Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the connections inside a pod serve as both communications pathways and security wiring? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Why fight player pirates?  (Read 12009 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Why fight player pirates?
« Reply #15 on: 08 Jan 2012, 16:45 »

There really is no incentive in New Eden outside of RP/epeen reasons to fight player pirates.

This is 100% true.

But so is this; There is no incentive in New Eden outside of entertainment value to do anything at all.

I'm not really sure it can be said that piracy is supported by any actual mechanics - after all the only pirate-like activity - Ransom - is entirely created by players. The rest is fully available anywhere else too; boat-violenceing. Piracy has several consequences - sentry aggro for agression, sec-loss, eventual lock-out from high-sec (Avoidable in pods for the sake of suicide-assaults or whatever, but that's another topic) and flashy you-are-now-free-game-and-the-navies-hate-your-ass status anywhere. Much like the trade/transaction mechanic that allows money/item trading being used for ransoms however, players have found ways around this to support their desired play-style.

While I am not sure piracy has a direct mechanic to support it, I do know that anti-piracy definitively don't. What is the AP's job? In short - oppose piracy. The only direct means for that is inconveniencing them and violencing their boats in place of CONCORD - in High-sec you get poped for agression, in low-sec you lose sec-rating until other players can do CONCORD's job for them. ergo, the term 'vigilante' or more common - anti-pirate.

There is no mechanic that positively flag you as a pirate - if you join a corp as the 10th toon and 6 of the others are perma-flashers you don't get punished for association by instantly dropping to perma-flash yourself. This enables you to scout anti-pirates for your friends - AP's won't shoot non-flashers, if they do shoot you, they will have to spend time fixing sec-rating regularly. Time your friends can use performing more piracy while the AP's are in high-sec grinding standings.

There is no NPC entity that flag you as a 'pirate' (The term is entirely player made, like it's counterpart) - there is no CONCORD 'militia' vs the various pirate 'militias'. Ergo AP's have to use their own discretion and decisions have to be made on the run as to who to shoot or not. Alternatively if there are many non-flashies in the corp/alliance with all the pirates, a war-deck allows them to use lighter ships and drones near gates and stations, and none of the non-flashies get any sec-hits for helping them. Ergo, a double-edged sword far as the outlaw mechanic is concerned.

When a pirate and an anti-pirate gang is out roaming, the pirates can fire on whatever they want - what do they care for sec-rating they don't have? They can do this whenever and however they want, and decide not to if, say, the AP gang they ran into is to powerful. Should the AP's fire first, IIRC the pirates are free to return fire because the AP's gain temporary flashy status as well. In fact, should they fire on the pirates anyone can fire on them in return with impunity, and any sentry in range will not fire on either the pirate who got shot, his attacker, or anyone who now attack his attacker. (Correct me if I recall this wrong.)

AP's will have to contend with the fact that any known pirate associate (corp or alliance member, known helper etc.) can chose to make a run for it if they don't like the odds, and the AP's will take sec-hits for agression and possibly ship destruction as a consequence of attacking this person, so long as he has not dropped below -4.9 and/or agressed recently. Gaining a bit of sec-rating back can easily be done with low-sec ratting or missioning to stay above the -5.0 line and force AP's to chose between the kill and their sec-rating. This condition can also be exploited by swiftly making a scouting toon in a noob ship to keep eyes on any AP's, letting you know who, how many, in what, where, doing what, at all times. Ofc this can also be done in high-sec during wars, but in low-sec the AP's can either let the pirates gain risk-free intel or lose sec-rating for poping and podding a disposable scout. Any attempt to do this for AP's requires the 'disposable' alt scout to atl be cloaked because otherwise the pirates will just kill and pod it.

I'm sleepy, so I'm sure I've forgotten some factors to the pirates vs anti-pirate 'conditions' of EVE and the mechanics behind the whole thing.

So, with the mechanics lacking as they are, anti-pirates (and everyone else who live in high-sec) have several reasons not to care with attacking pirates and only one incentive to do so; entertainment. Entertainment marred by an opposing force that has the upper hand in nearly all situations. Still, some persist, and don't end up just going pirate while they are fighting them.

Let's assume a corp desires to fight piracy as a primary objective, just because. They wish to live in high-sec and have access to it, let's say for the sake of deccing known pirate-helper corps, or RP, or whatever. How can they go about consistently fighting pirates, overcoming the limitations of the game, and still maintain a specific presence in low-sec that gets a satisfactory number of pirate camps busted, ships killed and systems cleared?

