Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Jove Empire is isolated from the rest of the world to all but a selected few? read more here.

Author Topic: Memory  (Read 1055 times)

Tiberius Wenchel

• Media Mogul
  • Clonejack
  • soi soi soi
    • Redshift Media on Youtube
Memory
« on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:34 »

I'm bored at work, so I decided to pound out another (very) short story. I might continue this at some point if people want to read it. I might even continue it even if people don't want to read it. Still, feedback is appreciated as always.

Memory

What little moonlight passed through the narrow mouth of the cave was diffused by dark, pungent smoke. Near the rear of the cavern, a dull orange glow pulsed rhythmically from a lone clay brazier, illuminating the weathered features of the old Idama. His wide nostrils, like twin grottos set into the sharp crag of his nose, flared to inhale the smoke. He grimaced. The aroma of the chakruti vine was no pleasant experience, but its gifts were well worth the discomfort. As he exhaled, the Idama felt the doorway of his true mind creak open.

His were the old ways, as they had always been. Though the Intaki homeworld had been forever changed by the arrival of Gallente technology, its history could never be unwritten. The true mind of the Idama was a vessel for the memories of his people, just as the ageless cavern in which he now sat was a vessel for the ancient rituals of reflection. As his breath grew deeper and slower, the Idama sank deeper into the realm of his long memory.

The chakruti ritual had long been an integral part of the path; a way for Idama to call up the memories of past lives lived. Gallente technology offered new means of recording such things, new ways of remembering, but the old ways were ever the best ways. No machine could ever reach that dark and secret place the old man now sought. He looked not into the memories of other lives, as was the way of most Idama, but into that lightless vacuum between lives. The Idama Ragunda Jat sought the void, and though he had but little notion of its strange sentience, the void sought him in turn.

The same strange power that echoed in the spaces between the stars pulsed behind the old man’s tightly shut eyes, beating like a drum in time with his heart. Even the dull orange light from the brazier joined in that strange rhythm, flickering as though in fear of the coming darkness. The wind gusted across the mouth of the cave, playing a deep, even note that seemed, like everything else, to echo in time with the pulse of the encroaching void.

With a small start, hardly noticeable in the dim smoky light of the cave, Ragunda Jat tensed. In the depths of his true mind the darkness had bloomed, and much to his surprise it was speaking to him. There were no words at first, only a low buzz like the call of some alien insect, but he somehow knew it to be language. Slowly, the buzzing took shape into something the Idama could understand. “Etherium Reach,” it buzzed, the words echoing in time with the all encompassing pulse of the void.

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
Re: Memory
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2011, 16:19 »

I like.  Write more.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2011, 14:15 »

Nice

Vieve

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2011, 17:37 »

What, you're not done with the next section yet?

Slacker.

(No, seriously ... where's the rest of it?)

Tiberius Wenchel

• Media Mogul
  • Clonejack
  • soi soi soi
    • Redshift Media on Youtube
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2011, 12:41 »

(It's late, but it's here: the long awaited second installment. More to come. Thanks for the encouragement, folks.)

Memory II

Ragunda Jat felt the metal floor throb rhythmically beneath his slippered feet. Artificial light bathed his wrinkled face, deepening the shadowed lines of his frown and tinting his dark skin a sickly blue. With one shaking hand, he reached out to touch the cold metal wall of the corridor. The old Idama was out in the vastness of space for the first time in his many lives, yet he had never felt so claustrophobic.

"Etherium Reach."

The name still buzzed in his mind, hiding beneath his more immediate thoughts like some patient ambush predator. It was a place, he now knew, a distant and dangerous corner of the cluster. It was home to pirates, bloodthirsty capsuleers and drones that had developed minds of their own. It was home to the whispering, buzzing voice of the void; and though he had never been there, he thought that it was his home now as well.

"Etherium Reach."

The PRV Kalki was a Gallente battlecruiser, Myrmidon class. It was a vessel designed for war, but it had been re-outfitted for a research expedition into the drone regions. The captain himself, an Intaki capsuleer, had come down to the planet's surface to put out the call for crew.

"Etherium Reach."

Ragunda Jat was drawn to the ship like a moth to flame. He had no experience crewing ships. He had no skills to offer, or so he thought, but the capsuleer had smiled broadly at him when he approached. "Idama," he had said, bowing his head respectfully, "this is a young man's game, and a dangerous one at that."

The Idama nodded. "I do not fear the end of this life, nor do I fear the beginning of the next. This journey calls to me, and I am not one to deny it."

The capsuleer's grin widened, forming lines at the edges of his eyes. "Can you cook?"