Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That one of the primary exports of the Amarrian Theology Council is booze? (Theology Council in-game info, Market Activity tab).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Cybernetic monocles and stripper poles  (Read 11337 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Cybernetic monocles and stripper poles
« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2011, 08:24 »

Hmm.

The whole idea works for me as a whole, but there's another aspect that applies to us RPers.

What is Aurum? IC-wise, it sounds as though we are transferring spacecash (ISK) into dirtcash (AUR). One would expect such a transaction to incur a hefty transfer fee.

In a way, I'm glad we won't be paying direct ISK. It's pretty immersion-breaking to try to think that your shoes cost as much as a mile-long piece of military hardware. Now, this will not be the case. A plex may cost a lot, sure, but you're transferring it to a planet-based currency, the taking a sliver of that sum and buying something nice.

Plex, to me, always seemed to be the IC/OOC divide made manifest. Now, our ISK will be paid IC, vanish to the other side of the 'wall', and come back as something IC, that doesn't seem retarded. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than what it could have been.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2011, 09:30 »

We're going to start selling vanity items for a new currency called Aurum (which is created from PLEX). We hope you enjoy it but, if you don't, you're in no way forced to take part in it. This will launch within the next couple of months.

[mod]content of moderated post removed.[/mod]

Nope. This has been coming for a while.

I perfectly knew it was coming and have already been voicing against it here and there. Not everyone does that, to begin with, it is just the actual fashionable thing for video games editors with microstransactions and DLC, and all the like. I can't stand that. Even if it is just for cosmetic purposes. Question of ethics for me. You do not develop only for a part of your players. If you don't want to play in a battleship for example, sure, you are not forced to to it. But if you want, you do not have to use microstransactions though. It is the same thing for me here. If I want to use a pair of clothes, I pay for it in isk or whatever is the ingame currency, but not with a currency tied to any microtransaction related to RL stuff. In my opinion it is utter bullshit. Second life, anyone ?

Ethics?

Strange place to be applying ethics. I'm not sure what's un-ethical about including optional content. Don't like, don't buy, non?

I've been screaming for content devoted to only a part of your players for ages. I have nothing better to spend my infinite ISK on besides cyber-monocles and vanity items. I just hope there's elite +3 monocles for players with 100m SP or more.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 14:59 by Ciarente »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2011, 10:28 »

So you can still buy anything with ISK, it doesn't provide a game-mechanical advantage in any way, and you can completely ignore it all if you prefer.

I fail to see an issue. At worst, this is like the RP-type items in game that do nothing mechanically but find their way into hangars (e.g. exotic dancers / janitors / marines, etc.)

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2011, 10:55 »

I think it would make more sense if you lost your clothes when you lost your ship, even if you saved your pod ... but probably difficult to implement?

I think it would make more sense if your entire wardrobe over your extremely extended life time cost at most a few hundred ISK as was not something that you even thought about after getting podded.

I just checked at at most 1.5 cubic meters of poly textiles goes for 6k isk.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 10:59 by Hamish Grayson »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #34 on: 28 May 2011, 10:58 »

I think it would make more sense if your entire wardrobe over your extremely extended life time cost at most a few hundred ISK as was not something that you even thought about after getting podded.

Ohhh... you're looking for the making sense game...  that's... uh, that's not here. :psyccp:

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #35 on: 28 May 2011, 11:00 »

Yea *handwaves*

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #36 on: 28 May 2011, 11:02 »

That's the equivalent of the "free" clothes. Not the super-mega-expensive designer shit.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #37 on: 28 May 2011, 11:04 »

And by super-mega-expensive you mean a pair of pants more than it cost to build and equip some warships or to construct a colony.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #38 on: 28 May 2011, 11:07 »

Don't pod me, bro.

[spoiler]Methinks this is a good reason for higher ransoms...  :yar:[/spoiler]

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 28 May 2011, 11:10 »

Just because it's ridiculous doesn't mean it's unrealistic.

See, e.g., Ms. Palin's shopping habits on the McCain campaign dime, way back when. Does anyone happen to recall what the price tag was, aside from "silly?"

Edit:

It was about $150,000, mostly from sprees at Saks and Neiman Marcus.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 11:31 by Aria Jenneth »

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #40 on: 28 May 2011, 11:18 »

I suppose.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 28 May 2011, 11:37 »

Also, while stuff like the following might be too over-the-top (in multiple ways) for most contemporary human beings, it does seem like something a capsuleer would want to own.

Just, you know, because.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_Love_of_God

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 28 May 2011, 12:28 »

EVE is a game about acquiring power and wealth. I dont mind the "bling" clothing.  What good is being mega-wealthy if you can instantly be recognized while standing among the merely wealthy?
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lyn Farel

« Reply #44 on: 28 May 2011, 18:44 »

There's something a bit strange in the arguments that people don't want micro-transactions for in-game benefit. While I most certainly agree that I don't want some uber t4 missiles to be available for real money, but to some extent this has already been possible. The introduction of PLEX has made it possible to buy real advantage in-game with real money. Yet that has not caused a shitstorm of epic proportions.

I personnaly think that PLEX are a plague (more harm than good), but thats just me from what I have seen.

So you can still buy anything with ISK, it doesn't provide a game-mechanical advantage in any way, and you can completely ignore it all if you prefer.

I fail to see an issue. At worst, this is like the RP-type items in game that do nothing mechanically but find their way into hangars (e.g. exotic dancers / janitors / marines, etc.)

Probably because I have a personnal issue with any kind of microtransactions, be it directly or indirectly related to it. I just can't support any game introducing or forcing RL inegalities ingame.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5