Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the cocktail "Wild Rose" is created by Vincent Pryce and it is named after Ciarente Roth?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any point to playing Seri?  (Read 3944 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: Any point to playing Seri?
« Reply #15 on: 03 Sep 2013, 06:36 »

No, I just think that most in this community can't make up their minds, they want their cake and eat it, sugarcoated with a lot of IC/OOC bleedover.
That old issue never appears to go away and it is certainly not limited to this incident. But, it is also a discussion for another thread.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Gesakaarin

« Reply #16 on: 03 Sep 2013, 06:40 »

Thing is, if you recognize Seriphyn is not a, "Get along with everyone" type of character persona then why bemoan that fact as a player? I mean I've had conversations OOC with you at a level that I think was courteous but in the end the fact remains that when I'm playing with a character persona then interactions will go from there and if my characters have reason to be hostile or disparaging towards Seriphyn Inhonores as a character (Which they might) then they will do so. I will however try and make distinctions as best I can between the character and the player.

Sometimes I guess that failure to make distinctions between character persona and the player combined with how invested some players can seem to be in their characters is what seems to raise so many issues to me. I've enjoyed interacting with certain characters but loathed their players and I've loathed interacting with certain characters but loved chatting to their players. However it feels too often to me that so many characters are just direct extensions of their players. To the point that when you're thinking and acting along the lines, "Well I've got good reason for my character to be a dick to this character" the other party responds in a manner along the lines of, "Why is this other person being such a dick to me?"

I don't think that's ever going to change so if you're looking for advice then accept that if you enjoy playing your character the way they are then continue doing so. Just as much as you have to accept that some people take RP very seriously, get deeply emotionally invested in it, and won't be able to make distinctions between a fictional persona and the player/actor behind it. There's nothing wrong to me if such people get upset beyond the Fourth Wall by your own character because they took make-believe RP seriously.

That, and you're never going to please everyone, so why bother trying?

Anslol

« Reply #17 on: 03 Sep 2013, 07:36 »

I see characters that are alts that by default lack the same sort of depth as a main, and they still get more RP interest than Seri. What's the point?

I dunno, what is the point of playing Seriphyn as you play him?

We have all told you numerous times why Seriphyn the character is rejected wholesale from large sections of the community. Because he acts like a womanizing douchebag

Yet so is Anslo to an extent but he gets nowhere near as much shit, especially with all this OOC crap seeping everywhere.

@Seri. Plow through and do as you please. Ignore the haters and find the people that actually give a damn. Don't bother trying to befriend people who made negative opinions of you from the words of another person. Hell, or anyone who have negative opinions of you. It's not worth the time.

You wanna do something? Find those who care about you and talk to you, and stick with them. Rebuild from there, stack up a new reputation, and make it so that no one can say a damn thing to you because you have more than enough action and credibility to back you. It's tough, it's long, it's arduous.

It's worth it.

EDIT: Also +1 to Vince, Aelisha, and Lyn. Even the mods are coming in and bashing the guy. Yeah, he made mistakes. Yeah, he can be a douche. But just outright shit talking him and throwing out the rules because :seriphyn:? You fucking kidding me?

The hell is wrong with you people? Suck it up and ignore him if you don't like him. Character development is meant for constructive criticism, isn't it? Most of this shit here? Not constructive.

Get over it people, Jesus Christ.
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2013, 07:43 by Anslol »

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #18 on: 03 Sep 2013, 08:00 »

Why complaining when a "character like that" eventually arrives when it is what is supposedly expected and lacking ? Because it's not done "right" ? Ah, I got it, it's that he is doing it wrong then ?
Nope.  The negative reaction Seri's gotten here has less to do with his RP and how he's doing it and much, much more to do with how he cries for attention OOC by whining about the negative response his character gets from other characters.

I will use myself for comparison:

I am an alright dude.
Seri-mun is probably an alright dude.

