Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Imperial Human Resources is a well-known Amarrian slave company.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: IRL Language Use in EVE  (Read 6905 times)

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
Re: IRL Language Use in EVE
« Reply #15 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:23 »

I do not think EVE is conducive to details.
Fixed that for you!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:34 »

Mmmmh... while I am aware that translators take care of everything, I like a smatter of non-English here and there.

As capsuleers, we do live in an international environment and maybe we should not be surprised to find accents or words that do not translate. I find myself occasionally using Gallentean (French) words work to convey accent, origin or emotion. (As someone said, "your mother tongue is the language your curse in, when you accidentally hit your thumb with a hammer.") Likewise, I find it charming when someone calls me Delorois-haani or stuff I cannot translate - it spices things up and reminds me I am not with my own.

Some other times I will try and use a very limited vocabulary in someone else's language to represent that I am not from here, but I am trying hard to fit (i.e. babbling with Dutch corpmates, who happened to be overwhelmingly Caldari). And, as in the real world, people do realise you are not going through a translator and more often than not appreciate the gesture, which in turn feeds into RP.

That being said, if I ever speak non-English, it will probably be something the person across understands and not an arcane tongue. Quite the opposite, sometimes I will intentionally use loaded words (i.e. muggle for baseliner) because they are simply a better fit, even though that may technically be an RP sin.  :P

Q

That's quite true...

Whenever possible, Ché will use french(-like) words and phrases that are also used by english speaking people, like: Faux pas, cul de sac, Pardon, à la carte, à propos, raison d'entre, reconnaissance, en masse, etc.

Raison d'être.  :D

Raison d'entre is funny though.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:44 »

I do not think EVE is conducive to details.
Fixed that for you!

:psyccp:

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #18 on: 08 Sep 2014, 15:15 »

Raison d'être.  :D

Raison d'entre is funny though.
:eek: You don't say...
Then....for the most part of my life I've entirely misunderstood its meaning. I always thought it was "reason for entering/taking part" instead of "reason for existence".

Funny how nobody ever seemed to notice... :s
-OOChé

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 08 Sep 2014, 15:29 »

Well it would be "raison d'entrer" then (entrer -> enter, the verb). "Raison d'entre" could mean "reason between" [something]. The sentence is not quite complete.

Speaking about misundertandings, I badly wrote for years the english word "connoisseur" as "connaisseur", the latter being is the current evolved form of the old word that remained in english. I had kinda the same reaction as yours when I got corrected.  :)
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2014, 15:34 by Lyn Farel »

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 08 Sep 2014, 16:51 »

It took until my Jr. year in college for a professor to point out to me that a  phrase I was using is "for all intents and purposes" - not "for all intensive purposes".  And that's just a pronunciation thing, as they sound the same said quickly.

Languages are weird. :P

And what about every teacher before that? Oh god o.o

« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2014, 16:53 by Arista Shahni »

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 08 Sep 2014, 18:28 »

It's a trivial annoyance, but using IRL languages in RP kind of breaks immersion for me. We are roleplaying humans who are a minimum of twenty plus millennia into the future. None of us have ever seen France, Japan or Scandinavia and yet here we are paraphrasing directly from those languages, all of which by this point in time would be deader than Latin is today. Consider the changes some of the dominant languages have gone through in a mere fraction of that time - over the last 500-750 years for instance.

Yeah, we use modern English too, and that's because we're not really in capsuleers in a remote galaxy where Earth is at best a myth so it's hypocrisy on my part and irony rolled up in one I suppose. Still an annoyance though.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #22 on: 08 Sep 2014, 20:28 »

It's a trivial annoyance, but using IRL languages in RP kind of breaks immersion for me. We are roleplaying humans who are a minimum of twenty plus millennia into the future. None of us have ever seen France, Japan or Scandinavia and yet here we are paraphrasing directly from those languages, all of which by this point in time would be deader than Latin is today. Consider the changes some of the dominant languages have gone through in a mere fraction of that time - over the last 500-750 years for instance.

Yeah, we use modern English too, and that's because we're not really in capsuleers in a remote galaxy where Earth is at best a myth so it's hypocrisy on my part and irony rolled up in one I suppose. Still an annoyance though.

I'm ashamed to say this, but English is my only language. I am from Canada so I should at least learn French, but in any case.

Yes you are spot on when you point out that any of the languages spoken by EVE characters would have scarcely any connection with the languages of long forgotten Terra. The differences between Quebecois and Parisian are quite distinct, with only 400 years separating them.

