Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Quafe is so popular it once prevented a war? Read more in the Chron

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Incarna 1.0  (Read 9911 times)

Crucifire

Re: Incarna 1.0
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jun 2011, 19:39 »

After a couple hours playing with it now, this expansion neither improves nor detracts from my gameplay experience. I can dock up, do my thing, and undock without even noticing there's a character standing back there.

The turrets are also p.cool

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #61 on: 22 Jun 2011, 20:57 »

So - after hoping and hoping that CCP as a whole would start to get things back on track with Incarna and really push EVE back into the territory of a hyper-finished every-detail-perfect level MMO it was back when I started.... has completely been broken.
So, I cancelled my account - my alt account got cancelled last month - I have game time remaining till mid august, but after that unless EVE gets a huge dose of wake-up juice, I doubt I will be re-subbing.

Sad day for me.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

DA5UN

• Wetgraver
  • Even drones can fly away
« Reply #62 on: 23 Jun 2011, 00:02 »

Running well on my custom built, albeit slightly out-of-date, PC. Loving the new turret animations and I'm enjoying the novelty of the quarter's actually. I'm easily amused though. My only complaint is that I would be more inclined to run around to all the little terminals if I could actually run.

Kiruss is a bit of a nervous busy body and I don't see him walking from the PI terminal to his pod with so much swag.

He also rendered quite well imo.
[spoiler]
May need to trim back those eyebrows a tad, but, reppin' the FEDRO.[/spoiler]

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #63 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:13 »

After a couple hours playing with it now, this expansion neither improves nor detracts from my gameplay experience. I can dock up, do my thing, and undock without even noticing there's a character standing back there.

The turrets are also p.cool

I'm with this person. All it really does is remind me that I need to shell out more money to change the character's body now (which should be free now that we see them in motion), and force me to load the map while I idle in station. I understand this project was a huge risk for EVE, but I think trying to release it early instead of as a full package release is going to hurt them in the long term. The graphics are sub-par and the resources EVE requires while docked is like 20x more than in space. It feels incomplete, and rushed, and I'm finding this hard to believe it'll keep people invested.

That said, the turrets are awesome and the recruitment tool is pretty sexy. (and yes, needs improvement)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:19 »

... hyper-finished every-detail-perfect level MMO it was back when I started....

When was that, exactly?

Good God, people. I, with my entry point at 2006, remember probes that scanned a disk 1 AU thick. I remember all-but-unstoppable nanophoons, utterly useless logistics ships, and bombers that were maybe useful for swatting the occasional interceptor if the ceptor was standing still!

Now, my history doesn't go all the way back to 2003, but I do know the stories. Nano-Ravens stacking up torpedoes into a single, unstoppably fatal strike. Torpedoes that functioned like smart bombs, blasting frigates into powder almost without trying. Missiles whose damage was functionally impossible to reduce.

When the hell did CCP have it right?

Ever?

I find myself suspecting that an awful lot of people are wearing rose-colored glasses on their theoretically 20/20 hindsight.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:38 »

Aria, you so dissapoint me bringing logic and reason into someting like this  :(

Joking aside though. I know this is supposed to be just the first installment/groundwork for further Incarna features but even at that i am underwhelmed. Disregarding the strange perfomance issues many have, with fans going into gear like they think they are jetplane engines, i find my avatars rather low resolution on even high setting compared to the charachter creator. Fun looking at the interior/floating ship/vid screen for a few minutes and then you emptied out current CQ "content" more or less.

Turned it all of after 10 minutes on both the desktop and the laptop (was a total nonissue on the lap as a loaded CQ environment at lowest settings meant 5-7 fps and for some reason seemed to also affect my inspace fps. Considering i did 20-25 fps in the old docking environment on all middle settings before patch its a major difference.

Desktop works fine at a high fps, although fan goes into highgear as mentioned earlier if i use 2 clients. Have not tried 3 clients yet and not sure i dare. Used to be able to run 5 clients (all my accounts) at once with no perfomance issues and just a minor up in fan workload.

