Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pirate factions: Where does the tech come from?  (Read 3556 times)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Pirate factions: Where does the tech come from?
« Reply #15 on: 01 Mar 2011, 16:02 »

Now, this pre-dates me, but:
The 'Nibelung' tech 5 mining laser This is the story about how TTI acquired one of the two tech 5 mining laser that ever came in the hands of a player. The stats of this laser were as follows:

'Nibelung' Particle Bore Stream V 30 Energy 20 32mW 1 133tf 22320m 148 ore units 5 60 sec Mining

It happened in the beginning of August 2003. The lead artist of CCP, Torfi Frans, went out in his 'newbie' Jove ship to show the newly modeled ship (and do some role-playing). To reward the player that he role-played with, named Saruu, he dropped the mining laser that he had on the ship into a can, and then messaged Saruu that he had left something outside and to undock immediately. Frans thought that this mining laser was not of much value, and that it was available as rare loot. Saruu was smart enough to realize that this mining laser was immensely valuable, and hence he contacted TTI. Ragnar gave him 50 mil for the laser, which at the time was a considerable sum. Following this a screenshot was published on the TTI website of the laser. Much uproar followed on the EVE-O forums, as this item never was intended to be given out to the players. In exchange for giving the tech 5 mining laser back to the devs, Ragnar were in exchange given a Mining Laser tech 2 BPO, which at that time were not out on the 'lottery'.

The dead rogue Jove dropped more T2 Mining Laser blueprints.

It is worth to note that the original plan, allegedly, has tech levels up to ten, so Tech5 would be mid-level items for someone who has done only art, not playing the game.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2011, 16:06 by Mithfindel »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 01 Mar 2011, 16:26 »

Yeah, the Nibelung miners ended up running rings around all the other equipment...

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #17 on: 02 Mar 2011, 04:43 »

Yeah, the Nibelung miners ended up running rings around all the other equipment...

They were probably worth a hoard, too.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 04 Mar 2011, 15:08 »

Also, Mordu's Legion doesn't have the really good stuff, IIRC. Their implant set is the Electronical Warfare implant set. (Low grade Centurion set.) And apparently, faction ECM modules, according to a LP store database (ellatha.com).

I imagine this is a big part of the reason why many (myself included) don't ever bother going out to Pure Blind to their NPC space to farm LPs and thus they are a very under-represented faction in RP (I also imagine the deeply entrenched NC power-bloc may have something to do with it).  If I had the time, funds, and felt some ECM boost would be worth it, I'd actually bother to do so myself.  The final reason is, of course, that respectable mercenaries draw much less RP crowd than cut-throat villains and factional zealots :9.
Pages: 1 [2]