Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Society for the Conservation of State Traditions is a fiercly nationalistic Caldari lobbyist organization that unleashed a scathing rebuke of PIE Inc. pilot Kostantin Mort in late YC106.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lo' New Eden o7  (Read 2484 times)

Edalyn Isagar

• Clonejack
Lo' New Eden o7
« on: 14 Apr 2015, 09:29 »

Hello,

So I've been playing EVE on and off since 04'. Much of that time, I've tried to carry out my role in New Eden in-character; however, it isn't the easiest game to role-play in. Despite this, I've been in love with the New Eden lore since day one. So much so, that years back (around 07'ish) I even participated in the ISD Aurora team (hopefully I'm not violating an NDA or EULA by admitting that).

EVE to me, is the most socially oriented MMORPG out there. I say this because the vast bulk of the content in New Eden is player generated. For me, it's a throw back to content environments like that which was found Ultima Online of the late 90's and first couple years of the 2000's. Players aren't the sole hero, but instead, a member of the community - a living community.

Like old UO, the volunteers and staff of CCP work to enable this player driven content. Rather than have the lore be initially stated as a static "as a matter of fact" backdrop, and then never crossing the players actions, the lore of New Eden is accessible to the player. The lore is living and moveable alongside, and pushed forward by the community.

So, what is my experience with the lore? Well, I've read the three major novels, Empyrean Age, Burning Life, and Templar One. I've also read numerous chronicles; though, I couldn't begin to tell you how many. I've also spent a fair amount of time posting in the Intergalactic Summit of the EVE-O forums throughout the years.

Outside of the official lore, I've participated in putting together a paper-pencil New Eden game with an experienced paper-pencil game designer friend of mine. Would love to get that going again. And I also write my own fan fiction; to which end I plan on writing an EVE Fan Fiction novel for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year.

So that's a part of the reason I love EVE. Outside of the game, I'm a 29 year old husband, and father of one (step-father to three more), and work full-time, while going to school (Journalism and Emerging Media). That said, I do not have nearly enough time to spend in-game than I'd like.  Fortunately, the lore of New Eden does not require a whole lot of time logged in-game.

Oh, and before I end this, I found Backstage through the Know Your Lore series on the Hydrostatic/Aideron Robotics podcast.

Anyways, that is about it for who I am. Of course, if for whatever reason you want to know more, feel free to ask. I'm looking forward to discussing and debating lore with you all :)
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2015, 09:33 by Edalyn Isagar »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: Lo' New Eden o7
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2015, 10:01 »

Welcome ^^

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Edalyn Isagar

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2015, 10:08 »

Thanks! :)

Nissui

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2015, 11:21 »

I can relate on multiple levels: work, school, family, and a strong appreciation for the EVE IP. I even tried UO long ago, on Great Lakes, though I was not very good and did not last long.

Welcome backstage, hope to cross paths with you sometime. o7

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:10 »

Oh, and before I end this, I found Backstage through the Know Your Lore series on the Hydrostatic/Aideron Robotics podcast.

I need a :smugbert: emoticon for this forum now, I think... (Silver pls)

We're doing another lore panel tonight at 0100 EVE (9pm Eastern US), by the way - come listen in!
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Edalyn Isagar

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:18 »

Thanks all :)

UO long ago, on Great Lakes

As did I. Played with the Shadowclan Orcs (Shadowclan used to have a presence in New Eden as well). Speaking of the orcs on Great Lakes and developer/player content relations, us orcs role-played orcs so well, that the GMs gave us orc masks that made it so the NPC orcs wouldn't attack us in our orc fort :p.

We're doing another lore panel tonight at 0100 EVE (9pm Eastern US), by the way - come listen in!

I will definitely do that. Just got through the Rhea lore panel. Moving onto the Tiamat panel now.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2015, 13:53 »

Hey hey! Always good to see another long-termer show up; we'll be glad to have you around!
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2015, 16:54 »

Hello! :D

It is always great to have another peep around, and active, I look forward to seeing you in-game!

-A :)

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2015, 18:32 »

\o fellow nerd.

I, like you, still pay for EVE Online for some reason, long after I've been able to spend enough time with it to justify the expense.  :oops:

Edalyn Isagar

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:28 »

Thanks everyone. I'm surprised to see how active these boards are. This is awesome. :)

I fell asleep during it (not the panelists fault; I was doped up on allergy and cold medicine) and had a dream that I had capsuleers at my day-job trying to invade my cells to claim sovereignty over me... 0.o

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:47 »

Welcome.

That's one weird dream. I stayed too late one night doing logi for a TVP incursion fleet. The next morning, my wife was trying to wake me up, and I was dreaming that she was broadcasting for shields, and I couldn't find the shield reps on my pillow.

Edalyn Isagar

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:49 »

Oh that's great. Maybe we're the Sleepers after all :p

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2015, 07:21 »

Ha, that's okay. The Twitch VOD should be available already, and the Youtube version will be up in a day or two. Glad you enjoyed what you got to hear.

And since I forgot to say it in my earlier post, welcome! :3
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Edalyn Isagar

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2015, 07:42 »

Thanks for having me Morwen. I'll catch the recording once it's up.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2015, 14:10 »

*Boops the new person*

You are now officially part of backstage! Welcome!  :D
Pages: [1] 2