I play a terrible prick of a character who has had some pretty damn good non-prick RP with a very few interesting characters (like Aria Jenneth, Merdeneth, Louella Dougans, Cer'ana, etc. - notice two of those, arguably a third, are quite naturally enemies of my character).
Seri-mun plays a character that many regard as a prick for one reason or another (egotism, womanizing, etc.) who has had some pretty damn good non-prick RP with an indeterminate but apparently small number of characters as shown by those characters' players' testimonials in Seri's numerous "attention" threads.

I know going into all of my RP interactions, ingame or on the IGS that Havohej is not going to be well received IC and that quite probably there will be many players who don't do the IC/OOC Divide thing very well and who will thus dislike me OOCly as much as they dislike Havohej.
Seri-mun says he knows that his character isn't the sort everyone will get along with, he has been RPing in this game AND active in its OOC community long enough to also know that many Eve RPers are terrible at keeping OOC and IC separated and, since he's never been accused of stupidity, it stands to reason that he must also know that this means some people are going to dislike him OOC because of his character's actions and behaviours.  (I will reiterate for the sake of thoroughness that my dislike of Seri-mun has nothing to do with his character or how he plays it; I've only ever interacted with him on the IGS and once, ingame, when Havo entered a room in which he was talking to one of Havo's employees in Du'uma Fiisi and Seriphyn immediately left rather than face a confrontation with his recent IGS antagonist.  Nothing against the character on an OOC level, but yeah... Havohej the character really does hate just about everybody - including Cer'ana and Merdaneth... his jury's out on Louella and he actually liked Aria Jenneth and wonders what became of her from time to time - but I digress).

I accept all of the above.
Seri-mun whinges about it incessantly, often casting aspersions of his own at other players whilst doing so.

Truth be told, I could nuke the entire thread just on the strength of the OP and its wholesale YDIW to the Community at Large: "I put so much effort into playing Seriphyn, but all of you mean people/bad roleplayers choose to RP with stupid alts, which can't have the same depth as a main, instead of me!"  This insults not only hundreds of players on this very forum, some of whom have posted right here in this thread in support of Seri-mun (irony), but is a "YDIW" applied indiscriminately to thousands of characters.

When people say this about this particular player, they are not exaggerating, they are not unfairly picking on him, they are not forming up in cliques to dogpile a member of an enemy clique (shit, I've never RPed with any of the other posters in this thread and Morwen and I talk in the ingame Backstage Staff channel maybe once in a fortnight).  They are stating fact which can be stated in no more diplomatic way and thus has largely gone unstated on this forum.  Well, I've watched this nonsensical behaviour for way too long.  I go away for 3 years, come back, and nothing's changed.  Same old Seri-mun, not getting his way in Eve RP and in turn doing the most dramatic thing he can and hoping it gains him more acceptance/fixes his reputation, but instead of waiting to see the organic results he just can't resist attention whoring.

I've watched other players behave this way... I've also watched them eventually "get the picture" and figure out the best way for them to interact with a community bigger than themselves (Note: I do not say that they figured out how to get more people to like them, I say they figured out how to interact with the community/culture of the game in a way that does not upset them/impede their enjoyment OOCly).

Just as much as you have to accept that some people take RP very seriously, get deeply emotionally invested in it, and won't be able to make distinctions between a fictional persona and the player/actor behind it. There's nothing wrong to me if such people get upset beyond the Fourth Wall by your own character because they took make-believe RP seriously.
Lots of irony in this thread.  The irony in your post is that Seri-mun is actually just the type of player you are warning him of.  Deeply emotionally invested, has trouble making distinctions between people not liking him IC or OOC vs. liking him OOC or IC and gets upset beyond the fourth wall because of taking make-believe RP seriously.  Go through his posting history... or if you don't feel like putting forth the effort, just look at this thread and the one he started a little while back when he first did the whole "Seri's dead" RP 'event' on the IGS.

