Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Scagga once had a bodyguard by the name of 'cuddles'?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Why fight player pirates?  (Read 12011 times)

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
Re: Why fight player pirates?
« Reply #75 on: 11 Jan 2012, 18:24 »

Jade, thanks. I'm a bit annoyed that a small part of me wants to feel offended that you suggest using 'cheap' BC's fit for main-battle duties supported by logis, or that 'herp, she thinks I don't know of/never though of gank-cruisers and stuff like that derp', when I was the one asking for advice. I did, and you answered, and noticing that I'm thinking along these tracks already is good to know.

I'll be digesting the part of this that is new to me, for example the more terror-centered angle to bombers and the whole 'feed em an empty hauler' to get them eager and flashy before you hit them. That one sounds down-right evil but what do I care :D

FWIW, nevermind an empty hauler.  Fit it out for surprise buttsex.  One of our guys hilariously died to one such hauler just this morning.

http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=64581

He went to decloak/bump the viator and found himself scrammed, webbed, and jammed.  One of our guys used the same tactic to bait and kill a lot of the solo dictor camps around our area, jumping a bait bestower in, letting the sabre bubble itself, then webbing and scramming it while backup jumped in to kill it.

There are a lot of ways to do this.  Combat logis are another hilarious option.  A lone logistics ship is the most helpless thing in the game.

This is a fairly nasty setup against anything that can't permanently run a tank and is eating sentry fire/rat fire.  Would make an effective gatecamp crasher tackler if you had nearby support, but you need to be wary of ships with high tracking.  AC boats will tear it up.  Anything with 90% webs will tear it up.  Things with pisspoor cap stability and/or non-great tracking will wither and die in a very slow motion war of attrition wherein you take about 4 damage per volley from their guns and you deal about 14 damage per volley with yours while capping them out and enjoying your 65k EHP (no implants), 70m sig and 550m/s speed.  The sentry guns will kill your target for you.  It's very much like a Pilgrim, actually, but even less scary and far more survivable.  And with more DPS (lol).

[Oneiros, solopeeveepee]
Damage Control II
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Armor Explosive Hardener II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Y-S8 Hydrocarbon I Afterburners
Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 800

Heavy Ion Blaster II, Void M
Heavy Ion Blaster II, Void M
Medium Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Medium Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Valkyrie II x5

Ultimately I foresee that that the biggest 'problem' with this will be to build the needed member-count of willing people to help out and how we bring the fight in between. I've a few ideas on this but I think the biggest test will be patience - my own and theirs. Well, at least it's something to think about whenever I consider actively returning to New Eden on my main toons.

Recruiting a competent group of people and keeping them on track towards a common goal is probably one of the hardest things to do in EVE.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #76 on: 11 Jan 2012, 20:23 »

But, the background of most RPers in fantasy games/worlds is that they avoid theorycrafting discussion as OOC at best and a side effect of "powergaming" at worst, when in Eve, our characters ought to be just as busy tinkering with ships, running simulations/projections, and bouncing ideas off each other as we are OOC/OOG.

This. How we do our jobs in EVE is absolutely a topic for in-character discussion--it's one of the things we share--and apart from avoiding obvious OOCisms it sounds just like any other discussion of fits and tactics. There are various fitting tools that help, pilots grew up playing games and have brought some of that terminology with them, and SiSi is the simulator. It's okay to embrace your character's inner theorycrafting geek.

Detour: I find it frustrating when I encounter the idea that playing a combat pilot who's interested in combat piloting somehow isn't proper roleplay unless you also share details of your love life and political views. /Detour

It's also okay to have no real interest in theorycrafting, or in combat in general. There are other games to play in EVE: don't let the combat pilots define their game as the only one that matters.

My main problem with theorycrafting IC is that it's generally not something you do around IC opponents, making it another topic for "among allies and associates" roleplay rather than public roleplay.

And I've had conversations IC with more than one person about ship fitting and theorycrafting [....]

As much as possible, these should be part of roleplay, along with discussion of, oh, boosters, and practical corp administration (curse CONCORD's interface), and approaches to recruitment, and regional power balances. They fit in there right alongside where to find good food on stations and whether the voluval is a form of child abuse.

A couple of points on the main strand here, about whether there's an inverse correlation between "roleplay" and "combat ability". I haven't seen evidence that roleplayers are worse than non-roleplayers in the same niches. Some are excellent combat pilots. Some aren't. (I'm not, although I can fill some combat roles well enough. There are members of my corp and alliance who I'd say are, and I've been blessed with a fairly wide exposure to different aspects of EVE on my different characters.) I have a theory, though, that roleplayers who find a niche and good company may endure in EVE for longer than the usual player life cycle and may have ways of enjoying themselves in EVE that have nothing to do with combat, meaning that they might have mature characters without the combat experience or nous that similarly-mature combat-focused characters might have. I wouldn't assume that about any particular roleplayer, though.

One of the fantastic things about EVE is the way the open PvP flavours the world. I can enjoy playing in that world even if I'm not, myself, more than an occasion contributor in a gang led by someone else.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #77 on: 12 Jan 2012, 00:49 »

FWIW, nevermind an empty hauler.  Fit it out for surprise buttsex.  One of our guys hilariously died to one such hauler just this morning.

http://www.rotekapelle.com/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=64581

He went to decloak/bump the viator and found himself scrammed, webbed, and jammed.  One of our guys used the same tactic to bait and kill a lot of the solo dictor camps around our area, jumping a bait bestower in, letting the sabre bubble itself, then webbing and scramming it while backup jumped in to kill it.

John does something similar with a Battle Badger from time to time.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #78 on: 12 Jan 2012, 03:33 »

Its only way to get AFK bombers to decloak tbh =P

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #79 on: 12 Jan 2012, 03:37 »

Sweet Caldari Jesus, that's a lot of wall-o-texts.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]