EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > Player Driven Content

Datapad and Terminal

(1/3) > >>

palisairuta:
While reading the Testament Chronicle I noticed that they use the term Datapad and Terminal. I understood the differences in that the datapad was a little like a tablet in that it was a device where you consumed content with the ability to perform transactions etc. The terminal I imagined to be more like an input orientated device like a laptop. But in Testament, they use the term 'hand terminal'.
My character has made his way to a part of the station and now needs to break into a particular dock via a recycling shaft, he pulls out his ('terminal' or 'datapad'?) to connect directly to the maitenance port ....
So basically he is using a device to break into comms structures and hack his way to the docks.
I am leaning more to use a 'Terminal' than datapad?
Your thoughts?
Palis
o7

Teinyhr:
Off the top of my head, datapad feels like an USB memory stick with its own display and file reader. Terminal feels more like something you actually interact with, yes. But as hacking isn't to my knowledge a realy fleshed out area in the lore, maybe you could invent something like a dataspike or somekind of one-use breaching device that fries circuits or whatnot.

Samira Kernher:
Because this is sci-fi, and sci-fi shouldn't be more primitive than RL, I tend to write datapads as combination mobile phone, tablet, and laptop. They're as small as a mobile phone and can fit in your pocket, but can extend or holographically project a bigger display and keyboard to use it like a tablet or laptop. (like stuff in Mass Effect)

That's just my personal take on things, though, not something I can backup with canon.

For hacking, you could plug your datapad in, yes. Or use a dataspike. Or go full cyberpunk and connect yourself through wires connecting to your own cybernetic implants.

Nissui:
Terminal is something I'd normally use as a catch-all for a dedicated connection to a single system, typically a remote one, but as you found that's not how the rest of Eve will necessarily read it.

So, I almost always go with datapad, which I generally treat like a smartphone, and have used in all the manners Samira described below in both roleplay and fiction.

--- Quote from: Samira Kernher on 07 Nov 2018, 04:51 ---For hacking, you could plug your datapad in, yes. Or use a dataspike. Or go full cyberpunk and connect yourself through wires connecting to your own cybernetic implants.

--- End quote ---

Mizhara:
What Stutzer said. 'Terminal' has a meaning. To me, it's an interface allowing access to say, a Station Main Computer or the Ship Main Computer etc etc etc. If you're futzing on a terminal, you're just interfacing with some central system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version