Now yeah, Backstage has some pretty strict rules.  As it should.  But you know what?  When I see someone come in front of an internet forum and ask people what they think of him and/or why they view him and/or his character in a negative light IC and OOC sooooo many times, fishing for people to say nice things about him OR his character (which, given his habit of taking negative things about his character personally OOC, it's probably just as well for him whether a compliment is in regards to his character or himself).

Character development is meant for constructive criticism, isn't it? Most of this shit here? Not constructive
I apply the above to your own post.  You see, after literally years of watching this same player pull these same OOC self-pity stunts over shit that happened to his character IC, all that stuff you said about "Oh, just find people who like you (is this how the echo chamber thing that everyone complains about/criticizes happens?) and stick with them" and "Oh, if they don't like you they're not worth your time", none of that rubbish is constructive for him.  He's been told the same every single time he makes one of these threads, and by many of the same people.  Obviously he's not constructing anything with this advice.  Because nobody is making the criticism.  Because the criticism is of the person himself: that he is too emotional about the whole damned thing and cannot separate IC from OOC, therefor he takes every little negative IC thing and internalizes it OOC until he just can't take it anymore when none of it should ever be taken seriously anyway.  Pointing out this negative trait/tendency and advising that he work on it seems quite the constructive criticism to me given that the alternatives have been seen to go in one ear and out the other... in fact, the alternatives are only enabling and encouraging the behaviour that I've criticized.

As far as advice goes, the best advice he's been given here (other than to stop taking shit so personal/emotional) was where Aelisha said to "Stop doing this to yourself, Seri".

EDIT: And yes, the whole thread is terrible in terms of Backstage's rules, including the OP itself which I pointed out, and it will be Catacombed.  However, having posted in it, I've a conflict of interest, so I'm not moderating shit.  Here's hoping that maybe actually having the criticism part of "constructive criticism" applied unflinchingly will help Seri-mun to see that it's not him or his character that needs to change, nor is it everyone else and everyone else's characters, but merely his OOC reaction to everyone else and their characters. vOv
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2013, 08:04 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #19 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:12 »

I've been far too overwhelmed by the level of vitriol in this thread to give any of the posts a proper read, bar the ones in my defence, because lord knows I could do with that in face of the potency of the venomous comments here.

We've seen attention grab threads on Backstage before, but never have I seen a response like this. In fact, most of the time it was sympathetic, particularly if it was a female character and/or player that was posting, or simply anyone without the baggage. All of this comes from private drama, too, for never once have I criticized or berated individual players in OOC as many of you have done at some point.

I don't really get the womanizing thing either, considering 90% of the RP community e-fuck each other on a regular basis. One character has a 12 inch tongue for god's sake. We all know what that's for.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:25 »

So that's "Seri-mun" now ? Can I get my derogative pet name too ?

Anyway havo, you missed my point completely.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #21 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:26 »

So that's "Seri-mun" now ? Can I get my derogative pet name too ?

Anyway havo, you missed my point completely. Not defending Seri on that aspect at all.

You know what ? It's a war between the Summit/OOC echo chamber and satellite members. Again.

What does that suffix even mean?

EDIT: For the uninitiated http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mun

Anslol

« Reply #22 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:30 »

So basically it's nothing but YDIW for Seri. I'm not saying Seri is flawless. But this crap? This thread? Everyone jumping on him and YDIW'ing as opposed to giving something more substantial?

And it not being catacombed?? What the hell, man?

Also the constructive bit went out the door with that passive aggressive -mun crap.

