EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Megacorporate Paramilitaries and CalNav

(1/2) > >>

Silver Night:
I wanted to start a thread on what the relationship is between the Caldari Navy and the Megacorporate 'police' forces.

There aren't any figures (so far as I know) but I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of Caldari citizenry falls under the sovereignty of one of the Megacorps, at one level or another (They are part of a corp that is part of another corp, that eventually is owned by one of the big 8).

So, where does CalNav get recruits? Would the Megas keep the cream of the crop for their own forces? Maybe there are systems so that Mega forces serve part of their military time with CalNav? Maybe it is a matter of prestige for some corporations? Maybe CalNav is an acceptable option - one of very few - for people who are outsiders in the corporate world?

Of course, there is every chance it would also vary, corporation to corporation.

Ken:
From mission text:

--- Quote ---The Caldari Customs Authority (CCA) is a division of the Caldari Business Tribunal, which is the only nationwide law enforcement agency in the Caldari State.

The CCA is in charge of policing trade at the borders of Caldari space and enforcing any customs duties or tariffs, though the State generally has few of those with both the Liberal and Practical factions both being free trade advocates. However, the CCA tends to be short-staffed, despite being adequately funded, and as a result they often outsource customs duties to the Navy or corporate security forces, who will in turn sometimes subcontract to individual pod-pilots.

In general, customs duties are a low priority (and sometimes an obstruction) for many of the Caldari megacorporations' operations, so they tend to be pushed upon pilots and officers towards the low end of the totem pole.
--- End quote ---

With the CalNav being a national-level organization like the CCA, it seems reasonable to me that those full-time Navy officers and enlistees drawn from corporate forces would also come from the lower end of the spectrum.  It may even be a convenient way for the corporate police to dispose of those members who get into trouble or who simply aren't compatible.  "Shape up or they'll ship you off to the Navy."  

Only the most patriotic megas (or those directly managed by the Executor, as in the case of KK) would give up their star employees for this purpose.  I also imagine that entire units of the corporate forces are often contracted to the Navy, flying CalNav insignia and performing Navy duties for the duration of the contract.  In fact, I've always thought the corps of "active duty" Navy personnel must be rather small, with the majority of the CalNav consisting of such corporate units on lease to the CEP.

Akikio L:

--- Quote ---...these eight private militaries collectively match the official Caldari Army in numbers and far exceed it in training.
--- End quote ---
From Chron

From that I'd say it's clear CN have their own separate personnel, lots of them but not top notch  :P

Ken:
Though that chron specifically compares them to the Caldari Army...  And as sci-fi logic tells us, the Navy is the true source of military power in an interstellar civilization.  At the end of the chron there is some reinforcement of the contracting-out notion:

--- Quote ---During the invasion of Caldari Prime, all eight forces lent manpower to various aspects of the operation, from tactical strikes to civilian relocation, and the squadrons who participated have now mostly come back.
--- End quote ---

The question remains as to the size of the Navy in comparison to the corporate forces.  Honestly, I'll be unhappy if there's PF somewhere that explicitly states the CalNav is large and cohesive enough to overpower any one megacorp's security forces.  Allowing that kind of military strength to exist in the hands of a central government doesn't seem to jive with a Caldari megacorp's interests at all. 

Akikio L:
Oops, didn't read it very carefully  :oops: Just had a faint memory of something like this and hurried to find the right chron. There might be some info to dig out of the news aroudn when FW began and Caldari Prime was liberated (yesh, I'm THAT Caldari :lol:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version