Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cyberdogs?  (Read 5986 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Cyberdogs?
« Reply #30 on: 08 May 2012, 03:43 »

Who wants to RP a CPU made out of meat?
Those that want to RP regular people instead of demi-gods/heroes/villains/ubermench.

What you are does not define you, what you do does.

One of the most basic things that lead to a happy life :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #31 on: 08 May 2012, 04:55 »

Despite what you are suggesting I think that ive accomplished enough ingame that my character does not need superpowers to make me feel validated in the world of eve.    I just think that whatever the current content team might do with the story the origional guys intended our characters to have 'superpowers' compared to a completely unagmented human.  

In a setting were quantum computing devices are common and cheap, I don't think a human brain is going to be the best computer out there.   

When all of the other Capsuleers are also Demi-gods you are just a normal guy.   You aren't a special snowflake among your own kind, but to regular people you are a super-human.

Also, while I don't think skillbooks are available to most people no matter wealthy the are, attribute implant are pretty common and not as cost prohibative as the ones made for capsuleer use.   This means that the non-Capsuleers a player character with several billion ISK is likely to interact with won't have quite as staggering a gap as a true baseline.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2012, 06:42 by Hamish Grayson »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #32 on: 08 May 2012, 10:36 »

would it not be simpler to:

1. upload a dog brain to a machine (a la Todo Kirkinen of Zainou Biotech)

2. Make Copies.

4. Install into constructed robot dog type drone things.

instead of cyberising individual dogs, you just make 1 and copy it ?
\o/

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 08 May 2012, 11:27 »

Louella:

Yes. Yes, it would.

However, I'm pretty sure that scenario makes New Eden's cyber-ethicists twitch; I'm not at all sure that the legal bar on uploading people is actually limited to people.

Entertaining thought, though. Oh-- wait, an actual issue.

Smell. A dog's identity is highly keyed into the sense of smell, right? Hence all the butt-sniffing upon first meeting. Now, I certainly don't know this for sure, but it seems like you'd need to have some way of making sure that any given copy still smells like itself to itself, and that any other cyberpooch (including other uploaded copies) smells different. I was going to suggest that you could gradually change the smell of a given copy, but that seems troublesome.

What you might be able to do is include some sort of algorithm that makes any given copy always smell, to itself, like the original, and makes any copy with a different serial number smell different-- possibly through a scent-modification based on the serial number. Hm.

Still illegal, probably, but a fun idea to play with.

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #34 on: 09 May 2012, 23:11 »

Cyberhound printmachine?
Is it wrong I want to see this ingame?

I think the biggest problem might be stability of the original blueprint. Unless it is in stasis instead of actually being 'aware'. A human would have hard time adjusting to such, a drooler likely a lot more.
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #35 on: 12 May 2012, 21:50 »

Simca and Katrina have a cyberdog. It's just a little sphere that rolls around with a head that pops out and a tinny robot bark. He is lots of fun in RP though. :lol:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2012, 02:25 »

Biggest problem with a cyberdog would be the interface with the dog.

The animal has no way of communicating with you on how the implant 'feels' compared to the unimplanted sense or capability. The animal also has no real capability to adapt to the new sensations, at least not in a constructive way. Some animals would deal with the implantation well, some would not.

Then there is the issue of instincts, they could be triggered at random because of the insecurity that the animal feels because of its new set of sensations coming from its body. Which would mean that the animal would be far from safe.

Strap on cybernetics that would not really affect the animal in any way would be a viable option.

Ones that really affect the sensory feedback that the animal has normally, bit chancy.

You could probably make a harness that has the stuff that you would like to strap on to your doggie instead of cybering it up, which would be a lot cheaper.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2012, 03:50 »

Perhaps instead of uploading an animal into an artificial body you program an expert system and make it mimic pack hunter behaviour? I mean it's more or less what game designers do with NPC's right?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Jev North

« Reply #38 on: 13 May 2012, 04:18 »

The obvious solution, a la Woken Furies, is to upload a human infomorph into the dog body. :evilmustachetwirl:

Random Sentience

« Reply #39 on: 13 May 2012, 19:59 »

Cybernetic dogs? In a setting that has rogue drones?

This is why a "singularity" is a bad thing.  :P

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 13 May 2012, 22:11 »

Why would a cybernetic dog be problematic in the context of rogue drones? Even a fairly heavily augmented dog-mind is still most likely canine at base, and can be expected to react predictably in a great many ways. For example, dogs are highly-social pack animals, and treat others they associate with, canine or human, accordingly. So long as you can keep them persuaded of their subordinate place in the pack structure, things will generally be peachy.

This is not so much the case with droolers, but that's another issue entirely.

AI are not problematic because they're both nonhuman and smart; they're problematic because they're nonhuman, smart, and unpredictable. Lethally so.

Also, they're better at computers than you are. That's not something a dog is likely to be unless modified to the point where "dog" becomes a misnomer.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2012, 22:14 by Aria Jenneth »

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 14 May 2012, 17:15 »

I think the real question here is: Will there be Cybercats?

loading....//..settings calibrated: Maximum Snugglyness achieved.
purr.exe:initated//...Purring engaged at 78%.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 14 May 2012, 19:10 »

petting level steady at 37%...//...level insufficient.
initiating human_you_have_failed_me_for_the_last_time.exe

Possibly not.

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #43 on: 15 May 2012, 12:39 »

Well, I'm of theory that we have rogue, self-replicating AI, cybernetically enhanced 'paladins' (cyber-knights and the Dusties now), people who have uploaded themselves into artificial constructs/evironments(Zainou/Sleepers), and a myriad of other technological shenanigans... while it may not be the most efficient method of security, I see no reason someone with the time/money/motivation can't create something along these lines to be a "shock factor" for someone trying to gain entry.

Improving intelligence to a cognative level may be a stretch, but increasing pysical attributes and/or altering their sensory inputs should be easy. And with TCMC-esque implants.. even agression boosting modifications allow controlled interaction.

We have "recreactional body modding"... no reason practical modifications of animals can't exist.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 19 May 2012, 16:30 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4