Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You fly your ship from inside a pod, not from a bridge?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Patriot-Practical Establishment  (Read 2511 times)

V. Gesakaarin

Patriot-Practical Establishment
« on: 28 Jan 2014, 19:47 »

So an idea I've been cultivating for awhile is some sort of establishment for Patriot and Practical Caldari along the lines of the Mercantile Club: A swank corporate joint with expensive furniture where proper Caldari capsuleers can go to enjoy some social networking, discuss affairs, and partake in a bit of casual racism over cocktails about those barbarian foreigners that are stupid and have no real class.

The problem is that I'm thinking that it should run as some sort of exclusive country club -- you have a board of trustees and the like who help run the place and set policies like leaving your Minmatar at the door or whatever. Where you only get in if you know people who already know the secret handshakes.

So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone would be interested in being part of the initial board to promote some cross-corporate, back room dealing Caldari RP with cigars and brandy?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Patriot-Practical Establishment
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2014, 19:54 »

I assume you have only Caldari Patriots and Practicals in mind for the job? There are plenty of players who'd be interested in it, but don't play the relevant political faction for it.

To elaborate, I'm not sure how much traffic you would get if it's that exclusive. I mean, no more traffic than you'd get for, say, The Falcon's Rook (wrong name?). The more exclusive you are with your clientele, the less popular it is because of the small number of characters who qualify to visit. Even less would qualify to be on the board.

Of those that would, you probably already have close enough contact with them that you could just drop them a mail and offer it. People like Hamish, Dex, 4th District, and Pyre.

If that is your goal, then of course it's not a problem.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2014, 20:01 by Katrina Oniseki »

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:37 »

Damn bootjacks...

In all seriousness, good luck with this initiative. Sounds totes Caldari!
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:50 »

Colour me interested. 

AWEX-, Wolfraam 74 and Sanguine Unity have recently come together out of mutual RP interest to form the Monyusaiya Industry Trade Group.  The aim of this alliance is to form a coherent base for our ideas of the capsuleer perspective of Practical bloc politics and social values, but it is by no means the definitive word on the matter (nor will it ever be). 

As temporary Executor of MITG until we convene our first IC board meeting, I'd like to express our interest in this initiative.  Furthermore, I'd like to express our interest in weighing and measuring the interplay between Practical-Patriot and Practical-Liberal perspectives.  When we've figured out where we stand on that front, foreign policy is sure to be a discussion all its own. 

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2014, 04:35 »

I am rather interested in Caldari establishment, where attendance of foreigners is prohibited or strongly discouraged.
However, this format is alien to my character, and I doubt she would be happy to visit such establishment as was described (but can be done for some fun reactions).

The problem that I see, is that such rooms and types of executives to attend these gatherings were decimated during Heth's reign. Remaining establishments of this sort could remain underground, but fresh executives, who raised to their positions by meritocratic or pro-patriotic means, might simple consider these gatherings decadent.

These Caldari luxury establishments, on other hand, could act as dens to outcasts, that were dumped from the State during Heth's regime.

What I would like to see, is a minimalistic but neat and comfortable venture for new Caldari elite. Practicals, who work for profit and don't waste money on luxuries. And patriots, who prefer money to work in interests of Caldari nation as a whole. Clean and bright warboard-type meeting rooms, with obligatory military uniform or proper business suits... that would be just awesome!  :cube:

And really, from my personal perception, "brandy+cigar" approach sounds to me as an epitome of masculism. So, Im sorry if I was a bit... hostile  :roll:

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2014, 04:45 »

Well I assume that this is a free-captain capsuleer establishment, and therefore is hosted by and for individuals who hold (or state they hold) the stated values, rather than the actual rank and file of the higher corporate classes of mainstream Caldari society.  Therefore Heth's purge would have little effect on the demographic. 

As for anti-foreigner, that would definitely be interesting from my POV as the player of an Intaki immigrant - though I am sure my character will thrive even with an ethnically oriented culture at play. 

That isn't to say that I do not welcome your suggestions, Lithium, and if you feel you can attract an audience, a xenophobic, spartan representation of the Caldari would be pretty cool.  The State is a society of possibly trillions, on hundreds of worlds and orbitals.  More depth and breadth of cultural representation can only ever be a good thing.  Every faction, capsuleer alliance and other entity would benefit from such diverse representation. 

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2014, 05:22 »

I am rather interested in Caldari establishment, where attendance of foreigners is prohibited or strongly discouraged.
However, this format is alien to my character, and I doubt she would be happy to visit such establishment as was described (but can be done for some fun reactions).

The problem that I see, is that such rooms and types of executives to attend these gatherings were decimated during Heth's reign. Remaining establishments of this sort could remain underground, but fresh executives, who raised to their positions by meritocratic or pro-patriotic means, might simple consider these gatherings decadent.

These Caldari luxury establishments, on other hand, could act as dens to outcasts, that were dumped from the State during Heth's regime.

