Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Notgame: Depression Quest  (Read 2975 times)

Iwan Terpalen

Notgame: Depression Quest
« on: 07 Mar 2013, 11:34 »

http://www.depressionquest.com/.

As the site says, "Depression Quest is an interactive fiction game where you play as someone living with depression. You are given a series of everyday life events and have to attempt to manage your illness, relationships, job, and possible treatment. This game aims to show other sufferers of depression that they are not alone in their feelings, and to illustrate to people who may not understand the illness the depths of what it can do to people."

This was my emotional gut punch for the day. Not much of a game, but very true to life in its descriptions and options.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
Re: Notgame: Depression Quest
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2013, 11:38 »

I considered playing this and then decided I did not need the trigger right now.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2013, 12:13 »

At first I was skeptical, then I tried it out, not having had much better things to do. I will head out and socialize with friends, now. I endorse this product.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2013, 03:51 »

Hmmm, seems terrible to me to make light of depression by creating it into a game. Unless it can be used as a learning tool to counselors and psychologists learning how to treat depression. I don't think it should be something that the wider public should "play."

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2013, 04:03 »

Try it.

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2013, 06:15 »

Lasa, playing this game isn't fun, if that's what you fear.

It's weel done, it's smart and sensible.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2013, 06:59 »

Mmmm. As someone with clinical depression, I'm still not amused....

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 08 Mar 2013, 07:34 »

Hmmm, seems terrible to me to make light of depression by creating it into a game. Unless it can be used as a learning tool to counselors and psychologists learning how to treat depression. I don't think it should be something that the wider public should "play."

Serious gaming.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #8 on: 08 Mar 2013, 07:46 »

If it helps bring understanding about depression who do not have it, I am for it.

If it helps to bring the tiniest smidge of hope to someone with depression, I am for it.

The only reason I'm not playing it is because I am actually in a relatively good mindset right now, and I don't need the trigger.  If I was in a bad place, I'd probably give it a shot, ironically.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #9 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:07 »

I think the "Quest" word has given you some negative preconceptions, Las. I checked it out, and it is done with class. It's more a tool to help people to understand how life with Depression can be like, and I think they've done a decent job. Even the music sort of hits hits spot on to create the atmosphere.

Tibs, I wouldn't recommend you to try this out right now if you're worried it'd set you, it could full well trigger things. The scenarios can hit very close to home at times.

EDIT:

Further down the line, it could give one encouragement to get treatment for their respective situation too. So it does bring understanding and hope to a degree.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 08:13 by Vincent Pryce »

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #10 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:18 »

Thanks for biting the bullet for me, Vince <3

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #11 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:39 »

In a way, that's good, because the aim of this thing certainly isn't to amuse or challenge the people playing it. It's designed to kick you right in the feels, show people a small smidge of what it's like to have a depressive episode, and not incidentally illustrate really viscerally how those bloody negative spirals work.

I've some professional interest in what it's trying to do, so if it failed to engage you -- would you mind trying to point out where the experience breaks down, exactly? If there's nothing specific, or the idea itself is just too repulsive, that's a valid explanation, too.

I think the "Quest" word has given you some negative preconceptions, Las.
Yeah, the title is a major /o\. My first association with "Quest" is "grindy, boring JRPG-derived junkpile." This is in many ways the exact opposite of that.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 09:21 by Iwan Terpalen »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 08 Mar 2013, 10:33 »

I had kind of the same concerns about it. Having given it a shot, those concerns have vanished. It's a good tool to allow people a peek into how clinical depression changes ones life.

P.S.: And yah, I think one should take the warnings the 'game' gives at the start seriously.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 08 Mar 2013, 10:48 »

Like fuck I'm playing this now.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #14 on: 06 Sep 2014, 01:54 »

this is the thing all this controversy is about, isn't it ?
\o/
Pages: [1] 2 3