Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Amarrian "godflesh" taboo forbids against cloning? Until YC119, anyway!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Why fight player pirates?  (Read 12010 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Why fight player pirates?
« on: 07 Jan 2012, 10:04 »

- Piracy has no proper counter and the play-style of opposing them is woefully lacking to the point of effectively not existing. This leads to no serious opposition in general and makes low-sec more boring because the only real counter to pirates are what eventually becomes pirates themselves, at the very least in game-play terms.

Utter rubbish, all piracy requires as a counter is a dedicated, moderately sized and competent group. Who are willing to tackle it from many angles.

Granted, you're never going to clear Rancer, but regular 20-man BC fleets, good scouts and intel channels will go a long, long way towards making life difficult for local pirate groups. It's just no-one who knows anything about lowsec dynamics has bothered to tackle the issue on any meaningful scale in the last year.

Yes, low security space requires major changes, Yes well-established flashy groups have more targets and a 'defensive' advantage, but dedicated, competent groups are more than capable of tackling piracy on a local scale if they feel the need to.

My perspective on piracy is a bit different than many.  My corporation has not tried to fight it or conduct it, but have been impacted by it.

We operated in Black Rise and had pirate groups to contend with, primarily H-O-U-S-E.  Their piracy (or demonstrating the ability to fit ships to lock-up Blockade Runners and then kill them) led to us changing our operations to avoid their gate camps.  We didn't actually go fight them for a variety of reasons.

Among those reasons is the idea that actually fighting the pirate gives them exactly what they want - combat!

Like Bloodbird said.

Thanks to the ability to use multiple characters and/or allied players who can access high-sec there really are no reason not to pirate in low-sec

Since most players play all their Eve characters as shards of the same persona (themselves), you can't actually hurt most of their wallets or cut off the pirate from high-sec markets.  (Which is another impact on the ability of players to take on non-combat type roles, people can just create alts for this or that).

So, at the end of the day, unless your organization's goal is to pacify a particular route/area* then I do not think there is a good reason to fight pirates.  And in pacifying a particular area, you do risk looking like pirates yourself (depending on NBSI/NRDS, etc).
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2012, 00:15 by orange »

Crucifire

Re: Why fight player pirates?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2012, 18:12 »

Among those reasons is the idea that actually fighting the pirate gives them exactly what they want - combat!

Maybe, but not all pirates are looking for real fights. Some will simply run when presented with an equal sized fleet. I figure competent antipiracy would be a matter of busting up gate camps and gangs, then brawling down those that would fight back. I don't really see what the issue is?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2012, 19:13 »

Maybe, but not all pirates are looking for real fights. Some will simply run when presented with an equal sized fleet. I figure competent antipiracy would be a matter of busting up gate camps and gangs, then brawling down those that would fight back. I don't really see what the issue is?

Thats sort of the MO for most forms of piracy. You find weak targets, take what they have and leave before there's a reprisal. To look for "real fights," would kind of defeat the purpose of the small gang warfare pirates typically subscribe to. There's really no point in... I don't know what you'd call it, honorable warfare, because it's a foolish tactician who plans to give the enemy an even fight. That being said, the larger renegade corps might be looking for large-scale fights, so perhaps antipirates would have someone to brawl against.

Then again, the antipirates might simply try to copy and reverse pirate tactics, or just duplicate them entirely. Staging gate camps, scanning down targets in plexes, organized small-gang strikes, what have you.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 2012, 19:27 »

Then again, the antipirates might simply try to copy and reverse pirate tactics, or just duplicate them entirely. Staging gate camps, scanning down targets in plexes, organized small-gang strikes, what have you.

Precisely.

As one of our FCs says from time to time, "Think like a predator: not like prey".
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2012, 19:28 by Matariki Rain »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jan 2012, 19:44 »

Precisely.

As one of our FCs says from time to time, "Think like a predator: not like prey".

If I were a lesser man I'd totally steal that. >>

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2012, 21:38 »

The last effective anti-pirate group I remember was the one run by PhyreFox. In the beta test.

What I'm trying to say is, anti-pirates either barely exist, or barely matter. No-one since beta has tried to create a large, coherent and effective anti-pirate force.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2012, 23:41 »

I've seen a few somewhat effective local coalitions and whatnot. Usually anti-pirates who stick with it start also just start pirating. See, more targets if you are both a pirate and an anti-pirate.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2012, 00:45 »

Because the tears are exquisite!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jan 2012, 04:18 »

Because the tears are exquisite!

Wot he sed.

Plus, if you are a roleplayer, the howls of outrage when you get the better of someone who considers themselves to be an elite PvP player are worth a lot. For some reason there is a sizeable rat population that thinks roleplaying means no fighting abiliy.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jan 2012, 04:39 »

There really is no incentive in New Eden outside of RP/epeen reasons to fight player pirates.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jan 2012, 04:56 »

Thats sort of the MO for most forms of piracy. You find weak targets, take what they have and leave before there's a reprisal. To look for "real fights," would kind of defeat the purpose of the small gang warfare pirates typically subscribe to.

A lot of 'pirates' start out looking for good fights in small gangs, and they (did) happen. Killmails and loot are nice, but fights where the odds are even or stacked against you and winning, or losing only by a margin is a lot more fun.

There really is no incentive in New Eden outside of RP/epeen reasons to fight player pirates.

Contrary to popular belief, lowsec is quite lucrative for PvE once you get into systems below 0.4. Grav site mining is also done occasionally with good scouts. There's ISK to be made in it, I just don't think anyone's really deemed it worth looking into.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jan 2012, 08:43 »

Contrary to popular belief, lowsec is quite lucrative for PvE once you get into systems below 0.4. Grav site mining is also done occasionally with good scouts. There's ISK to be made in it, I just don't think anyone's really deemed it worth looking into.

No reason to do that when you can sit in an Incursion for six months like a bawse. >>

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jan 2012, 12:13 »

For some reason there is a sizeable rat population that thinks roleplaying means no fighting abiliy.

There's a good reason for that.  Most roleplayers are shit PvPers. 

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jan 2012, 14:41 »

You might want to generalize that a bit more.

Most EVE players are shit PvPers.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jan 2012, 14:49 »

You might want to generalize that a bit more.

Most EVE players are shit PvPers.
Yeah, and half the RPers are militia or pirate loyalist types who actually have a reason to go undock and PvP.  So they're probably less representative of your average L4 runner or nullbear.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6