EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > Player Driven Content

Datapad and Terminal

<< < (2/3) > >>

Silas Vitalia:

--- Quote from: Teinyhr on 07 Nov 2018, 02:57 --- maybe you could invent something like a dataspike or somekind of one-use breaching device that fries circuits or whatnot.

--- End quote ---

I like that a lot.

I think I'd use the terminology, "She used her datapad to hack the terminal that controlled the doorway" or something to that effect.

Eve is a world of quantum entangled computers operating across lightyears and rather fancy wifi :P but I like the idea of having a physical, specialized object to do dirty work. 

Actually I'm recalling one of Verone's chronicles during the Caldari Prime event, iirc a capusleer in the flesh was operating on the surface, and pulled out an access tentacle from their suit or something not unlike Ghost in the Shell, to breach some security.

Bataav:
Datapads have a page on the fiction portal, in case that's of any use.

Mizhir:
I am really wondering why our characters still have a datapad/terminal. Why not just use implants? We can control spaceships with our minds, surely it must be possible to add somethign that projects a hud to your retina, tracks your eyemovement, and can let you directly input words.

Mizhara:

--- Quote from: Mizhir on 08 Nov 2018, 10:01 ---I am really wondering why our characters still have a datapad/terminal. Why not just use implants? We can control spaceships with our minds, surely it must be possible to add somethign that projects a hud to your retina, tracks your eyemovement, and can let you directly input words.

--- End quote ---

Airgaps. Miz at least is very careful about any kind of wireless access to any hardware in/on her clone. Her mind/infomorph is the only thing she can't instantly replace if fuckered, so unless she has to through the pod, she's not interfacing fuck all with hardware/wetware connected to her brain if she can help it. The exact tech specs of her datapads vary depending on system security. Simple systems like temperature/light control etc in her areas are sufficiently low security that she controls it with gestures/subvocals, while devices potentially accessing opsec information are both vastly more secure in terms of verification required, as well as being as basic as possible in I/O in order to make it easier to safeguard, etc.

... but yes, this is another field where real life has vastly surpassed sci-fi in the short timespan since the setting was first imagined. Just roll with it and update as and when possible.

Nissui:
Pure Speculation™: I wonder if that was a wrinkle the Jove had already ironed out long before disclosing the pod specs to the Caldari. Could be that the neural harness that's implanted in a capsuleer doesn't have the architecture to handle any superfluous signals, in order to avoid all kinds of unwanted hijinks. Only the patented hardwirings fabricated to those wetware specs can interface with the pilot's nervous system, or some such.

Another potential issue may be the heat generated by processing neural signals in real-time to a binary control device with cybernetic I/O. When piloting, the pod could do the processing and all the cabling we see merely carries the signal. Putting the processor in the brain might cook it, or the metamaterials necessary to operate at a lower temp could be unstable in the medium of human tissues. Putting the processor in the handheld device means an enormous wireless through-put (based mainly on the magnitude of wired connection in the pod) that raises signal strength and security concerns.

Just spitballing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version