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 08 Jan 2012, 18:29 »

For some reason there is a sizeable rat population that thinks roleplaying means no fighting abiliy.

There's a good reason for that.  Most roleplayers are shit PvPers.

Confirming I am a shit PvPer.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 08 Jan 2012, 18:46 »

This would only be funny if it was true. It isn't.

I know we have had long talks about this topic and why it don't really complies, but I just could not help myself.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #18 on: 08 Jan 2012, 19:10 »

I know we have had long talks about this topic and why it don't really complies, but I just could not help myself.

Confirming sitting in a 10-man Drake fleet, locking your target and hitting F1 is good PvP.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 08 Jan 2012, 19:58 »

Confirming sitting in a 10-man Drake fleet, locking your target and hitting F1 is good PvP.

Confirming that I am still unable to get any sleep and replying to you.

I added the second non-linky line for a reason Milo, cut down on the bitter. ;)
The vast majority of losses I had to pirates were guys sitting in their 10-man fleet locking their target pressing F1...:evil:

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #20 on: 08 Jan 2012, 20:12 »

Confirming that I am still unable to get any sleep and replying to you.

The vast majority of losses I had to pirates were guys sitting in their 10-man fleet locking their target pressing F1...:evil:

It's not like there's an acceptable form of PvP to be found, anyway.

Drake gangs are just the most ubiquitous wrong answer.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 09 Jan 2012, 01:12 »

Confirming I only hit F1 while pvping.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #22 on: 09 Jan 2012, 01:15 »

Confirming I only hit F1 while pvping.

Yep Pmuch all he does.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #23 on: 09 Jan 2012, 01:19 »

That and yell: "Shut the fuck up! Comms!"

Also: http://ishukone-raata.net/killboard/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=3

Now, that's more like it, Mr Wayne.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2012, 01:20 by Mammal Tafren »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #24 on: 09 Jan 2012, 01:43 »

What button does the GalMil press? :O

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #25 on: 09 Jan 2012, 03:32 »

And I don't like the whole '10v1' either. Huge numbers of kill stats alone really don't mean much. They just show you go out and look for fights, which is good, but there comes a point where you're just dropping 40 ships on 20, and then claiming you're amazing. Let's not turn this into an argument about who's the best at shooting people in space, it can only end badly.

Depends where they have their MWD mapped to. I hear there's right-clicking involved as well.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2012, 03:36 by Milo Caman »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 09 Jan 2012, 07:20 »

approach, cause facemelting only happens at 0mts   :twisted:

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 09 Jan 2012, 09:20 »

That killboard is unbelievably inaccurate.  It's missing about a year's worth of my losses and several months worth of kills even inside of the two year window it covers.  Battleclinic is far more accurate, even if it is an eyesore.

Incidentally, I-RED, CVA and 4th are the three entities that immediately come to mind as RP entities with whom I've had PvP experiences that were not akin to shooting fish in a barrel.  And in general I'd say there's not a group on that list that one of our FCs would not jump into outnumbered 2:1. 

I can't speak to Veto because I've never shot them, only shot things with them, and they have shown no signs of failure.

That said, I can think of dozens of RP entities I've fought in my 5 years in EVE that either a) throw fleets at you and then seem to just sit there and die without taking anything from you, b) hug station while chest-beating in local about how superior they are to you, or c) hire various mercenary entities to help them fight you and then still manage to achieve a.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #28 on: 09 Jan 2012, 11:58 »

approach, cause facemelting only happens at 0mts   :twisted:

Not to be rude, but I was asking IRED. >>

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 09 Jan 2012, 12:03 »

That killboard is unbelievably inaccurate.  It's missing about a year's worth of my losses and several months worth of kills even inside of the two year window it covers.  Battleclinic is far more accurate, even if it is an eyesore.

Incidentally, I-RED, CVA and 4th are the three entities that immediately come to mind as RP entities with whom I've had PvP experiences that were not akin to shooting fish in a barrel.  And in general I'd say there's not a group on that list that one of our FCs would not jump into outnumbered 2:1. 

I can't speak to Veto because I've never shot them, only shot things with them, and they have shown no signs of failure.

That said, I can think of dozens of RP entities I've fought in my 5 years in EVE that either a) throw fleets at you and then seem to just sit there and die without taking anything from you, b) hug station while chest-beating in local about how superior they are to you, or c) hire various mercenary entities to help them fight you and then still manage to achieve a.

I would like to cordially invite you to jump into an EM fleets outnumbered 2 to 1. 
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2012, 12:17 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6