Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Elastic Banned  (Read 1134 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Elastic Banned
« on: 02 Apr 2011, 17:16 »

I'm pretty big into being transparent and having some form of integrity (primarily, this ancient post back in September which I'd rather not reference and, more recently, my vlog EVE RP community habits), so I figured I'd bring it up here in order to speak out on level terms. I am "foot in mouth" with channel chat, but forum chat is a whole different ballgame (I hope at least :P)

Couple nights ago, I made a pretty silly comment in the "OOC" channel that ticked off a few people. It was brought up tonight in the channel, in the form of a warning, so I took the conversation into another, much smaller out-of-character channel. The fueled emotivism of the conversation in that channel didn't make a good case for either side, IMO, but it earned me a week-long mute in the main "OOC" channel regardless.

Now, I'm not 100% what to make of it all. On one hand, I agree with the complaints brought up by individuals regarding my own behaviour, but on the other hand, they refused offers by myself to watch my vlog, what I feel is a sort of "explanation" of how I see things and gauging if they wanted to see myself in a different light. Similarly on this other hand, I'm not convinced I should fully comply to the desires and complaints due to issues I brought up in my vlog (my low HTFU skill means I tend to take one charged remark against myself rather disproportionately).

Moreover, outside of the RP communities, there is no issue, because there's no IC/OOC bleedover or all the variables that come in with RPers from differing factions interacting with each other. A few weeks ago, I met a couple of outlaws in Intaki, not RPers, and they invited me to their channel, where I proceeded to get initiated into their little community. It goes to what I was saying about "perspective"; the complaints pushed on myself are arbitrarily universalized, which makes me insecure and respond as such. The whole concept of "me vs everyone" makes me hesitate, and wonder that if, alternatively, people are just oversensitive instead (as well as the idea of not having any "back up")

Anyway, as I've brought up in the vlog, I like to think I'm self-aware of such things. I'm just very resistant to caving in to the demands of another player if it's pushed in a very aggressive way, or if the situation ends up like, as I've said, a "me vs everyone" or being "ganked", particularly in a large channel like OOC. What do you think?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Elastic Banned
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2011, 17:58 »

[mod]On second thought I think you should discuss it directly and privately with whomever muted you in OOC or with friends who will give you an honest view of yourself. This thread will likely lead to additional drama; however, in the interests of transparency, I'll leave it open for now. But our trigger fingers will be ready to go at a moment's notice.[/mod]
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2011, 18:07 by Casiella »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Elastic Banned
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2011, 18:20 »

Okay, lets try again...

Seri, its not your character's fault, its not your RP's fault, its not your faction's fault. Its Your fault. And you need to realize that before you can make any progress in getting past this. The longer you try to pass the blame off onto your character, the worse its going to get for you. Your character isn't trolling OOC. You are. Your character isn't making a huge deal of things that shouldn't be a problem. You Are. Plenty of people get along with me OOCly that hate Nikita's guts IC. You can't blame IC actions for OOC consequences, which is what you constantly seem to be trying to do.

Advice:
1. Take responsibility from your actions. Realize what it is your doing that is irritating people and stop it.
2. Take further steps to disconnect yourself from your character. When someone mocks your character, you shouldn't feel the need to jump up and defend him OOC. You are not Seri, you are the player.
3. Honestly, see a psychologist, because you're lacking in some key socialization abilities.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.