Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Characterizing the militias  (Read 2799 times)

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
Re: Characterizing the militias
« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2011, 21:51 »

Well, these militias were created by CONCORD, no? Under the "Emergency Militia War Powers Act"...does it mean that the four empires had a dormant act signed all along that would create a capsuleer militia in the "emergency event" of war?

I doubt it. At least in the case of the Caldari. They probably just used the STPRO since they were already in BR and kinda served that purpose anyway.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2011, 22:53 »

Well, these militias were created by CONCORD, no? Under the "Emergency Militia War Powers Act"...does it mean that the four empires had a dormant act signed all along that would create a capsuleer militia in the "emergency event" of war?

I doubt it. At least in the case of the Caldari. They probably just used the STPRO since they were already in BR and kinda served that purpose anyway.
For the Matari, there may have already existed a Tribal Liberation Force, especially as part of the Elder projects.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2011, 00:09 »

For the Matari, there may have already existed a Tribal Liberation Force, especially as part of the Elder projects.

Same for the 24th probably. The federation probably didn't or at least might not have, but they're the fed they could just randomly select a floatilla and say congratulations you guys are the FDU go here and do stuff.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2011, 07:24 »

It would make sense that the FDU is simply another addition to the Gallentean military, which would explain how it politically groups itself with the armed forces (who readily standoff against the government it seem) and is happy to make public statements criticizing the administration. The military in the Federation seems to act as a faction unto itself, particularly when it has battled with the Senate for years regarding funding and recruitment, etc. Moreover, the SDII was tasked with "hunting down corrupt military officials" according to the Black Eagles chron, so I bet there's these rogue admirals that take their fleet and carve an Evil Villain's Island in deadspace or some such.

Contrasted with the Caldari Navy which silently and obediently tows the line of the CEP and corporate consensus (who DOES order the Calnav around anyway?). STPRO being an extension of Patriot and/or Provist influence sounds about right. EMWPA likely just made the pre-existing resources into something official, reorganized into what it is today.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2011, 07:41 »

The Caldari Navy likely has its own command staff that calls the shots as allowed by their budget. I assume the CN can step in on its own initiative when certain criteria are fulfilled, or then any State corporations can call for CN's aid when another set of criteria is fulfilled (assuming they don't give the job to capsuleers).

The CN budget and likely the highest staff positions are decided by the CEP. There likely is a complex system how each meaningful command or other CN job gets filled so that a balance of power is kept between megas, even when the Navy is technically independent and neutral.

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2011, 00:59 »

I see the Gallentean and Caldari militias as being a lot more organized then the Minmatar and Amarr ones.

For the Caldari, the militia acts like the private army of the unified people, something that goes past corporate authority and such, and is thus directly controlled by the politicians. Its left with a lot of autonomy, but I could easily see the militia turning on a caldari corp if it strayed from the group.

For the Gallenteans, they're basically an extension of the Gallentean Military, a separate branch of it, a loose branch in a lot of senses, but still sort of military. They probably treat capsuleers as paramilitary contractors do take care of things they don't want to take credit for, and thus, they don't care who they're paying, as long as the work gets done.

The Amarrian militia is more like well, its a crusade. The 24th one. The Empress raised a flag, declared crusade, and is giving a rubber stamp and lots of resources to anyone willing to fight for the cause, and they're not too particular about who is fighting. Its really a lot like the Christian crusades, just transplanted into the eve universe. There's a lot of bad people in the 24th IC, but as long as they're doing Gods Work, its all right.

The minmatar militia, is probably the closest thing to a real militia. Its not terribly organized, its not full of nice people, their training is a very mixed bag, but these are desperate times, and the people must be rallied. If you can fight the Amarrians, anything else about you is overlooked.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2011, 07:36 »

In which case 90% of any of them are mere opportunists.

No bro, the percentages(at least for Amarr) are as follows:

75% Idle alts that sit in high sec and have never done anything with the actual militia.
20% Oppurtunists
  5% People that actually want Amarr to win

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that."

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:47 »

There is a portion of each militia which is just new players who were told to join it by the tutorial.  I know this because I've met quite a few who were unfortunate enough to be in space while I was running about Metropolis high sec.

They don't know anything about the militia or it's mechanics, and since they're still in infancy and not straying very far from the starter systems, they don't even realize there's anything different (except a new channel and some people appear as purple on their overview) until some bastard like me comes along and blows up their mining thrasher.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2011, 19:59 »

Some interesting numbers from EVE-Chruker...

FEDERAL DEFENCE UNION is 70% Federation Navy, 15% FIO and 15% Federation Customs.

TRIBAL LIBERATION FORCE is 70% Republic Fleet and 30% RSS

24TH IMPERIAL CRUSADE is 80% Imperial Navy, 20% Ministry of War

STATE PROTECTORATE is 100% Caldari Navy
Pages: 1 [2]