Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

All male members of the Ardishapur family traditionally have their right hand amputated? See why you don't make the Emperor's mother angry.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: IC use of the eve API  (Read 4401 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: IC use of the eve API
« Reply #30 on: 24 Sep 2012, 13:12 »

I also find it highly odd IC that Concord has perfect and instantaneous records for these kind of things.

How?

It's established PF that our ships are filled with CONCORD monitoring devices to ridiculous degrees. It's how their rapid-response systems work, with fluid routers handling the "instantaneous" part.

But we can't go too far down the CONCORD rabbit-hole as it gets quite silly.  No hegemonic empires are signing up to be under the thumb of an omni-present overseer who can tell them what to do. At least willingly.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 25 Sep 2012, 03:44 »

Depends. It's only for capsuleers after all.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 25 Sep 2012, 11:11 »

Well, better drop the 'capsuleers-as-gods' line then, if they merely close-monitored Concord puppets. It is either or. Either Concord is everpresent, superinvasivee and records everything is we do, carry an know, and decides for us where we can go and what we can lock and shoot, even while away in wormholes or so-called sovereign nullsec empires and we nothing but puppets on strings.

Or

We are free-roaming entities with a wealth of possibilities open to us, immortal, powerful and akin to Gods, with nobody lording over us.

Doesn't matter what you pick, but I have difficulty with people switching back and forth between both extremes. I like for things to be internally consistent. And if you rule that the API is some infallible everypresent hardwired unhackable Concord-controlled device, then you should carry that argument to its logical conclusion.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 25 Sep 2012, 12:21 »

Well, better drop the 'capsuleers-as-gods' line then, if they merely close-monitored Concord puppets. It is either or. Either Concord is everpresent, superinvasivee and records everything is we do, carry an know, and decides for us where we can go and what we can lock and shoot, even while away in wormholes or so-called sovereign nullsec empires and we nothing but puppets on strings.

Or

We are free-roaming entities with a wealth of possibilities open to us, immortal, powerful and akin to Gods, with nobody lording over us.

Doesn't matter what you pick, but I have difficulty with people switching back and forth between both extremes. I like for things to be internally consistent. And if you rule that the API is some infallible everypresent hardwired unhackable Concord-controlled device, then you should carry that argument to its logical conclusion.

^This

Having too much CONCORD in our lives requires quite a bit of hand-waving to not break immersion. 

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 25 Sep 2012, 13:17 »

I don't see the clash, but it's possible that I simply assume the boundless demi-god thing is recruitment PR spin.

We can do many things, and it's our choice which of those things we do. We do those things in ships and with comms accesses that come with certain inbuilt constraints. We are always monitored.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 25 Sep 2012, 14:27 »

I don't see the clash, but it's possible that I simply assume the boundless demi-god thing is recruitment PR spin.

That is a perfectly sensible position of course. It is just that I would prefer to imagine capsuleer-EVE not like a Brave New World governed by our dark and allmighty Concord lords who see all, know all and cannot be escaped, and for unknown reasons allows capsuleers the freedom they do.

I honestly see next to no one playing EVE like the vision above. While it would make a lot of sense to do so, I think most people realize that it is an unintentional byproduct of game mechanisms. I think the absolute confidence in the API is also an unintentional byproduct of game mechanics, not because CCP actually intended for Concord to monitor you everywhere at any time.

We can do many things, and it's our choice which of those things we do. We do those things in ships and with comms accesses that come with certain inbuilt constraints. We are always monitored.

Have you ever heard of Concord leaking any of your secrets? Secrets apparently are perfectly monitoring and recording. Is Concord a-political? What is the logical conclusion of what an organization with the power, resources and information that Concord has would do?

The API is an extension of game mechanics that have no direct RP equivalent, just as downtime is.

What is downtime to your character btw?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 25 Sep 2012, 16:32 »

Have you ever heard of Concord leaking any of your secrets? Secrets apparently are perfectly monitoring and recording. Is Concord a-political? What is the logical conclusion of what an organization with the power, resources and information that Concord has would do?

That's the sort of thing that comes up in the novels a bit.

I do wonder if my expectations about what counts as a logical conclusion are coloured by being in a RL state with a remarkably low corruption rating (although occasional face-palm-worthy incompetence).

CONCORD records and reports kills and losses, and pays bounties, extremely smoothly and reliably. The director access it gives tells me where my corpmates are at any given time, when they've last connected to and left comms, and what ships they're in when they're in space. Yes, I assume they record everything. I use what they record often in my work.

Comms downtime: it's when the fluid routers get rebooted. You have to be able to talk about it IC when planning operations. Patches and upgrades are patches and upgrades to CONCORD's fluid router software. CONCORD's programmers and sysadmins seem to have many of the problems that RL ones do.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 25 Sep 2012, 17:39 »

Or

There is no logical conclusion in both cases. It will always be possible to find inconsistencies whatever you choose.

That's the sort of thing that comes up in the novels a bit.

I do wonder if my expectations about what counts as a logical conclusion are coloured by being in a RL state with a remarkably low corruption rating (although occasional face-palm-worthy incompetence).

CONCORD records and reports kills and losses, and pays bounties, extremely smoothly and reliably. The director access it gives tells me where my corpmates are at any given time, when they've last connected to and left comms, and what ships they're in when they're in space. Yes, I assume they record everything. I use what they record often in my work.

Comms downtime: it's when the fluid routers get rebooted. You have to be able to talk about it IC when planning operations. Patches and upgrades are patches and upgrades to CONCORD's fluid router software. CONCORD's programmers and sysadmins seem to have many of the problems that RL ones do.

This.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #38 on: 28 Sep 2012, 08:25 »

teh recent event seems to indicate evemail messages are monitored, and may be intercepted.

I don't know. /o\
\o/

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #39 on: 28 Sep 2012, 15:37 »

I used to run missions against DED/CONCORD ships during my stay in Curse.

If they can tamper with anything regarding our ships, why not just concordokken you when you warp into their mission or lock you down or do anything to help their units on the field?

Concord obviously has little to no power once you leave highsec. I think their monitoring equipment acts the same way.
Pages: 1 2 [3]