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #23 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:40 »

From that link Ael gave, Seri-mun is basically the same as saying Seri(p) to denote that Havo is talking about the player rather than character. Not sure what is derogatory about that.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #24 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:42 »

So basically it's nothing but YDIW for Seri. I'm not saying Seri is flawless. But this crap? This thread? Everyone jumping on him and YDIW'ing as opposed to giving something more substantial?
You're not paying attention.  Re-read my last post re: the YDIW accusation.  I'm not YDIW'ing him or his RP.  I don't give a fuck what he does with his character.  I'm "Learn not to think that people not liking your character means there's a vast conspiracy against you and find a better, more realistic way to bolster your real-life self-esteem than trying to cultivate the good opinion of people playing an internet video game while at the same time playing a character whose actions you know will be poorly received by most"ing him.

And it not being catacombed?? What the hell, man?
Nobody's got around to it yet.  And as I said, I won't because I've posted here, so... :conflictofinterest:

Also the constructive bit went out the door with that passive aggressive -mun crap.
For fuck's sake, Anslol, read the post RIGHT BEFORE YOURS where the definition of the suffix -mun is explained.  It's old-school RP, back from the 90's, RPing in America Online chatrooms (for me, anyway... the term's existed since well before that).

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #25 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:49 »

My apologies for the -mun thing. It sounds like a negative pet name, and it was used in a specific way that I havent seen anywhere else (only here) and I didnt think it was actually a slang word at all, just... a pet name of sorts.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #26 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:50 »

Truth be told, I could nuke the entire thread just on the strength of the OP and its wholesale YDIW to the Community at Large: "I put so much effort into playing Seriphyn, but all of you mean people/bad roleplayers choose to RP with stupid alts, which can't have the same depth as a main, instead of me!"  This insults not only hundreds of players on this very forum, some of whom have posted right here in this thread in support of Seri-mun (irony), but is a "YDIW" applied indiscriminately to thousands of characters.

I wasn't going to touch this thread with a ten-foot pole (because I recognize that shit can stink more if it gets stirred up), but damn, man, you're right.  As someone who has had a number of alts, all of whom I like to think I created to have some depth to them, I probably should be offended.

But I'm not, because his opinion on my characters does not impact the way I play this game. 

Look, Seri, I don't understand either why some characters are loved and some aren't.  There are some out there who make my teeth grind, others whom I like a great deal, and quite a few who I believe are underappreciated. The same goes for players.  There are folks out there who play characters whom I could watch all damn day, but I can't stand to be around them OOCly, and people whose OOC company I enjoy even if I don't appreciate their characters.

By the same token, I imagine other players may have similar perspectives on me and my characters, if they even think about me/them at all.

I stressed that last bit for a reason.  From my perspective, your problems may stem from your wanting to be noticed, and your being frustrated that there seems to be nothing you can do in order to ensure that your characters receive a constant stream of positive attention. 

Go find the people who like your characters.  Go build something great with them.  Don't worry about the rest of the sandbox.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #27 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:54 »

I've been far too overwhelmed by the level of vitriol in this thread to give any of the posts a proper read, bar the ones in my defence, because lord knows I could do with that in face of the potency of the venomous comments here.

We've seen attention grab threads on Backstage before, but never have I seen a response like this. In fact, most of the time it was sympathetic, particularly if it was a female character and/or player that was posting, or simply anyone without the baggage. All of this comes from private drama, too, for never once have I criticized or berated individual players in OOC as many of you have done at some point.

I don't really get the womanizing thing either, considering 90% of the RP community e-fuck each other on a regular basis. One character has a 12 inch tongue for god's sake. We all know what that's for.

First, I was going to say that despite everything, I give everyone a chance to prove their worth to me. Yes, I have been given warnings about various characters and players in EVE and I do listen. However, I am a person who likes the think the best of people and I also don't go digging for dirt. Also, my first interactions with Seri IC went well for the most part with perhaps a hint of awkwardness, but I chalked that up to two new people trying to find a common ground. This interaction was before I had been told about Seri's reputation.

So, IC, a couple of people warned Steff about their past experiences with Seri. Steff listened to it IC and at the time could not match what they were saying to her own experience. So, yes, now she had some other opinions about Seri, but till proven otherwise, she was/is willing to give Seri a chance.

