Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Amarrian "godflesh" taboo forbids against cloning? Until YC119, anyway!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cyberdogs?  (Read 5989 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: Cyberdogs?
« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2012, 13:46 »

But that's the way all "stats" work in-game, Mith. Your starting Charisma doesn't modify your social skills; it just makes them easier to learn. Your starting Perception doesn't make you a better shot; it just makes it easier to become one. That's not to say that a character with high charisma isn't more charismatic or that a character with high perception isn't more perceptive: it seems that the "stat" just indicates natural talent, and those with natural talent learn faster.

So, from that angle, a chipped slaver's training time for "Basic infantry tactics I" might decrease from, essentially, infinite, to, say, 5 days. Or 1 day. Training time for "Advanced Small Unit Maneuvers I" could be more like a month-- but imagine an entire unit of chipped slaver dogs with even a basic understanding of tactical teamwork.

Yikes.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2012, 14:43 »

This does remind me

Kybernetes when is that puppy going in for augmentation

(TS-F has a specific part of our application form addressing this topic, people can opt in for their pets to be SCIENCED)

Do TS-F enhance their hanging long limbs and fedos ?

Zegerth has a pet Hanging Long Limb thats been pretty beefed up, now that you remind me about him.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2012, 15:32 »

Zegerth has a pet Hanging Long Limb thats been pretty beefed up, now that you remind me about him.

Sickle? As in "the Sickle trick" for emoting extra characters from an account?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2012, 16:05 »

Sickle? As in "the Sickle trick" for emoting extra characters from an account?

Yes, his name is Sickle.

Wait people call it the Sickle trick?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 06 May 2012, 17:51 »

What is this sickle trick?

Cyberdogs... hmmm. Not in wide use, but I could see a Khanid or two researching cybernetic augmentations to make their war dogs more effective. I could also see a notorious Blood Raider administering psychosurgery to a Slaver hound to make it more psychotic or something.

Naturally as a Slaver breeder, I frown upon this sort of thing. Nothing like a loyal purebred trained in the Amarr method.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2012, 20:16 »

What is this sickle trick?.

Speak or emote on your character.
Instead of hitting Return, hit Shift-Return to take you to a new line.
Speak or emote as the other character, using formatting such as naming, bolding, >, whatever, to make it look like a normal participant.
Hit Return.

It's not perfect, mostly because you can tell which players show images and which don't by how many carriage returns they favour. It means you can "play" pets and sidekicks and general NPCs in a more realistic way without having to dual-client them.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #21 on: 07 May 2012, 12:50 »

While I'm not sure about Amarrians and bioengineering, they are on the cutting edge of cybernetics. It's one of their things (because of the whole keeping the emperor alive with implants deal, among other things. The old emperor. Before things became terrible.)

It might just be unreasonably expensive for it to be something that is deployed commonly, but that doesn't mean that it isn't done at all. And as far as implants being species specific, well, they are already (one imagines) quite specific to the person using them, so customizing them for a different species may not be the challenge it would seem.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2012, 13:10 »

Doubtful on the human-intelligence part.

Otherwise seems possibly do-able but I would imagine it to be such an expensive and rare thing to only be used for show or as a 'gimmick' intimidation guard to scare others.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #23 on: 07 May 2012, 13:22 »

Well, giving a slaver hound (or other animal) 'human level intelligence' probably wouldn't be the same as making them human-like. They're still wired like a slaver hound, they would just be a lot brighter. A 'social adaptation' chip would probably go further toward making a slaver 'humanlike' in any interactions and it's communications with humans than just intelligence would.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2012, 13:25 »

I could imagine some good fiction depicting an initial small batch of these test animals and their escape / being hunted down.  I think the point would be that they should be written as very special, and unique. 

I can't imagine these things being regular front-line, it just seems to inefficient.

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2012, 14:19 »

If you need fast, expendable shocktroops. Slave militia.
If you need shocktroops, without inordinate expenditures. Slaverhound packs.
If you need shocktroops. Khanid Cyber Knights.

If you need a bodyguard that will be underestimated and price is not an issue. Genetically modified, Cyber hound.

Not a military level solution, but certainly somehing within an Amarrian  arsenal of tricks?
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2012, 14:24 »

If you need fast, expendable shocktroops. Slave militia.
If you need shocktroops, without inordinate expenditures. Slaverhound packs.
If you need shocktroops. Khanid Cyber Knights.

If you need a bodyguard that will be underestimated and price is not an issue. Genetically modified, Cyber hound.

Not a military level solution, but certainly somehing within an Amarrian  arsenal of tricks?

Aye. I could also likely see them 'modified' to have  removable 'panel' to hide a weapon, or be rigged to explode, or any other number of tricks.    I'm sure a few lords and ladies have sent exploding pure-bred slaver hounds to political enemies  ;)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2012, 16:00 »

Remember the "slamhounds" described at the start of Mona Lisa Overdrive? Imprint with a target's scent & or voiceprint and image then let loose to track it down & explode on contact.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2012, 16:10 »

Woof!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #29 on: 07 May 2012, 16:28 »

The standard attribute boosting implants actually don't offer any benefits to you. What they do is that uploading relevant skill data is faster, i.e. they interface with the learning equipment. A social chip doesn't make you more social

The descriptions in the learning skills suggested otherwise.     I wish they'd done some chron or something when the removed them...something saying young capauleers train them first now before graduation day or something.  It's what made Capsuleers Demi-gods.   Who wants to RP a CPU made out of meat? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4