Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Amarr Bloc Discussion  (Read 16483 times)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
Re: Amarr Bloc Discussion
« Reply #45 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:29 »

As the CEO of a new Amarr-Rp corp, I feel like I should be paying attention to this thread.

Should I really though!? I don't want my young mind to be tained! D:

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #46 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:30 »

By the way, is this some Ardishapur vs. Empress Sarum rhetoric?  I think so: http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3826&tid=4

Through the penance of deeds, the sins of forefathers may eventually be washed away. [Slavery] is the Amarr way and it is the future, if the Empire is to thrive

The heir closed his speech thanking those for attending and promising that he would “never forget the sacrifices made by the true faithful in times of falsehood.”

As the CEO of a new Amarr-Rp corp, I feel like I should be paying attention to this thread.

Should I really though!? I don't want my young mind to be tained! D:
I think so.  There's a lot of back-and-forth between a few old-timers about what's come before, but I think it lays a foundation for what should hopefully be a very productive topic in general :)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2010, 00:20 »

Alright.

I'm a noob, but noobs can write States of the Amarr RP, too (just no one has to read them):
Your level of bitter is admirable for a newer player. I award you honorary vet status, so I can pull no punches.
I cannot see emergence or reemergence of heterodox or minority Amarr RP happening at this point.
I sure hope you don't mean, say, liberalism, when you say 'heterodoxy.' And all Amarrian roleplay except world-level event roleplay has been minority roleplay.

The guy Graelyn referenced in the quote I supplied up above was Nebuli. Or Nebulai, I can't recall. He ran the plot department for AURORA for what I recall as nearly the entirety of its lifespan; it was at least the entirety of my time ingame. In his day, the attitude was that mainstream Amarr was the only kind of Amarr; the folks in AURORA all worked for a guy whose actions supported the empirical observation that he understood only one line of valid roleplay, and that was roleplay at the faction level. The posture of the man in charge of AURORA encouraged reciprocal postures that got no more complex than "I'm an Amarr."
— CCP's own writers have largely abandoned the theme.
— Since the end of the event system, there is really no in-game way to play such opinions.  (Back in the old days, I gather, people were more naive or at least more willing to play things that didn't square with game mechanics; these days people are pretty realistic or cynical about what they can do).
These two points are tied together.

Aside from the fact that people still roleplay at all, in any conceivable way, and aside from the fact that I know a ton of people who are in player-led arcs without dev or volunteer involvement, down to the level o the news crew in MERCURY, and aside from the fact that other than Talisman, who was tied to the world arcs by the nature of his position, the writing staff never really engaged the roleplayers terribly directly in tier-three events in terms of good ol' fanservice (cue pics of Eris in panties, I'm sure), there's simply this: You can't DO much that directly correlates with a lot of the PF.

You can visit the locations mentioned in PF, but most of the people involved were never accessible.

Frankly, fiction submissions to E-ON magazine getting adopted to be in PF is probably the most significant way a player can affect the setting unless that player becomes a dev or CCP staffer in the right departments.

In short, people have just about never been able to not play things that didn't square with game mechanics; this is because game mechanics have little to no bearing on the setting. Now, things that are presented mechanically (where certain rats spawn, how long an average asteroid takes to deplete, the breadth of market fluctuations), that's one thing. But I'm not sure what an undock counter gets you. Active people in the community have also never really gone for the mainstream with terrible enthusiasm, though they've consistently ended up in it. But this isn't to get shit done, which moves us into the next point.

— Noob-specific problem:  anyone going into to this area is walking into a minefield of ancient chronicles, ancient in-game events, and bitter old vets who nonetheless have hundreds of millions of skillpoints and long memories.  Why the hell would any noob commit EVE-suicide like that?
If there was a real history of being unable to find allies in EVE, for anyone, especially anyone in the roleplay scene, this'd be a valid point. But there's simply too many people looking for a good fight to put on your own side if you have even a bone worth of charm in your body that frankly, the concerns of such groups are a bit of a joke unless they're just plain unlikable. And in that case, the school of hard knocks may be required.

Do you know how far off the deep end my primary corporation was? I was as far from the mainstream corporations in my faction as I could possibly be, and I still got support. I once invited a bunch of corporations to an event while being ostracized. They came; I was given the chance to command a fleet of mixed forces made up of corp members. These people represented political enemies; they were from all points on the continuum of Amarr politics, eclipsing the bloc. They still came; they still flew where asked. I still got to trade with loyalist corps; I still got assistance in wartime.

