Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Achura has been part of the State for three centuries? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: EVE and Bands  (Read 1935 times)

Anslol

EVE and Bands
« on: 24 Jun 2013, 09:55 »

When I ask people what they thought of Eve after first trying it, they liken it to a game that either I-Bankers or would-be megalomaniac nutters live out their fantasies of universal dominance by spreadsheet. Apparently, Eve likes to challenge itself to see how many people it can make quit by throwing depressing account sheet shurikens at them and record how many withdraw in disturbed, appreciative, bleeding awe at just what a evil genius cesspool Eve is while lamenting at the world's prospective great innovators being lost to collecting tears over lost pixels.

With cards now hurled onto the table hard enough to bounce off and slice someone's eye open as a grim homage to our game's deadly and famous spreadsheet ninja stars, I'd like to bring up a topic to back us away from the grim dark a bit and puts us more in the realm of cultural discussion. While Eve is known to be a bleak game, the content within it, including culture, is still driven in some part by we the players (scum bag bankers and megalomaniacs included).

I'd like to talk about musicians and music in Eve.

I've set Anslo up in such a way that he was (OR IS) the lead singer of a rock band in Caille that enjoyed (OR ENJOYS) a decent amount of fame in its genre circle. It isn't some intergalactically known power house of music and lyrics like a space version of Aerosmith covered in space panties while snorting space drugs (SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE). However, when you ask about the band in Caille, those familiar with the rock scene would know or have heard of them.

So, what do you all think of RP bands and musicians? I know Morwen IC has an instrument, Arac plays piano, and a few sing. But what about RP'd bands that had (OR STILL HAVE) shows and albums coming out?

Interesting RP, or god modding fame when there is none to be had?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: EVE and Bands
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2013, 10:17 »

Roc Wieler would be the most obvious one here.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2013, 10:18 »

[...] Morwen IC has an instrument [...]

Three now, actually - that she actively plays, anyway - I have a little 'fluff' interview/article about this that I've almost got finished, but the tl;dr is that 13 years of training in performing arts and little else (like a little help from a source she usually keeps quiet about in public) has left her comfortable picking up most stringed instruments and figuring them out within a few weeks or months. Then there's dancing and vocal training, as some have experienced.

Sakaane is another character who sings and plays a couple instruments, and it's a big part of her character's backstory.

I think it's a good way to provide character-based content for the entertainment of other players (and their characters, of course). As far as recognition goes, it's the same rule of thumb as with other kinds of things - the more 'local' you keep your sphere of influence, the better, because the number of people affected by it stays limited and allows for more opt-in. If they've heard of the group, awesome. If not, well, they just weren't around in the right place(s) at the right time(s), too bad. For example, Morwen and Anabella (from EM) might have heard of Anslo's group, both of them having grown up in Caille, but on the other hand, if the style of music played by that group wasn't to their tastes, they might not have - no harm, no foul either way.

Claiming very widespread recognition is probably pushing it, though - but I can't think of any cases where that's been done. (Will post more later, I think - it's an interesting subject but I need lunch bad. :x )
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2013, 10:47 »

Hurry up and eat and poast moar!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:10 »

Choirs and other religious-themed music are canon in Amarr space, and frankly I see no reason why there wouldn't be a music on a great number of topics as well so long as the lyrics are kept 'tasteful'.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:13 »

I think Morwen's observations are valid. Building a local cult following would be easier and has less impact upon other characters.

How to handle fame and the supposed influence that a major performing artist has would be a lot harder to do from the player-side of EVE.  I can't speak for others, but I tend to take a laid-back approach to other people's stories in that if the idea is sound, I'll roll with it (heck, even if the idea is way out there but is cool, I'll roll with it).
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:14 »

Nathan Explosion is based on Gottiii.  Trufax
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:15 »

Choirs and other religious-themed music are canon in Amarr space, and frankly I see no reason why there wouldn't be a music on a great number of topics as well so long as the lyrics are kept 'tasteful'.

In that regard Luna has "written" and sung some music for the choir at the Amarr Legio Basilica.. but I think only a few Amarr rp'ers know about that IC so far.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:37 »

Vince plays the guitar and sings. Though he has not done so in public for ages.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:40 »

There was something about music, and how artificial pop groups are a thing in the Federation. Completely CGI artificial personalities to sing and dance and so on. It's all a bit o.O
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:47 »

I think even the least popular capsuleer-involved bands would probably have more fans (in raw numbers) than the most popular musicians we've ever seen on Earth.

WTB more capsuleer 'rock band' characters and groups.

Anslol

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:54 »

WTB more capsuleer 'rock band' characters and groups.

Hi.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:55 »

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:00 »

Karmilla plays piano and sings. I had thought to have her perform a few shows in the Federation a year or two ago, but it never came up in RP.

Anslol

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:01 »

Pages: [1] 2