Americans and Canadians have the same accents that the British had 400 years ago, and of course the dialects between the two are different enough to scarcely be recognizable in some cases. 'Boot and bonnet' instead of 'Hood and trunk', 'Lorry' instead of truck. 'Lift' instead of elevator, and so on. This difference in accents occurs in every CITY in England, and in at least six distinct linguistic regions in English speaking North America. There are also class distinctions too, with Middle class people sounding different than working class people, for example.

Middle English is unrecognizable, and looks more like German (since English is a Germanic language). Old English is also completely unrecognizable. Then of course, there's all of the borrowing (stealing) of words from other languages such as Gaelic, Norse, French, Italian and so on.

Cockneys have their own 'Theive's cant', which is a way for them to speak about illegal activities openly without people knowing what they are talking about. Teenagers do the same thing with slang.

In my former corporation, everyone spoke English even though it was a European (Dutch) corporation. Dutch, Germans, Swedes, Russians, and Japanese all spoke English and wrote English almost faultlessly. It just seems that English is the language of commerce.

I would sometimes see Russian Cyrillic words and imagine that it was written in 'Minmatar'. This changed of course when a fellow Amarrian corpie who spoke with a Russian accent came on the voice comms. Then I pretended to myself that he was from a more remote part of the Amarrian empire.

As far as language evolution goes, I remember seeing a movie about astronauts working at the space station. The fact that they live in a completely artificial and electro-mechanical environment means that they have developed an Engineering jargon comprised mostly of acronyms as names for parts or procedures. The messages are brief and to the point, and use radio protocols. These radio protocols, for military, marine, and CB radio, have only been around for a few decades. Yet they are already a part of our language.

e.g. Astronauts: 'Number 1 do you copy? Need the EFT on the PB stat.'
Military: "This is Bravo Alpha Delta, do you copy over?" RGR. "Request position over"
CB: "Breaker one nine, breaker one nine! This is steel wheel. I see disco lights on the Eye nineteen, so back down on the back hammer on the back slide. Over." "10-4 I read you. Over and out."

It's kind of ironic, because EVE players have also developed a very similar 'Fleetspeak' capsuleer jargon of their own which is a lot like the one that Astronauts developed (DPS, POCO, POS, and so on).

It's interesting that the word 'okay' was invented by NASA, but has fallen into common use today.

Consider also, that texting over the phone and tweets have significantly changed our written language in as little as perhaps five years. When I was in high school, the only person who would write something like 'Ha-P 2 C U!' would be Prince of Purple rain fame. Today, it has become a new kind of texting language.

So, in the spirit of languages such as the Caldari sounding 'Cityspeak' in Blade Runner ("A mish-mash of Spanish, Japanese, German, what have you"), I would imagine that capsuleers would eventually speak to each other in a technical jargon which would look and sound like three to four lettered words with numbers, almost like an API code.

Why? Well there's a lot more of a need for advanced math and quick scientifically accurate information in a high tech space environment than there would be for jabbering and flowery poetry and prose.

(example "EGYH-223 GOB-12? Ovr." *beep* Rgr! XO 9er 9er RERG VAP GRST. Ovr. *beep*")

Interestingly, Chinese is sort of like this in that it is comprised  largely of phonemes (letter pair sounds, AH, OH, BE and so on) that are combined in different intonations distinguished from each other by tone, like musical notes.

There is also a language in India that is almost purely mathematics. If you learn to communicate in this language, you will also learn to be an expert mathematician.

Presumably, as capsuleers we would be spending most of our time in our pods and possibly in fleet as well, so we would probably ALL speak this jargon language regardless of our racial heritage. As we are men and women of action, conversation with non-Capsuleers would be short and blunt. (Dave here. Need help. Stuck in Amamake. Gate camp.")

I remember reading 'The Lovers' by Philip Jose Farmer (a very 'Amarr like' society BTW) about a man who called himself a 'JOAT', or 'Jack of all trades'. In the highly technological information based world of the future, what this meant was that he was a Linguist who specialized in being able to translate forms of jargon. The rocket scientist could now speak to the warp scrambler technician and understand one another. 

So I can somewhat imagine a linguist on EVE doing something like this. The languages of EVE are so diverse and numerous, that even translating the jargon of technicians would be a profession in itself. Of course there would be universal translators, but there are so many instances where people don't want to be understood, nuances in meaning, double entendres and so forth that I can see the need for a creative polyglot to help program or correct them.

I think it's interesting what the linguist Noam Chompsky said about language. "There are as many languages on the planet as there are people." I'm not sure if this includes stuff like whale song and bird calls, but chickens have over 30 different types of clucks to communicate things with their brood of chicks.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 08 Sep 2014, 21:27 »

The important part of this issue is simple:

There s a glossary for the words thatcaldariwill use in Napaani

IfI pick some random language and say it's "ancient bits of Khanid' people will scream bullshit - lore states FLAT that the Khanid no longer have any language.  Unles I wanna say we do, so to stop me, ppl will scream bullshit.

