Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That cleaner bombs can remove small messes, including lingering aromas?(The Burning Life p 33)

Author Topic: FTDOV - the Ship Design and Tactics series.  (Read 1877 times)

Vikarion

FTDOV - the Ship Design and Tactics series.
« on: 25 Mar 2013, 13:44 »

Since there has been some interest in my IGS series on ship design philosophy of the four empires, I thought I'd let anyone who is interested know that the series is canceled. The primary reason for this is that the next two articles were to be about the Gallente and Caldari, and the event over CP pretty much blew half of what I said in each of those into very small, pointy pieces, which then embedded themselves in my will to rewrite the articles, draining it like thousands of mosquitoes. Uh, might have gotten carried away with that explanation, but you get the idea.

I was thinking of next doing some articles on specific ships and their design histories and variants, or possibly transitioning into doing an examination of Caldari corporations, but I'm somewhat inclined to concentrate any writing efforts on other settings or on areas of Eve where I won't have what I write end up making me look like a total idiot when CCP runs a live event or alters a mechanic. For the same reason, I've removed the earlier posts, largely because I don't want to have them quoted back at me later, or get requests for a continuation.

I hope this isn't too irritating. I just can't seem to get over a feeling of "eh, fuck it" about any more writing for Eve. Not that I don't keep most of what I conceived to myself anyway, which, given my current writing abilities, is probably for the best.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2013, 13:51 by Vikarion »

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
Re: FTDOV - the Ship Design and Tactics series.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2013, 14:56 »

I can understand the need to take a a break after something like what happened. Still it's a shame, the Amarr and Minmatar articles were some of the best IGS content we've had in recent times. Just because CCP does things that don't match the ideas you and your character put forth in those articles, doesn't mean you have to retcon your opinions to match.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2013, 15:10 »

Would you mind sending the completed four to me for my own collection of player written lore?

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2013, 17:39 »

Would you mind sending the completed four to me for my own collection of player written lore?

Yeah that. I really liked the two you did and was VERY MUCH looking forward to the one on the Caldari(and the Gallente too). If it's not a huge issue for you I'd like a copy of them as well. Provided you give em out of course.  :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2013, 07:45 »

Yeah that. I really liked the two you did and was VERY MUCH looking forward to the one on the Caldari(and the Gallente too). If it's not a huge issue for you I'd like a copy of them as well. Provided you give em out of course.  :D

I'd very much appreciate a copy of them too.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Vikarion

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2013, 10:45 »

Giving out copies would defeat the point of not continuing the series.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2013, 11:24 »

I thought the point was that you weren't continuing the series, because of "irritation" at CCP and the way it runs live events? Maybe people just want to read them because they're good writing, and they don't care about the fact that the articles you've written clash with what CCP says.

Vikarion

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2013, 18:40 »

I thought the point was that you weren't continuing the series, because of "irritation" at CCP and the way it runs live events? Maybe people just want to read them because they're good writing, and they don't care about the fact that the articles you've written clash with what CCP says.

While I must admit that I don't have a lot of motivation to contribute to the collection of Eve lore at this point, I don't think that such a lack of contribution would serve as any sort of incentive to CCP to change things.

I'm not posting them because, honestly, it's embarrassing. The articles are about ship design and tactics, which I spent hours writing and sourcing from Evelopedia, in-game descriptions, and etc. And the CP battle invalidated the entire Caldari article and most of the Gallente one. Virtually everything I described and argued was contradicted.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2013, 22:40 »

Then maybe you could add a section on how those doctrines that stayed in time are now being modified? It'd be a pity to not see those texts, I liked the ones you published a lot.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2013, 22:45 »

I think you're being a bit melodramatic about it, but I'll respect your decision to not release the materials. I enjoyed reading them, and I really looked forward to the last two.

Hope you can pull yourself out of this, Vik. You do good work.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #10 on: 01 Apr 2013, 16:10 »

That exactly. I give a fuckall about what CCP says, and despite curent PF still play my Caldari as the old type of Caldari back from when I started. I wanted to read em cause I like your work and you as an RPer. That and I never quite finished either one of the two you did publish (I always got called away on this or that). I'll respect your wished if you don't want to  send em, but it's a damn shame tbh. From what I have seen you do it better than CCP has and it's their damn game.  :cube:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 01 Apr 2013, 18:22 »

That exactly. I give a fuckall about what CCP says, and despite curent PF still play my Caldari as the old type of Caldari back from when I started. I wanted to read em cause I like your work and you as an RPer. That and I never quite finished either one of the two you did publish (I always got called away on this or that). I'll respect your wished if you don't want to  send em, but it's a damn shame tbh. From what I have seen you do it better than CCP has and it's their damn game.  :cube:

This.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!