Frankly, the elephant in this part of the room is Star Fraction, but the truth is if you fight them and don't act the asshole, they'll treat you alright.

Given all that, anyone going for alternative Amarr RP is facing a lonely road that is going to be mostly based in fiction writing, not events.  That's fine for some people.  But not for others, and especially not for those people — the noobs — who still have the energy to do some stuff.
I can't stress this enough, but.

In the absence of developer and storyline events, player events have only GAINED legitimacy and clout in the eyes of the remaining roleplayers in the game.

Took me a while to wrap my head around that one myself, mind.

But even those in the mainline of Amarr RP face some of the same problems.  While CCP continues to produce Amarr PF, most of it is essentially unusable in space, at least for today's cynical no-in-game-event-having generation of EVE player.  The one exception was FW, but even there CCP's writers seem to have slacked off production.  And we all know the problems with FW in general.  (Perhaps because I've played many other MMOs I can recognize how strangely useless CCPs lore is.  It is just out there, with little to no connection to what players actually do.)
Look, a sandbox is a sandbox. In the end, if you don't seek to build yourself that sandcastle, you simply won't get one to play with.

I've played plenty of other MMOs. Most of them have never even had events teams, which means generating a store of useful precedents to draw upon is entirely dependent on conflicting player lore which must be judged on a level field and the extremely occasional fiction update.

The one real contender for the degree of input EVE has is probably Asheron's Call, or whichever early MMO it was that had monthly content updates, on the dot, every month.

In the end, if you're just not comfortable with treating your own stories as legitimate for more than your own character despite the degree to which your actions might affect the experience of a significant number of other players, which includes writing quality fiction if you're shit at doing it mechanically...that's your trouble. I can find newer people that aren't in the grip of that particular mindset, I can train them, give them the skinny on IC information, and send them forth. I can create a feeling quite similar to any event.

So can you.
And thus it is the unifying principle for Amarr RP has long been nothing to do with CCP's PF at all, but instead commitment to a certain style of NRDS, anti-pirate rules of engagement.  And that's something that certainly can be fought in space.  These brought Amarr RP a certain power and fame way, way out of proportion to its size.  But it came at a cost:  cut loose from lore and any kind of character-player separation, what you have are real people arguing about real life !@#$.  And they came to hate each other.  Really hate each other; not their characters — they themselves.  Take a look at IGS and just try to step back; why the !@#$ would anyone want to be part of that?
Community conflict isn't really my concern unless I can halt or end it. Certainly, I take preventative measures. But.

If you thought the community was EVER free from drama, go read the archives until you hit the GNW era.

Then come tell us what you find.
I don't know what the way out is.  I know two things I like to see, though, although neither is particularly realistic:
— On the small corporation scale, maybe it would be possible to start doing something semi-cooperative or semi-arranged with some people on the "other side", using what few "props" we have available to us to get at some normally inaccessible lore.  Of course, events of this sort are anathema to tons of people and there's game/metagame mechanics that make it hard, but....
Why do I detect an undercurrent in your words that such things are to be settled for? Why do you strike me as feeling that it's second rate to stake your own money and ships, instead of asking the devs to stake some for you through volunteering the time and energy of an AURORA member?

Recently, Hav ran an event where he asked for a million units of slaves to be delivered in exchange for a thousand elite slaves.

The elite slaves were Amarrian hostages; the slaves were traded to them at the rate of at least a thousand a day, consecutively, to secure the release of an Amarrian hostage. One per day. Or they'd be killed. No exceptions.

There was a nice IGS post about it. Then the thread was filled with counter-threats and chest beating.

Now, what happened in-game was, someone bit.

Someone spent in the neighborhood of a billion/multiple billions, anonymously, or however much that kind of slave item type went for. And gave it to a loyalist, and biomassed the character they used to deliver the damn things. The logistics of delivery of this cargo were left up to the loyalist; so was the choice to act on their options.

You might have read about the results of the arc, but you likely did not learn about the behind-the-scenes operations. Loyalists petitioned Hav's character for all kinds of things, from more time to the opportunity to get the slaves back in the Empire and publicly demonstrate a willingness to negotiate for the safe transfer of hostages for the sheer sake of strengthening the standing of Imperial liberals.

It was epic; everyone involved was struck by it. It didn't even need to get in the news to become significant, though if we had a better player news organization, we'd be putting it in there. In every other way, EVERY other way except the involvement of volunteers with CCP's backing, this event was just like one undertaken by AURORA.