Severly better optimization needed.

CCP and many of us players hoped/expected Incarna to bring in new players/subs and i am personally not seeing that that will happen in any major way if they dribble out small additions every few months.

Consider that we will not get the other racial quarters for 2-3 months yet (CCP says late august but time overruns do happen to all now and again). So...how long for actual walking in stations?

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #66 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:56 »

This may or may not help some of you with Captain's Quarters:

Depending on the age of your video card and what operating systems you're on:

If you're on Windows Vista or 7, make sure you have DirectX 10 or higher installed and updated to the latest version.

DirectX Update This single download will patch you to the latest version usable by your operating system and video card.

(Even if the game developers say they didn't use DirectX in their design, the fact is that your computer is using it regardless. This might help.)

If you're using an nVidia Card, make sure that you disable all custom enhancements to your graphics for EVE. (To do this, go into your control panel and go to "Advanced 3D Settings" and make sure that "Let the 3D application decide" is set for every available option for EVE and that "use global settings" is set for every other option.

What happens is that the drivers will attempt to override the game's settings which results in highly increased system resource settings. Disabling this will improve performance in most cases.

That may help some of you. I know it's a short list, but it could alleviate some of the problems.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 23 Jun 2011, 10:48 »

Consider that we will not get the other racial quarters for 2-3 months yet (CCP says late august but time overruns do happen to all now and again). So...how long for actual walking in stations?

Personally, I'm guessing the next "title change," so probably the winter expansion. Failing that, next summer.

Impatient though I am, the current version runs smoothly enough on my poor 5-year-old system; there's a frame-rate plunge while in the quarters, but that's no great surprise considering how badly I'm out of date. It's just nice to be able to watch my character narrow her eyes in thought as I contemplate what she's thinking.

What I feel CCP fell down on in this was their marketing strategy for the expansion. This is not the Incarna we were promised; it's a bit like being promised Conan and being presented with an infant and a broadsword. Even if a cloth diaper does resemble a loincloth in some superficial way, and even if the baby has a good chance of actually growing into a badass barbarian, it's still too damn early to ask, "Conan, what is good in life?" and expect an answer more memorable than some happy babbling.

By naming this expansion "Incarna," CCP is implicitly telling us that it's handed us the promised Conan, the full WIS experience, when what it's handed us is that happy, cooing infant.

And that, my friends, that, is bullshit.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 10:49 by Aria Jenneth »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #68 on: 23 Jun 2011, 11:13 »

* Casiella starts the slow clap for Aria

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #69 on: 23 Jun 2011, 11:17 »

They did a similar thing with Incursion, but with a much less shitty initial offering and the promise that the full version would be out in the very near future (less than two months later) and the first iteration actually brought good things (rocket boost, PI improvements, iirc).

This is a much larger undertaking. and it's going to take a long fucking time for them to do anything interesting with it. In the meantime, it's an extra strain on even the systems of people that disable it (I think).

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #70 on: 23 Jun 2011, 15:49 »

Pretty much what Aria said.

For what it's worth, the CQ runs nicely on my 7 year old computer with the graphics all the way up. The lighting is bleh, but the only real issue I have is that my character's pony tail attacks her everytime she moves. The Physx install failed during my last driver update, so I don't think Eve is the problem there.

Maybe running Win XP and Direct X 9c isn't so bad after all.

And just to play devil's advocate, that $60 eye piece might make sense as the ultimate epeen status symbol if it was included in a store with 100+ other reasonably priced items that looked halfway decent. I think the accounting people were way ahead of the art team on that one.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #71 on: 23 Jun 2011, 15:55 »

im buying that eye piece tonight and destroying it.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 15:59 by Invelious »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #72 on: 23 Jun 2011, 16:07 »

I baked this special for you, backstage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #73 on: 23 Jun 2011, 16:36 »

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #74 on: 23 Jun 2011, 16:41 »

So much win Ken.  :lol:

(Add a monocle for double win)
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6