Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: People RP in Dust?  (Read 3132 times)

Aquila Shadow

• Totally not a spy
  • Clonejack
People RP in Dust?
« on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:14 »

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=64984

Turns out that Dust mercs can be as worked up about their faction as the eve players.

Falcon if your reading this we need a Dust IGS.

Think of the tears  :twisted:

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: People RP in Dust?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:19 »

What we need is some cross-posting action.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Gorion

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2013, 15:59 »

Is there a faction of pre-teens shouting in their mics shouting "FAGGOT HOMO HACKERS!"? I imagine that will be the most popular.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2013, 01:07 »

Is there a faction of pre-teens shouting in their mics shouting "FAGGOT HOMO HACKERS!"? I imagine that will be the most popular.

Never forget their epic fight against the faction of "The Imperial Regiment of Motherly Intercourse".

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2013, 03:13 »

Actually I refer reading the Dust forums above eve-o as there appears a general higher level of care for immersion and the setting and less e-peen swinging.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2013, 19:12 »

FPS = more naturally immersive than a permanent third-person view of a ship you, until recently, could never leave.

The worst I can say about DUST's RP culture at the moment is that it's all potential and no actual. Eve has a well-developed, but marginalized, RP base. DUST has open, thoughtful discussions in "General Topics" of the most "realistic" way to represent a railgun and why people do or do not like the Gallente, but this is rarely refined into outright roleplay.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2013, 23:35 »

Actually I refer reading the Dust forums above eve-o as there appears a general higher level of care for immersion and the setting and less e-peen swinging.
It's on order. They're operating the Dustows v1.1 OS right now. v2.0 debuts at launch, and I hear there're going to be new e-peen settings for the forums.

Reyd Karris

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2013, 22:42 »

I've seen a lot of discussion in local chat between DUST players that is as close to IC as I've seen in any local chat. Ever.

That said, if I want RP I go to The Summit between matches. Haven't really looked much at the DUST forums because it's a pain to log into. I don't really know any other DUST players, and I honestly don't spend enough time each day on DUST to really merit focusing on developing a presence in any DUST RP circles.

My experience is probably similar to a lot of DUST players. Add in the fact that a lot of DUST players may not have spare keyboards for chat (or don't know that you can hook up any USB keyboard to the Playstation), and the chances of a huge RP community in DUST kind of dissipates.

I'm more than willing to join in some casual RP with other DUST/EVE players. It's just not a priority.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2013, 11:06 »

Yeah, the ambient background level of RP in DUST is pretty high. Which makes what I'm about to say next a real shame:

At the moment, DUST is incompatible with focused roleplay corporations. The reason for this is simple: focused roleplayers, e.g., just about everybody who frequents this forum, are rare, and it's difficult to get us all moving in one IC direction. DUST's best features are solidly team and corp-oriented: you need voice comms and enough players to reliably be able to form squads during most active time periods, or people will wander off to join entities offering better odds of success. This is particularly crucial if you plan to get involved in planetary conquest.

There just are not enough roleplayers in DUST playing like-minded characters for us to establish a strong DUST corp of our own.

I've signed up with a flat-out merc corporation, the Pink Fluffy Bounty Hunterz ("PFBHz" - I'm not sure whether the fact that they're one of DUST's deadliest corporations makes the name more or less funny), and plan to remain until I see a viable, RP-oriented alternative. This is not to say I'm giving up: quite the opposite. I'll just be developing Tarquin-as-ruthless-pragmatist rather than Tarquin-as-wounded-man-of-principle for the moment.

... And I might just see whether I can start up an immersionist "club" within PFBHz.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2013, 11:10 by Aria Jenneth »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2013, 11:37 »

It would also help if you could pick which side of a match you want to fight for, but given things are still in beta I can kind of understand the need for games to be played being more important than people being able to pick a side. :\
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2013, 13:49 »

Speaking of immersion...

One of the features in the Uprising release is:

Quote from: Massively
Ships in orbit that are firing orbital strikes be visible to those on the ground. Players should also see things in a whole new light -- literally! Day/night cycles will also be implemented to increase the sense of realism. And as for realism, Fannar noted that these cycles (along with the direction of the sun and the shadows) will be accurate to the actual rotation of the specific planet within EVE.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/27/gdc-2013-dust-514s-uprising-update-conquers-your-ps3-on-may-6/

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2013, 15:04 »

Since when planet rotate in Eve ?  :eek:

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2013, 15:11 »

They did it from Crucible to Retribution, you could sit in orbit and watch them go by beneath you. However, they only rotated on their axis, not around the sun.

When Eve was linked to Dust, they stopped them rotating again, so I can only imagine they will start them up again sometime before the Uprising dust patch.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 01 Apr 2013, 02:39 »

Ah yes... I meant around their star.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #14 on: 01 Apr 2013, 06:31 »

... which technically is another word entirely - "orbit".

Considering districts are supposedly linked to static locations on planet surfaces, I'm not sure how they're going to manage that, Kala. I'm pretty sure our ships don't move fast enough to keep up with the district satellites if they're in geosynchronous orbit. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: [1] 2