Especially in terms of the number of people involved. Fuckin' AURORA events were almost always fleeting affairs. Made me raeg, hard.
— I wanna see some ex-Prov corp, somewhere, go north, join the NC, go NBSI, AND still retain some Amarr RP identity, however "light".  I don't know that there are any candidates for this, but it would be cool.
All I can do is repeat my refrain - look up Oberon. They were semi-faction-aligned until perhaps a few years to a good few months ago ago; they were in Esoteria; they fought BoB and lost, and went to Morsus Mihi in the north.

Ex-Provi corps have done that some, too, but I'm not sure what the result is.

Anyway, look. I don't know you; I don't know how deeply these sorts of notions grip you. All I can say is, if you want to get involved with some of my stuff, or some of anyone else's stuff, just say the word OOC or IC and we'll do what we can.

If you want to assure a way in and leave the results up to character interaction, ask about precisely that OOC, though. I reserve the right to have my character decide whether to involve you or not when approached in-character.

(And no, it doesn't goddamn cheapen the roleplay to arrange a couple of hooks.

[mod]Discussion of moderation moved to appropriate board[/mod]

That idea is idiotic. Now, practicing the idea does not render the practitioner idiotic, but fuck, that idea's bad.

Plot hooks are ROUTINELY handed out by people in author roles, in game management roles, in roles of leadership. They come in things as big as the ol' Living Greyhawk campaigns; they come in things as small as short stories. If you accept them enough in fiction to consume the rest of an arc, why must they be given the legitimacy of being developer plot hooks ingame?)

/END SPEW OF POTENTIALLY OVERBEARING BULLSHIT
/LOWER LEVEL OF OPTIMISM BACK DOWN TO 'BITTER VET'
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 05:48 by Ciarente »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2010, 00:43 »

Just like how you lot used to have some rich and interesting Rival House/house supporter roleplay stuff going on, I wish we had Rival Tribe/Tribe Supporter stuff.  

I'd like to clarify this misconception.

There was never such animal.

There were the Sarum followers and the rest.
Individual Amarrian roleplayers chose to follow the 'virtues' of the different Houses and build their characters around those.
Later on most of the Sarum followers turned into Sarumites, which was basically giving lip service to the 'virtues' of the House Sarum while casting the 'sins' of the House into the wind.
Basically they were the most liberal Amarrian roleplayer group around, interracial corps and whatnot.
From Sarumites people like Tomahawk Bliss, Revan, Yoshito, Graelyn and a few others flexed their wings into their more specific worldviews on the Amarrian RP.

Just a short primer on the Houses and their virtues:
Kor-Azor, diplomatic cloak and dagger folk.
Tash-Murkon, Udorians, most merchantile of the Houses.
Kador, traditionalists.
Ardishapur, most religion focused.
Sarum, most militant.

According to the PF the Sarum and the Ardishapur are the ones with the closest ties and they have created the oldest school in the Empire together, Royal Amarr Institute, and basically the agricultural Ardishapur supplied the Sarum, and Navy in general, with food. Ardishapur also are the makers of the Amarrian implants.

Which is one of the reasons that the stuff going on in Empire after TEA does not really make sense, which is another thread altogether :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2010, 00:57 »

while I didn't read TEA past p.96 because fuck the Broker, that stuff seems very much at odds with the progression of news items that have come out since the novel.. like, :wtf: at odds.  But yeah, that's probably for another topic hehe

As far as the perception of more diverse RP between houses, I'd be thrilled if even one tribe among the Minmatars had some kind of representation the way the Sarum/Sarumites were.  Instead, we seem to just have one big happy Minnie family.  I'm trying to change that but the intersection between Motivation Street and Effort Road is tough to find sometimes.

Inspire me, Amarrians!  Show us tribal RPers how it's done!

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:13 »

Just like how you lot used to have some rich and interesting Rival House/house supporter roleplay stuff going on, I wish we had Rival Tribe/Tribe Supporter stuff.  

I'd like to clarify this misconception.

There was never such animal.

Lall's half-right here. There was never such an animal at the corporate level.

What did exist was nice, but had all of a piddling impact on the macroscale. It's time to level that shit up.

Just a short primer on the Houses and their virtues:
Kor-Azor, diplomatic cloak and dagger folk.
Tash-Murkon, Udorians, most merchantile of the Houses.
Kador, traditionalists.
Ardishapur, most religion focused.
Sarum, most militant.

