. I might be more...liberal...in what happens in public, but there are limits to how far I'll let it go. People no about it almost entirely through the grapevine, I don't really advertise.

This seems perfectly fine to me.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #38 on: 23 Sep 2010, 16:26 »

Nikita, to set my mind at ease, could you respond to the posts earlier? Seri and Silver mentioned some things even supporters of "RP freedom" (like me) may find particularly distasteful, particularly in a public channel.

If it works more or less like what you describe, that sounds okay: a channel that contains activity more or less on the scale of what you'd see in (say) the public parts of a strip club, with any other, more explicit activities taking place in private chat. Hell, even strip clubs typically have the lap dances in semi-private booths.

But if it has lots of activity in public, especially extreme hard-core things like violence and even snuff, then my opinions would change significantly.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 23 Sep 2010, 16:39 »

Nikita, to set my mind at ease, could you respond to the posts earlier? Seri and Silver mentioned some things even supporters of "RP freedom" (like me) may find particularly distasteful, particularly in a public channel.

If it works more or less like what you describe, that sounds okay: a channel that contains activity more or less on the scale of what you'd see in (say) the public parts of a strip club, with any other, more explicit activities taking place in private chat. Hell, even strip clubs typically have the lap dances in semi-private booths.

But if it has lots of activity in public, especially extreme hard-core things like violence and even snuff, then my opinions would change significantly.

Sure, yes, in terms of scale, its basically like the public parts of a strip club, that in mind, I do own at least two of the people who frequent the bar, so there is a bit of D/s stuff going on, but nothing really bad in public.

As for violence, keep in mind, I run the Stars End like a frontier Saloon, there is the occasional tussle there, but no, there's no violent sex, or normal sex, in public.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #40 on: 23 Sep 2010, 17:14 »

I'm going to echo what others say. When you RP sex, characterization, storytelling and roleplaying gets thrown out the window. You might as well just ditch the avatars in this case. Cynically, I see it like this, as someone who engages in ERP often.

Outsiders are genuinely going to wonder why there is any need for this sort of RP, especially the domme/sub stuff. As people who wander into channels hoping to engage in the background of EVE, write a story via RP, and characterize their avatars, they are just going to see these activities are 'cyb0rs'

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 23 Sep 2010, 17:27 »

Speaking for myself only, ERP does not always throw out characterization, storytelling, and roleplaying. While I've not engaged in this activity in EVE, I don't see why the "passport photo avatar" would change that for me.

Similarly, one could say that PVP throws out characterization and storytelling, but many of the PVP/RPers in EVE (which is almost, but not quite, redundant) would probably disagree.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #42 on: 23 Sep 2010, 17:43 »

Well, yes, on the few occassions there has been what I'd actually call ERP (and not cyb0rs) has actually been, well, good RP with characterization, particularly when it's not the center of the interaction all the time. "Competing egos" is an example of one.

Anyway, in a nutshell, people are going to wonder "This is a rich, detailed universe with plenty of fiction and storyline...of all the places from the backstory to make an RP channel from, and RP in, why are people RPing D/s?"

stuff like that.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 23 Sep 2010, 18:14 »

Anyway, in a nutshell, people are going to wonder "This is a rich, detailed universe with plenty of fiction and storyline...of all the places from the backstory to make an RP channel from, and RP in, why are people RPing D/s?"

Why not? There's nothing wrong with it imo, its fun, it provides interesting characterization, and it fits in the game universe.

Anyway, in a nutshell, people are going to wonder "This is a rich, detailed universe with plenty of fiction and storyline...of all the places from the backstory to make an RP channel from, and RP in, why are people RPing with Seriphyn?"

The arguement of "I don't like something therefore why would anyone want to do it?" is a really conceited, egotistical stance to take. Plenty of people like doing things you hate, its a big game world. Learn to deal with it.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2010, 18:17 by Nikita Alterana »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 23 Sep 2010, 18:51 »

[mod]Everyone please re-read the FAQ. It's linked at the top of every page on this site. I don't want this thread to descend into anarchy and end up with a lock, because that almost always represents a failure for all of us as a community.[/mod]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6