What I would like to see, is a minimalistic but neat and comfortable venture for new Caldari elite. Practicals, who work for profit and don't waste money on luxuries. And patriots, who prefer money to work in interests of Caldari nation as a whole. Clean and bright warboard-type meeting rooms, with obligatory military uniform or proper business suits... that would be just awesome!  :cube:

And really, from my personal perception, "brandy+cigar" approach sounds to me as an epitome of masculism. So, Im sorry if I was a bit... hostile  :roll:

Smoke and brandy is a term that has connotations of discussions and deals struck behind closed doors, and was not used in this context as being particularly gender specific. As such this is initiative intended to explore aspects of the Caldari pursuing their negotiations and deals in an atmosphere that is closed off to others and insular in nature pursued by those sharing similar interests in mutually advantageous business between themselves.

Although I'm not sure what this new Caldari elite is or which executives were decimated by Heth? As far as I can see the same Megacorp CEO's are in control that were there before him, and one of the main reasons he was overthrown from his position given the news articles was that he never did in fact fully get rid of the old management - not even in KK itself.

However if you want to wave the flag for the (Old)New Meritocracy then I don't think there's anything stopping you from doing so.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2014, 05:27 »

Well, I am sorry, just some keywords turn my imagination to a wrong direction  :lol:

In short, I am interested, just, well, how to say it better, I would prefer less luxury - more professionalism  ;)

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2014, 05:52 »

As for anti-foreigner, that would definitely be interesting from my POV as the player of an Intaki immigrant - though I am sure my character will thrive even with an ethnically oriented culture at play. 
Anti-foreigner implies more like people from different culture, rather than peoples of different ethnicity. Although, I agree, that will be slight discrimination towards people of different ethnicity, since they are visually associated with foreigners, and, obviously, will have to prove their "Caldarity" to the hosts, while traditional Caldari could be free from such procedure.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Caldari Here it is said, that Caldari are not xenophobic, but are very protective of their way of life and tolerate only those foreigners that stick to the rules. Remembering that old story, that Caldari executed Gallentean, who walked to temple with footwear on, I imagine to myself strict rules of Caldari etiquette, that we as players simply omit to play, because they are not defined, but we imply our characters follow them, and, naturally, foreign characters don't follow. It includes behavior, gestures, dressing manner, usage of honorific and general manner of speech. For example, Caldari host can be offended by certain types of expressive or revealing gallentean dresses, that are considered pretty much formal in Federation, or Amarrian cleric, hiding his face from host under the hood, or maybe Minmatar, who lacks certain detail of wardrobe, or wears too many trinkets. Amarrian holders, denying paying respect to hosts, too loud minmatars, and gallenteans, who believe that they are free to do and speak whatever they want, this all could be rather offending to Caldari.

On one hand, there should be open Caldari establishments, that Caldari hosts use to get more profits from foreigners, but on other hand, there should be "no-foreigner" policy ones as well, for those residents, who can't stand foreign "insults" to Caldari culture. Where in first ones it would be not polite to ask foreigners to follow Caldari traditions, while in second, a guest who neglects to follow set norms will be either asked to leave, or bring apologies and change behavior.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:28 »

I would certainly be interested in such a thing. It is definitely something Jace ICly would want to be involved in.

Shiki

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2014, 12:31 »

A bit off-topic, but thanks OP for leading me to some faction info which helps to develop Shiki's (admittedly weak) political views.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2014, 19:51 »

I assume you have only Caldari Patriots and Practicals in mind for the job? There are plenty of players who'd be interested in it, but don't play the relevant political faction for it.

To elaborate, I'm not sure how much traffic you would get if it's that exclusive. I mean, no more traffic than you'd get for, say, The Falcon's Rook (wrong name?). The more exclusive you are with your clientele, the less popular it is because of the small number of characters who qualify to visit. Even less would qualify to be on the board.

Of those that would, you probably already have close enough contact with them that you could just drop them a mail and offer it. People like Hamish, Dex, 4th District, and Pyre.

If that is your goal, then of course it's not a problem.

I just think collaborative Caldari RP is important, especially given that the Patriots and Practicals at present have the least CCP fiction support. As such this project is a recognition that the onus is on players to try and develop that aspect of the Caldari.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2014, 19:57 »

I don't think more bar channels where people talk about random stuff is what the Patriots and Practicals really need though. What they actually need is more news coverage and detailed PF articles about their inner workings.

But whatever works for you, VG.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2014, 21:24 »

There are channels... which a few of us run... but they are dormant and thus the bar is under-stocked.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2014, 22:21 »

I don't think more bar channels where people talk about random stuff is what the Patriots and Practicals really need though. What they actually need is more news coverage and detailed PF articles about their inner workings.

But whatever works for you, VG.

Oh no, this isn't about random small-talk far from it. This is very much the IC front-end for trying to create something more. I mean I had an interesting chat with Aelisha about Sukuuvestaa yesterday where we discussed how it might have formed by a series of corporate mergers out of private firms investing in Caldari colonies on the frontiers conducting terraforming and "building better worlds." Which then lead to further discussion about the preservation of Caldari cultural notions of social darwinism and the survivalist mindset. Which then led to a discussion about how the conceptions of Caldari corporate loyalties may have come into being when the only authority you really knew was the corporation you worked for that funded the development of the world you live on.

I think these sorts of discussions are important and it is an initiative such as this that hopefully will build rapport by bringing together those people interested in having them whether IC or OOC, in order to further explore the Caldari Patriot and Practical backgrounds and worldviews.
Pages: [1] 2