Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lai Dai megacorporation has far ranging interests, is one of the foremost research companies in the cluster, and has strong links to the Khanid Kingdom?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Hammer Drops  (Read 10537 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: The Hammer Drops
« Reply #75 on: 02 Feb 2014, 06:37 »

so you think there's not much development left in EVE, Graelyn ?

\o/

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #76 on: 02 Feb 2014, 09:56 »

No one knows the future. Things could change.

The last couple of years clearly define the present, though.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #77 on: 03 Feb 2014, 08:21 »

The 2.1 "patch" for FFXIV:ARR offered more content than an entire "expansion" for EVE Online, at least the "expansions" for the past 2 years. The 2.2 "patch" is looking to be the same.

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #78 on: 03 Feb 2014, 23:24 »

The 2.1 "patch" for FFXIV:ARR offered more content than an entire "expansion" for EVE Online, at least the "expansions" for the past 2 years. The 2.2 "patch" is looking to be the same.

Good for them. A relatively new game give more content than one that has been running for 10 years, and the developers have stated that they are focused on rebalancing more than extra content at the moment? Gasp

Yes, Eve's latest 'expansions' haven't add new content. What it has done is made every ship ingame viable where previously you'd only see a very select number of ships flown. This is probably going to be the case for the next couple years at least, but now with a majority (all sub caps afaik?) tech one hulls passed at least once, they are now looking back at adding newer stuff.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Desiderya

« Reply #79 on: 04 Feb 2014, 00:24 »

Tbh, Rebalance has created a lot of content for me in my little dirty corner. :)

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #80 on: 04 Feb 2014, 04:12 »

V:tM (as well as all of cWoD) has been completely done for many years now.

*Taps on his V20 - VtM 20th anniversary edition, and pointing to the coming new Anarchs book.*

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #81 on: 04 Feb 2014, 07:43 »

Good for them. A relatively new game give more content than one that has been running for 10 years, and the developers have stated that they are focused on rebalancing more than extra content at the moment? Gasp

Yes, Eve's latest 'expansions' haven't add new content. What it has done is made every ship ingame viable where previously you'd only see a very select number of ships flown. This is probably going to be the case for the next couple years at least, but now with a majority (all sub caps afaik?) tech one hulls passed at least once, they are now looking back at adding newer stuff.

Yeah, this.

And yes, you're right - they've passed over all T1 subcaps. There's still a few T2 that are yet to get a pass (HICs, Recons, Logistics, Bombers, Black Ops, T2 industrials, JFs) and they'll probably give some of the already tiericided stuff another look as well.

CCP might not be generating a lot of new content (let's face it, they ARE generating some new content, even if it's not frequently interesting to or worth addressing in our RP) but I'd rather see an environment where players can pick up any ship and be at least semi-viable in combat with it instead of being shoehorned into a small handful of ships from day 1 because nothing else is useful or worth flying.

I mean, I loved the shit out of the Hurricane (still do), but there's a reason that a large chunk of my kills in Veto were while flying one, and it's not "because I liked flying them." Same with a lot of other ships.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #82 on: 04 Feb 2014, 09:06 »

V:tM (as well as all of cWoD) has been completely done for many years now.

*Taps on his V20 - VtM 20th anniversary edition, and pointing to the coming new Anarchs book.*

Wait, you talking about Unbound? That's Onyx Path, not WW.

Edit: I am made of derp. I somehow missed the news that everything Onyx Path was doing is all fully licensed. I just thought this was awesome "extras" or something. This is what happens when you haven't had a group to play with for years, and just pick up stuff for the reading and creating of your own characters and stories that will never be played.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 09:15 by Jace/Brock »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #83 on: 04 Feb 2014, 14:16 »

Tbh, I don't understand how they need 6 months or more to just rebalance a part of the ships every time  (not even the whole roster, just class by class !). It's like if they were all working on something else and actually doing that during their lunchtime. They even hired players like Fozzie to do that, ffs.

The worst imo, is that they actually just say BALANCE! and people will happily drink the coolaid with silly reasonings like "But I prefer them to take their time and have something good than to rush things up and get more crap !"

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: 04 Feb 2014, 14:29 »

They've got other projects they are working on. In my mind, it is always that simple. Good, bad, whatever. Other things are more important.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #85 on: 04 Feb 2014, 14:47 »

Exactly, so even if they wanted to do actual new content, they couldn't really unless calling back all the people they sent away doing other important things because "oh well, they just want balance, no need for a huge budget on that one".

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #86 on: 04 Feb 2014, 22:50 »

I too do not understand how 'balance changes' are ever acceptable as 'new content'

Balance changes are changing the little numbers in the ship stats and bonuses.  It requires a certain amount of dev attention from a small number of people and testing on sisi.  It's not reinventing the wheel, it's changing one wheel for a slightly different one.  This is not new content.

Does no one else think that there are perhaps other things that have taken the attention of the devs these last few years? Side games with the Eve IP, perhaps?  All those eve programmers and artists are clearly working on other things.

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #87 on: 05 Feb 2014, 09:54 »

I too do not understand how 'balance changes' are ever acceptable as 'new content'

Balance changes are changing the little numbers in the ship stats and bonuses.  It requires a certain amount of dev attention from a small number of people and testing on sisi.  It's not reinventing the wheel, it's changing one wheel for a slightly different one.  This is not new content.

Because for a good 7-8 years CCP has gone down the 'new content' route and left some pretty big messes in their wake. Sov, FW, COSMOS, new ship types all got added and then left to their own devices until the player base whined enough for them to listen. Now they are reiterating on these features and assets and the playerbase whines that not enough new stuff is being added. We've already seen a shift from them back to adding more stuff, with the new SoE ships, mobile structures, ghost sites and associated implants.

I guess it's a personal preference thing at the end of the day. My entertainment of the game has vastly increase in the last few expansions than any other that they have released.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: 05 Feb 2014, 09:55 »

As far as new content, I was really expecting a space unicorn I could ride with a trial of glitter emanating from its raised tail. I will never forgive them for ignoring this wonderful opportunity.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #89 on: 05 Feb 2014, 11:07 »

Realistically, I can't help but wonder if a lot of this time is spent untangling the mountains of old code at the core of many critical game features. That's something CCP is going to need to spend a LOT of time on if they want to try any more major overhauls.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7