Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Things I wish I had done differently with Ava  (Read 4623 times)

Jev North

Re: Things I wish I had done differently with Ava
« Reply #15 on: 03 Aug 2012, 05:00 »

Change the character into something you're happy playing. Dark slave pasts can be gotten over, at least partially. Bad moods can soften. Refinement and modernity learned.

Later, someone with bones to pick will sputter at you how you said X in the past, but are saying Y now, probably to try and score points in a completely unrelated discussion. The proper answer to that brand of shenanigans is something along the lines of "that was the past. If you care such a great deal about it, you probably should have stayed there."

One person's character growth is another person's wholly misplaced feeling of inconsistency.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #16 on: 03 Aug 2012, 05:22 »

If it's gotten too bad, one option might be to keep Ava around for the sake of her SP and assets while starting a new character to roleplay with. Might not be what you want, though.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 03 Aug 2012, 05:29 »

Or go with the classic soap-opera solution with an Eve-twist: a minor cloning accident that produces some degree of amnesia and/or personality change (IRL, traumatic brain injury can in fact produce personality changes in some cases, as can brain tumors. I see no reason why a bobble in the interface during a jump-clone or medical clone activation might not have some similar effect).
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 03 Aug 2012, 05:38 »

Seconding the various comments about figuring out what you'd prefer to play and seeing if you can bridge Ava there.

In addition to the ideas offered, I find you can get away with a lot if you decide that it doesn't much matter what you do now so long as you're the best active pilot you can be to answer the call when the second Day of Darkness comes. There are many levels of playing the long game: maybe Ava decides to focus on a different one of them for a time.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #19 on: 03 Aug 2012, 07:10 »

I regret having any connection with slavery in her past.

Why? What is it about slavery that bothers you so much? Whatever that thing is, shouldn't you be able to ignore it in your RP?

I wish I hadnt had her come from such a primitive background.

As part of a Caldari alliance, you have an opportunity to have Ava undergo all kinds of special training and such to be more refined and more educated. You can handwave all sorts of neat ways to have her suddenly be well spoken and much more learned. I guess what I'm saying is, use the changes to Ava's current situation to your advantage.

I wish I had played her a bit less "GRR", a bit more "Look ma, I'm goin Fast!"

There's no reason she can't be less grr now, right?

A few other things that have annoyed me but are comparatively minor.

Like what?

ArtOfLight

« Reply #20 on: 03 Aug 2012, 07:19 »

Why? What is it about slavery that bothers you so much? Whatever that thing is, shouldn't you be able to ignore it in your RP?

This may not be the same with Ava, but I know for me the biggest problem is that people seem largely incapable of handling the topic of slavery and religion with any level of maturity.

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #21 on: 03 Aug 2012, 10:26 »

This may not be the same with Ava, but I know for me the biggest problem is that people seem largely incapable of handling the topic of slavery and religion with any level of maturity.
I actually find the opposite. Characters who are religious find it impossible to speak with someone who isn't religious in a mature manner, ie discussing their religion, answering questions about it, identifying flaws and then finding creative ways around them. That'd be some good RP. Instead it degenerates down to these two very basic statements.

Person 1 : "Your religion is bad"
person 2 : "HEATHEN!"

re: slavery, much the same is true. slavers either seem to immediately make it about religion, and then revert to statement 1 above. Otherwise, anti-slaver cites information about vitoxin, torture, beatings, threats of physical violence, slaver dogs, etc, and then slaver reverts to "but I don't treat my slaves like that, I'm the BEST SLAVE OWNER EVER." The exception to the rule would be those rare individuals who state instead that yes, they do use those methods to keep their flock in line. As part of the Amarr faith is that pain and punishment is part of process of bringing others into the light of their god, as per their scripture. Then just accept the hate that flows their way as due course from unbelievers.

Back on OP;
I think that Ava might dislike having slavery in her past because it is so stero-typical to be a minmatar capsuleer and either post-slave or present-slave. In fact Logan is a minmatar capsuleer and a post-slave. However an Angel cartel slave vice an Amarr slave. He was only a slave for a few years, so he's not quite as indoctrinated.

Ava, if you are looking to move past being a slave, then just move past it. Time heals all wounds, just stop mentioning it, and as lots of people have said, the past doesn't have to define who you want your character to be now.

ArtOfLight

« Reply #22 on: 03 Aug 2012, 12:26 »

Logan, that's my point.

The people playing religious character and slavers AS WELL AS the people opposing them can't handle it with maturity. I wasn't pointing in one direction or the other.

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #23 on: 03 Aug 2012, 12:32 »

Logan, that's my point.

The people playing religious character and slavers AS WELL AS the people opposing them can't handle it with maturity. I wasn't pointing in one direction or the other.
My apologies, mis-read your comment initially. carry on  :)

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #24 on: 12 Aug 2012, 23:34 »

I ran into the same sense of dissatisfaction on Rek, post TRA breakup. What I will say is making a new character to restart does suck on the SP front: Shiroh struggles to fit an Incursus while Rek can slap all the things onto a Firetail. I'd reccomend doing what Kyber suggested if you're really intent on playing on a dedicated reroll. For example, even though Shiroh lacks the SP of Rek, I can still benefit from my years of playing on Rek by metagaming and contracting valuable trinkets between the two chars. There's nothing saying your new Thukker can't happen to know Avlynka and receive the occasional gift  :lol:

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #25 on: 13 Aug 2012, 11:34 »

[mod]Split off slavery tangent. Let me know if I got any of them mixed up.[/mod]
Pages: 1 [2]