Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kiaor was a notable Minmatar historical figure attributed with saying, "Those whom you hate so fervently, you must have once loved so deeply."

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Life Need Advise  (Read 2801 times)

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
Re: Life Need Advise
« Reply #15 on: 08 Feb 2011, 03:52 »

I basically agree with people who say you have to find something to live for, maybe think about therapy, everyone's free, school is not everything, etc. I also agree with whomever it was that said that you obviously do care about your father, and it might be best to not try and deny it.

The 15 years younger version me would advice exploring, finding something that really excites you, enjoy LIFE, etc.

I still advice finishing school, be it online or in one. Having that diploma will open so many avenues that the exploring, finding yourself, etc, will become easier. It will also give you the confidence that you can finish that sort of stuff, again making the same easier. I also still think that the specific reasons for why you were kicked out actually would matter quite a lot for giving more advice (feel free to PM me if you do not want to discuss it in public).

One thing on that: if it was in any way related to neglecting schoolwork because of EVE, close your accounts and do it now. And do not resub or subscribe to another MMOG before summer holidays. EVE is a highly effective attention grabber and subjecting yourself to it when you have actual life goals to tackle is not something I recommend to anyone.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2011, 03:54 by Elsebeth Rhiannon »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 08 Feb 2011, 04:13 »

It can be a soul shaking experience to have someone who will really listen to what you're saying, and it can be a powerful force in you coming to grips with what you are feeling and what you are going through.
Thats what friends are for.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Major JSilva

« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2011, 03:06 »

Im stopping with this online course I can't do it anymore and probalilily letting my eve subs run out or something. I don't everythings just confusing right now. I'l see you all around some time.

Crucifire

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2011, 15:30 »

I was in a similar situation but left high school of my own volition. Take my advice with a grain of salt as I definitely struggle with my own motivation issues, but I dropped out in Grade 11 because I was just sick of it, sick of teachers and sick of other students, and this is from my own little experiences and feelings on your situation.

Get a job. Right away. I'm sure you're good at something even if you aren't aware of it yet. Find out what you are good at, what you like doing, and then make getting a job doing that your goal. Get a job doing anything in the meantime. When you are old enough to challenge the GED examinations (assuming you live in north america and are under 18) then DO IT.

Upon peacing out from school, I was lucky enough to land a job doing helpline support for Roadrunner Cable, being a big computer dork it ended up being something I was good at and I was able to demonstrate this to them during the interview, landing me the job despite the lack of high school education. Upon turning 18 I challenged the GED exams (and passed with flying colors, let me tell you they are easy),  few years later and several various jobs later I now I am planning on going back to school next Sept for Digital Art & Design. Having the GED will allow me to slide right in and it's something I am passionate about as well, so I feel like I missed out on nothing having ditched school*.

Hang in there and keep yourself busy. Now's the time to start compensating work experience for lack of education on your resume, something that seems like a big hurdle but is ultimately just a bump in the road.

(*I showed up to my class' grad ceremony with two dates as a big "fuck you" to people I didn't like, so that helped....)
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2011, 01:39 by Crucifire »

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2011, 16:04 »

I'm going through one of the most intensive university programs I've ever taken, and my own internal stressors are adding to the difficulty. So, I dropped my EVE subscription, and now I'm studying an extra hour a day for it. I would speak with a psychologist, more like a life coach, and try to get a better picture and way of managing your problems. Everyone has some sort of therapy, be it professional, spiritual, or social, during one point in their life.

And in the words of one of my favorite comedians:

"Nobody ever gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." — Conan O'Brien

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2011, 18:00 »

Silva, first of all, good luck.

Second, either finish high school or get a GED or local equivalent.  Unfortunately "do you want fries with that" is about as high as you can get without high school level education in most places.  And community college/tech schools will accept GEDs, and you can get a fair paying job out of those.  Getting kicked out, depending on the reason, I wouldn't worry too much about, schools these days more or less kick you out for being a teenager.  While I would recommend not doing anything stupid at all, at least don't do anything stupid on school grounds.  What they don't see won't get you kicked out if you go back in.

A job could help, I might try a temp agency if you're of the right age (17 I think it was for me, but I think it varries by state and probably country).  Light industrial was the code for mostly unskilled labor when I was in it, and if you're willing to put up with crazy hours and strange jobs you can make some good money.  The military might be an option, however I will say this, you will likely be in the infantry, and people in the infantry die.  A lot.  With the amount of political unrest in the world and how many countries are engaging in war (declared or otherwise) if I were you, I would think really hard about joining the military. 

And if you can, talk with your mom about what is bothering you.  She might not be able to help, but she can at least listen and sometimes that helps. 
Pages: 1 [2]