However, and I really don't care if this gets me a temp ban from Backstage or what, but you sir are a piece of work. You really are. You sit there on your supposed high horse claiming innocence when in fact you are anything but. You bitch and moan about stuff happening in game when you know full well why. We all make mistakes and I'm dealing with the consequences of some of the decisions I've made IC in the game, but you don't hear me bitching and complaining that people are treating me differently. Fucking own up to your own shit-pile before you even start making disparaging claims against or towards other players.

Some of the earlier posts, though critical of your character, are insightful and some are probably out of frustration and seeing the same thing over and over again.

Truth be told, I found aspects of Seri to be quite interesting despite the IC/OOC stuff I have come across. And in most cases, even against my better judgment, Steff currently has no real reason to actual put Seri off. That said, you do have a strongly negative reputation that works against you. Either clean it up through actions and interactions or live with it. You've made your current bed...don't like it, change the fucking sheets.

I recognize the fact that this post is not linear in thought progression, but I don't do linear in certain circumstances and I find it difficult to get a point across without violating trust and privacy. So, my advice to you, do some serious reflecting upon the character and what you want to do about the reputation you have built by your own actions.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #28 on: 03 Sep 2013, 09:58 »

And a dedicated reply post just for you, Seri.

We've seen attention grab threads on Backstage before, but never have I seen a response like this. In fact, most of the time it was sympathetic, particularly if it was a female character and/or player that was posting, or simply anyone without the baggage.
Yes, we have.  Typically one single attention thread from each individual who has a moment of needing to do so.  In my eyes, none of them are any prettier than yours at the end of the day, all are quite unfortunate, but there is one key difference here: "Typically one single attention thread from each individual" vs. "Your bi-annual installment."  By comparison, mate, you pretty much do this sort of thing all the time.  Like I said in an earlier post, I pretty much ignore it most of the time, glance through to make sure everything's staying chill in the thread, maybe comment on it in the Mods' board or in the ingame channel and make a point of just not looking at it anymore.

This morning's installment just happened to find me poorly equipped to ignore... well, anything.  And you DID come right out and ask for opinions here on whether there was any point to playing your character.  I maintain that if you're going to continue seeking validation vicariously through his fictional interactions with fictional people and the subsequent opinions that all of the MUNS have of you as a real-life person... then no.  There is no point.  All that will come of it is more of you going through this... whatever this is that you've been going through all this time.  Given that you continue going through it, I can't imagine it is fun or otherwise enjoyable.

And this is a fine example, by the way, of your casting aspersions on other players, which I also mentioned before in an earlier post.

Twitter

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #29 on: 03 Sep 2013, 10:00 »

This is exactly the kind of thing that Havo was talking about when he said you cast aspersions of your own towards others when you post threads like this (hey look, he snuck it in before I did). If these numbers were true, then it'd mean the RP community is a hell of a lot larger than anyone thought. On the size of a medium to large alliance.

But it also begs the question: Why should you care what other people do between themselves, in private, on their own time? Is this about you deciding whether it's worth continuing with Seriphyn or not, or is it about you being jealous of other players who are able to, if they feel like it, have access to ERP when you can't?

Anslo: I didn't know that criticism had to be coated in honey to be considered constructive instead of YDIW. (Newsflash: it doesn't, get over it.) He started the thread and asked for honesty. He got what he asked us to give him. If he wasn't going to like the response that, by now, he should have expected, he should not have literally asked for it.

I wasn't saying YDIW regarding his RP at all. If anything, I was saying he was at least doing the RP right, and that it is his reaction, as a player, to the reactions of other characters towards his RP, that needs adjusting.

And what Havo said about conflict of interest. We've posted, we're not going to mod in this thread unless people start slinging racial slurs or the like. Seriously, if moderators weren't allowed to participate in any thread they might have an opinion on, nobody would do it because they'd never be able to post.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3