Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Blood Raiders are a sect of the Sani Sabik who spend their lives in space hunting down and harvesting non-believers for their blood? Read more here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Black Mesa: Source Comes out September 14th  (Read 2689 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Black Mesa: Source Comes out September 14th
« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2012, 12:23 »

Well having seen the whole intro of the game and the beginning, I have found the story to be quite dull/cliché and stretched, but that's probably a matter of opinions. However, I couldn't say truly that it is since I have never been past the beginning, so better to take my gratuitous remark with a whole spoon of salt.

However I know that their level design (not artistically but gamedesign wise) has now become almost a school case scenario considering how it is so well thought and implemented. I agree that QA and testing wise, they seem to be great.

I am probably going to ask a stupid question, but being someone that has never played Half Life and never really got inspired by it, what makes that game so special to most people exactly ?

It's the first shooter that really focused on story and plot.

Ah, I see, so that's mostly about it being kind of a pioneer in shooters' history ?

I am probably going to ask a stupid question, but being someone that has never played Half Life and never really got inspired by it, what makes that game so special to most people exactly ?

It's tThe first sShooter that really focused on story and plot.

fixed that for you.

Nah, you can't just say that. Other shooters have had quite famous stories as well, even putting the focus on the story, like Bioshock.

Vikarion

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2012, 20:28 »

Well having seen the whole intro of the game and the beginning, I have found the story to be quite dull/cliché and stretched, but that's probably a matter of opinions.

Probably is, by now. That's partially because HL has been copied like almost nothing else in the FPS category.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2012, 21:35 »

Well having seen the whole intro of the game and the beginning, I have found the story to be quite dull/cliché and stretched, but that's probably a matter of opinions.

Probably is, by now. That's partially because HL has been copied like almost nothing else in the FPS category.

Yeah, I was thinking how to word that.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2012, 05:20 »

I see. Thanks for the answers, maybe i'll give it a try if I find the time and motivation.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2012, 18:25 »

/Dev-troll

NOTICE

Thank you for noticing this new Notice
You noticing it has been noted

And will be reported to the authorities

/Troll

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2012, 18:38 »

So. Much. Crouch. Jumping. D:
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Vikarion

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2012, 00:15 »

Aw. You don't get to go to Xen :-(

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2012, 02:54 »

Bioshock is more of a child of the System Shock series (just like the Deus Ex series.)

Hence the lack of crouch jumping and using of 'tapes' as a way of exposing the overall plot.

Half-life (and its sequels) do have a knack of telling the story while having the protagonist actively taking part in the story as nothing else than an extra. It is what you accomplish as that extra that makes you a hero, not that you get the biggest gun and kill the biggest bad guy. (In Half-Life 2 you are pretty much blindsided by the fact that you have turned into this hero that people look up to.)

In most of the stories in games everything is hanging on what you do, which makes you one of those extra special snowflakes that are pretty much caricatured in the person of Duke Nukem, a chauvinistic narcissistic bastard who is a god among Men that can break alien motherships just with the weight of his penis.

Which has nice connotations when it comes down to RP and the characters we play.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:49 »

Kotaku released a review today. You can read it here.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #24 on: 21 Sep 2012, 13:39 »

I'm waiting for this to appear on Steam. Last I heard, all the Greenlight stuff that has got the go ahead so far will go live on October 11th, so not long to wait. :)
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Alain Kinsella

• The Planet Miner
  • Clonejack
    • The Kind Healer
« Reply #25 on: 24 Sep 2012, 18:12 »

This has been an interesting game so far.  I'd compare the old and new versions like a comparison between the old and new Dune movie - both stand well on their own, but for different reasons.

Some (hopefully not spoiler) comments...

-> I'm getting tired of the Vorts having the twitch level of a gaming god.   :P
-> Houndeyes are even more obnoxious than ever.  Argh.
-> Good achievement list.  I'm not really working through that yet, a Steam release version will track it better anyway.
-> Loving the various eggs scattered about.  Just found the sign Bloodbird referenced, excellent.  There's another that I'll have to take a screenshot of at some point, so I can figure out what's being said.  And anyone know what the molecule is in the calendar?  I believe its caffeine...

Anyway, a pretty decent remake overall.  Something you really don't see anymore from the old mod community (mostly because its so much work).

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods
« Reply #26 on: 25 Sep 2012, 21:10 »

-> Loving the various eggs scattered about.

Oh yes! Obviously I didn't find them all, but I liked the detail on one particular enemy.
Pages: 1 [2]