Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What is the issue with ingame Prostitution?  (Read 19029 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
What is the issue with ingame Prostitution?
« on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:20 »

So, this spun out of a discussion with some friends, which spun out of me getting flak for having hookers in my bar.

Basically...what is the big deal? Why is there so much negative energy surrounding this? Is it just our stupid puritanically obsessed western culture?

I see it this way, we live in a horrid dark spaceship universe, with slavery and torture, and mind controlling space zombies. So why does everyone cry foul OOC when one of my corpmates decides to try to make some isk this way?

I'm really just confused here, what is the issue with this? If you don't want to support it, Don't pay her, but the amount of flak coming at me and the corp for this was just sort of redic.

So I gotta ask, why? why is this such a problem?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: What is the issue with ingame Prostitution?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:21 »

Um. Which bar was this again? >.>  :D

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:23 »

Um. Which bar was this again? >.>  :D

Stars End Tavern
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:34 »

Interesting. I may, um, have to continue transitioning to a new character. And visit. ;)

To clarify my stance: this relates in general to my stance on ERP. If the players involved are of age, then keep it in private (e.g. I assume the "party" is not held in the public channel) and it's all good. Of all the things we do in games, including RP, "sex for money" ranks pretty low on my list of evil things. I mean, I feel confident in my assumption that none of us actually endorse RL genocide, slavery, etc.

Some of us have played some downright evil characters and done some pretty dark things, whether in EVE or in other games. I feel ambiguous at best about some of the things I RPed out as Joron Darkdust in SWG, but taking a Twi'lek dancer up to a ship for some private "entertainment" doesn't compare with the torture and betrayal that the character committed (and suffered). But IRL, I'm an entirely harmless person who, over time, has moved toward an even more rigorous view on nonviolence.

Note that this stance on IC sexual activity is entirely divorced from the RL considerations of prostitution, which are far more complex due to power structures, abuse, and many other factors.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:51 »

So, this spun out of a discussion with some friends, which spun out of me getting flak for having hookers in my bar.

Basically...what is the big deal? Why is there so much negative energy surrounding this? Is it just our stupid puritanically obsessed western culture?

I dunno, my own western culture really doesn't have that much negative energy associated with hookers.

Perhaps people objected to the manner it was brought?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:01 »

Perhaps people objected to the manner it was brought?

Perhaps they thought it was for pure OOC reasons. (In which case, I'd ask what business it is of theirs even so, but that's another topic entirely. :) )

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:19 »

I'm not a westerner, nor am I puritan... and I think prostitutes are disgusting.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:19 »

I see it this way, we live in a horrid dark spaceship universe, with slavery and torture, and mind controlling space zombies. So why does everyone cry foul OOC when one of my corpmates decides to try to make some isk this way?

I'm really just confused here, what is the issue with this? If you don't want to support it, Don't pay her, but the amount of flak coming at me and the corp for this was just sort of redic.

So I gotta ask, why? why is this such a problem?

Bolded.

If the corpmate is a Capsuleer, that tends to be quite a wall banger for some people.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:33 »

Seconded Hunter's reply, but I feel that way about piracy to, among others. Your filthy rich a massively powerful, and you need to sell yourself/kill and ransom? Yes, totally belivable :bash:

I'm not very impressed with prostitutes personally though I can see the 'need' argument in special types of cases. A Capsuleer has no such need, however. Not at all.

For a complete overview I should mention that I find the ones paying a prostitute for her 'services' are evne more weakly and disgusting than the one doing the trade, I won't however derail this further.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2010, 14:23 »

Why do you not see the 'need'?  They don't call it the oldest profession for nothing.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2010, 14:39 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Prostitute

Apparently Prostitution is a CCP sanctioned activity.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2010, 14:51 »

Capsuleers would not have a need to pay 50 million ISK to bang another capsuleer, when they can pay one ISK to bang about ten non-pilot women at the same time.

That, is what I imagine the attitude to be.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2010, 14:55 »

Maybe, the 'john' in this case may not want some gaggle of mortal babes, and won't settle for anything less than another capsuleer.

The point being, if there is a demand, someone is going to supply it.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2010, 15:06 »

[mod]Please remember the FAQ. We should all treat other players and their chosen RP and playstyles with respect, even when we disagree with them. This is pre-emptive and not directed at any individual or comment above, but we don't want this thread to go pear-shaped, please.[/mod]

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2010, 15:22 »

capsuleer prostitutes also have the connectors for the pod interface and such.
the possibility may exist of taking a cable and connecting capsuleer A to capsuleer B. While they're going at it with their organs, their brains are also connected.
For whatever weirdness that would do.

That is not something ordinary ones would have.
\o/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6