There's a lot more to say here than whatever I'll cram in below. But.

Kor-Azor are diplomatic, and as such they have to be racially liberal; their current status may make them economically liberal out of desperation. They're also likely pacifists; they had to develop their diplomacy because they had one of the weaker militaries, in the opinion of Gaven and, lately, myself.

Tash-Murkon are racially liberal when they're not being racially conservative to cover their asses. They are economically liberal by nature; if Catiz took over the Empire, the State wouldn't stand a chance in terms of economic supremacy.

Kador aren't just Traditionalists. They're also the house that created the most Emperors - not only did they keep winning trials, but they acted to prevent others from gettin' down on them for winning so many trials and got their winners on the throne. This means their politics are very astute - they're the glue that holds the other houses together, and the Imperial house that isn't the emperor Family.

As such, they're what passes for centrists and moderates in pre-war, pre-Jamyl Amarr.

Ardisharpur may have begun as farmers, but at some point they went and got the power to burn the shit out of an entire tribe of Matari - a very numerous tribe. The logistics of this are staggering; genocide is the hardest game around. They're likely enough war-hawks because a commitment to religion is a commitment to the Reclamation. And the Khuumak is all them, you Brutor wanna-bes :P

Sarum, well.

Today's Sarum is necessarily liberal.

The Sarum of Doriam's day was a bunch of conservatives, warmongers, and military brats. Scattered among them were the profligate doubters who saw Jamyl's death (yes, death, Hardin saw a corpse) at the Trials of Succession and decided that while it would affect their beliefs to whatever extent, they wouldn't get together and shake the Heir House until it shifted to a better position.

Sarum was proud. Secure. The Kingdom secession left them without rivals, but possessed of a border state to function as a bulwark, and a poorer one at that. Vak'aithoth or howeverthefuck it's spelled was a century behind, and the great clusterfuck caused by the Grand Admiral that screwed the Jovian pooch forgotten. And then, they had ANOTHER border-state between them and the republic! Lucky bastards.

The new sarum is, well, first centrist - it's the Imperial house, like it or not, and the Emperor defines the de facto center of Amarrian politics without having to occupy the ideological center. And the Imperial house follows well enough, in times of war. Second, liberal, because of prior point - that's right, the center shifted left. Third, likely in uproar for about a hundred reasons - so the volatility of house politics is interesting to say the least.

And finally, Ardisharpur may be turning racially liberal in desperate times; the heir just advocated conversion in a newspoast, but he was kind of known for shit like this IIRC.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:29 »

Technically, Sarum isn't the Imperial House.   When an Emperor takes the throne, they leave their old family behind and join Emperor Family.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 03:42 by Rodj Blake »

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:04 »

Sure. But while there's an Emperor Family corporation, they don't do much other than eat dinner at Jamyl's table, and while Sarum got a new heir, they're not going to forget that in the end it was apparently THEIR champion that was favored by god sufficiently to take the throne for the entirety of her reign unless she turns out to be a total loss - and as it is, her early victories are quite something for them.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:03 »

Someone asked a page back 'what is the Amarr bloc', while a member of pie mentioned that they felt it meant nothing to them.

It means a lot to me, and the time I have available will not do it justice, but here goes:

The term 'Amarr bloc' was originally a derogatory term used by fractionites against the traditional corporations of the Amarr faction, which to my knowledge would be PIE, CVA, 1PG, and by the definition of the SF, probably Aegis Militia too. The label stuck.  In the later years, I would include Delictum 23216 (now AFC) as being within the 'Amarr bloc', particularly after the advent of Factional Warfare.  I would also not include Aegis Militia in my definition of the 'Amarr bloc' these days.  I am hesitant to include any other organisations under that term, the closest I could think of would be the Ordo Quaesitoris.

The 'Amarr bloc' is essentially a loose collection of mutually trusting corporations, that would cooperate in the execution of various tasks as the need arose in an almost masonic manner.  We cooperated in bolstering and organising the Amarr Militia response to the initial victories of the Minmatar militia, coordinating our forces and eventually taking back every last system from their cold hands.

Trust is an extremely important aspect of the 'Amarr bloc', to me it symbolises shared values, a larger network of friendly corporations who 'understand' the problems we face in the form of IGS-frothing, meta-gaming and general poor form. Call it elitist, and I wouldn't disagree. I see it as a group of organisations that wish to preserve what they view as the true path of Amarr RP. While the average member of any of the involved corporations may not see the value in the 'bloc', I believe that the director/CEO levels would have a much greater appreciation of it.