So im stuck with Amarrian.

Ok.

If I ever use a word that I want to adhere speciically to something, I will do something like this:

"I do not think that this should be made known, it would be unwise."  ((Arista uses an Imperial Amarrian word for unwise, which translates more specifically as roughly as "to be unspoken unto / be be bad form to speak it to a priest"))

This allowss for me to "use another language" while also accounting for the universal translators on the summir translating it with OOC exposition. 

Me ICly tapping on my Neopad and muttering "Translator's broken" every time  someone picks a laguage of a flavor they like makes the OTHER PLAYER seem more singled out and eeeek, if eeek can be used as a descriptive term of "ugh god someone is going to make me explain and damnit this shit is makign me look special snowflake and that was NEVER THE POINT,but shit,im fucked now."

It is an identically parallell issue to how I want to punch everyone who says "what's a cat?" 

LETS ALL PRETEND WE ALL HAVE CATLIKE SHIT ON OUR PLANETS OR PLANETS WE'VE HEARD OF, PLEASE.

And lets lets universal translators WORK.  You can make some words and *make a glossary available* forflavor, pick some RL words - *make a glossary available* .. just dont make people have to get a PhD in linguistsic OUT OF CHARACTER to make up for the fact someone doesnt want to achknowledge that universal transaltor is universal.

« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2014, 21:32 by Arista Shahni »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 09 Sep 2014, 01:45 »

I borrow words from Old Church Slavic, Icelandic, or the various Baltic languages, though I've pretty much abandoned any actual "Sebbie" words in use save for "hviða" which is just "Hi!". I tend to lean on Sami and pagan Slavic mythology for my ramblings on religion. I use animals in my stories like salmon, and mink, and caribou, because hey, these are things people can all imagine.

I don't know what a snorfbortz, kee lumper, or riffle swiftfish look like; neither does anyone else. I try to keep my stories beneath 2 pages, and would very much rather not explain what an animal is, or looks like, etc; a skadi is a snow leopard (and this, essentially becoming PF, is the work of multiple people, not just me!) About all I'm willing to do.

I have a hard enough time writing stories about shamanic religions and tribal societies for an audience of people unfamiliar with those things. I don't want to make it harder by having to explain all of their language or what animals they use to pull their caravans and so on.

Hviða works. Other than that? I guess just imagine Latvorussoicelandic if you want... yep! That's what it sounds like  to me!

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #25 on: 09 Sep 2014, 06:06 »

This thread is making Noam Chomsky smile. Look how happy he is!

Linguistics' badass grandpappy is pleased

EDIT Also, I added a poll for great victory. ClicketyVote now!
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2014, 06:22 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #26 on: 09 Sep 2014, 08:31 »

I've thought a bit about the conflict between universal translators and people using non-english words, thus making the universal translator not universal at all and/or making it appear as if the speaker could partially deactivate the translator of the listener, which does not make sense.
At first I thought "Yeah, it does not make a lot of sense to talk Napaani because of the translators, and I dislike that aspect, but I like the flavour it brings."
Then I realized I would rather have the omnipresent, ever active, universal translators nerfed in the canon than people not using flavoured language. I prefer to have translators as flawed as translate.google and not working instantaneously and active all the time.
-OOChé

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 09 Sep 2014, 14:48 »

I think my point is, if I can make thepoint again, if there is going to be flavor, at least list it somewhere on a menu.

That's sort of what backstage is for, if not EVE's wiki, cause who cares about the wiki. ;)  ........../o/

Random hello's and word-attachments that peopel can guess are honorifics or insults is one thing.

Nei wa obanei en wa'adrojan, i obanei ney voy challa'elem, and what the fuck good is that going to do?  Now I need to teach someone else the entire mechanics of a 120 root word / 250 full word language I made up with some friends?

:/

((I [say/speak aloud] implied "to you" with/using "say-noble"[the proper noble language, the word of the true People], and you have no "head-light/illumination"(no understanding) ...))

« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2014, 14:51 by Arista Shahni »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 09 Sep 2014, 14:51 »

Even listing it somewhere. The amount of people that are going to look it up is almost nil. That is why Napaani, in my opinion, never worked well. As soon as people moved beyond 'hi,' 'bye,' 'foreigner,' nobody is going to go look it up no matter how conveniently it is listed elsewhere.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 09 Sep 2014, 14:53 »

Hi, bye Foreginer, coworker, friend, teacher (and 2 of those might be the same word).  That's all the Napaani I know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3