Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the cocktail "Wild Rose" is created by Vincent Pryce and it is named after Ciarente Roth?

Author Topic: Mordu's Public Relations  (Read 1207 times)

Dessau

Mordu's Public Relations
« on: 10 Jun 2014, 09:26 »

So we've got a character from an NPC corporation making an in-character public service announcement in IGS, which got me to thinking (since I don't have much history in RP): how often does this happen? What other events featured CCP lending voice to a faction representative?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Mordu's Public Relations
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2014, 10:33 »

This happened a lot more at one time; during the Incursion lead-up events, we of course had Sansha and CONCORD actors happily posting away with a smattering of faction representatives appearing as well. Arek'Jalaan mainly involved a single character, but he was fairly active until the project was cancelled. Finally, during the time when we had a lot of smallscale events, various actors posting (both in official 'announcements threads' for events and just casually responding to player posts) was very common and widespread - I remember characters from all 5 pirate factions, as well as empire navies and various involved corporations.

Going back a bit further, when Empyrean Age was launched there were several objective-based events in the first few months (i.e., capture this system or area in X weeks) that involved IGS threads.

Finally, going way, way back to the days when we had written news stories that weren't only linked to big expansions or huge ingame events, I remember on rare occasion a character being created to respond on the IGS when a particular news story arc REALLY grabbed our attention and garnered a good response. The one that sticks in the mind was the wife of a CONCORD commander seeking information on her husband's disappearance.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2014, 19:09 »

The one that sticks in the mind was the wife of a CONCORD commander seeking information on her husband's disappearance.

Oh God. It's Mankirk's Wife all over again.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Dessau

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2014, 22:32 »

Thanks for the breakdown, Esna. This seems like a flavor of community management that is more prevalent in other games, though in the past it was more frequent and less one-sided in EVE.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:09 »

It used to be a little better than "Thanks for the help/Please help us and then fuck off and die please" tho.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:32 »

It used to be a little better than "Thanks for the help/Please help us and then fuck off and die please" tho.

I think I did a bunch of mission that has something to that effect in their text.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2014, 09:36 »

The one that sticks in the mind was the wife of a CONCORD commander seeking information on her husband's disappearance.

Oh God. It's Mankirk's Wife all over again.

Well thankfully we didn't have to go find the bugger, since actually bringing back the corpse would've been a real chore. There was just enough rabble to force CONCORD to reveal that he'd been sent off on a secret mission to the drone regions (prior to when we were allowed in to them; at this point in the lore they were sealed off to us by CONCORD order due to the danger presented by the drones). Needless to say the whole mission hadn't gone very well.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.