For the outsiders looking in, it may seem like stagnation, but that is all one sees when the blinds are down.  Ashar seems to suggest that refraining from publicising our activities makes them less worthwhile, i.e. 'burn them'. I refute this - they are valuable to those who do them, and at the end of the day, my enjoyment is more important than yours. If I jeopardise my enjoyment by publicising my activities because of the behaviour of others, then I shouldn't in any way have regrets for the lack of enjoyment that this causes others.  I don't have time to sit in a ship and camp an idiot who insists that I behave like some hyper-belligerent teenager. It's a worthless expenditure of my time.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:36 »

Scagga, I both asked the question and said that the Amarr Bloc meant next to nothing to me.  Your description roughly fits with what I *thought* the Amarr Bloc to be.  I am aware of the joint efforts in FW, Provi, and some others, but haven't had opportunity to participate in most of those as they usually don't happen during my 'shift'.

While the average member of any of the involved corporations may not see the value in the 'bloc', I believe that the director/CEO levels would have a much greater appreciation of it

That may be part of the problem there.  For about the last year, myself and a small handful of others, have been the ones doing the day-to-day running of PIE, so I would consider myself well above the 'average' member in the corp.

I know that Rodj, Ruah, Archie, Shaikar, and probably Lae all have stronger ties to the Amarr Bloc members because they were around during it's heyday.  But outside of simply naming, and maybe once or twice saying hello to Grr, Gangreli, and youself, I've had no contact with anyone in the Bloc.

Out of sight, out of mind I guess :(

I don't know what my point is really, just rambling on over lunch  :s
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #55 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:06 »

Scagga -

The bloc's active membership in recent years does not overlap well with its roleplayer membership. Especially in the case of CVA.

And frankly, you're one of the more open groups affiliated with it in the sense of making yourselves accessible to outsiders. But lately your core group has been nowhere in sight.

Accomplishments mean little in terms of present day effects if they have no lasting impact except circumstance; faction warfare has little effect on roleplay. It's currently the first and only iteration of a flawed idea system, and CCP has a lot of history in terms of adopting such things and leaving them be at the fundamental level when they suck.

The 'true path' of Amarr roleplay? Sounds like bullshit to me. What's so exclusively right about your thinking if you can't present a concise argument to those around you about it?

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #56 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:30 »

Quote from: Ashar Kor-Azor
But lately your core group has been nowhere in sight.

What did you mean by 'active' membership, and what did you mean by 'nowhere in sight'? I think it is appropriate to ask: Where are you looking? IGS? Chatsubo? Our internal forums? Our public channels? Our stomping grounds?

Accomplishments mean little in terms of present day effects if they have no lasting impact except circumstance; faction warfare has little effect on roleplay. It's currently the first and only iteration of a flawed idea system, and CCP has a lot of history in terms of adopting such things and leaving them be at the fundamental level when they suck.

If you think FW means little, could you be so kind as to explain what actions would mean something significant in your view? If we have divergent views of what 'significance' is, then we'll be doing 'yes it is/no it isn't' arguments, which rarely get anywhere.

The 'true path' of Amarr roleplay? Sounds like bullshit to me. What's so exclusively right about your thinking if you can't present a concise argument to those around you about it?

It's the same right that you have to suggest that my view of the true path is 'bullshit' without presenting a factually-substantiated argument.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #57 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:32 »

Quote from: Ashar Kor-Azor

If you think FW means little, could you be so kind as to explain what actions would mean something significant in your view? If we have divergent views of what 'significance' is, then we'll be doing 'yes it is/no it isn't' arguments, which rarely get anywhere.
Just so it's not missed, I've split off the FW significance topic to OOC Summit; you can find the new thread here: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=256.0

:)

Twitter

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #58 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:40 »

I would just like to add that there is a lot of speculation on the Houses of the Empire.

Their motivations, their different ways of achieving their goals and whatnot, the problem is that they are treated as archetypes by CCP (just like the whole faction is lolebilslavers.)

Also the nature of the Scriptures may explain very well the Ardishapurian power base.

The clergy in the Empire are not just the shepherds guiding the flock.

They are the scientists, military historians, political historians, lawyers, teachers and advisors to the powerful.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]