EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Wish fulfillment RP Version 2.0

(1/13) > >>

Zuzanna Alondra:
Role playing romantic relationships is one of the most interesting and complicated things in any role playing community. 

Lately however there it has seemed to me that I have observed, like the poster of the original thread, that there seems to be a strangely large amount of couples that are lesbian, cross-faction or both when compared to their counter-parts. (Where's the straight and gay couples?)

It made me pause and wonder - alot of female characters are played by men - does this go back to the joke from the girls locker room that men love watching two girls together?

The idea made me wonder as well what type of other relationships are in the RP community from what I see day to day? 

Seriphyn mentioned a few ideas that seem to be missing to his knowledge:

--- Quote ---- Powerful Amarrian married couples, a Holder wife and husband who wield power over their domain as king and queen?
- Controversial Gallentean sweethearts, the focus of much fame and media attention. A war hero and his celebrity wife? An older, rich Gallentean businessman with a far too young model for a spouse?
- A Matari clan chief and priestess, being beacons of example and role models for the youth of their clan?
- A married Caldari couple with equal standing as the dastardly duo go from place to place striking deals and trades with various entities?
--- End quote ---

I personally know of a few "traditional" (I hate that word sometimes) couples if you will, male-female same race.  But they keep to themselves. 

This also brings up the other idea of is alot of romance role play us as the players just playing out our own hidden fantasies?  I know myself historically have been a very quiet person who unfortunately early in my young adult life was told, "If you get a man worked up enough that he wants it - it's cruel to tell them no." and therefore had always wanted to be able to be in a relationship where I felt very much in control. 

This naturally lead to finding great enjoyment in at least trying to play characters that relationship wise are very assertive when they decide they want someone.  It also lead me to making the mild OOC meta-gaming move of avoiding having Zu get "attached" to women - as I personally like my boys - even if Zu very well might on her own been bisexual. 

I also historically personally felt leery of letting my characters get involved with people where I know the player is single and looking or people that I didn't mesh with well on an OOC level - even if my character might of adored them.

Food for thought - add some salt folks.

Casiella:
I admit to slight metagaming in this area. Note that I have not engaged in this sort of RP in EVE, though I have in other games like SWG, so my comments about my own experiences should be seen in that light. Casiella actually has hacked her implant to, erm, take care of her needs from time to time and shuns any sort of relationship. I might someday explore this with an alt, however.

First, I have never RPed an IC same-sex relationship. I'm just not comfortable with that for myself, though I've had IG friends in all sorts of RP configurations and I even frequently do not know (nor care) about the other player's RL gender or orientation. Despite Evanda once assuming that, being a G.I.R.L., I was almost certainly playing a lesbian, that's not so.

Second, after some bad experiences, I generally do not like any sort of relationship RP without a good bit of OOC communication before. I need to make sure that everyone involved knows "RP != RL" and "IC != OOC". In other words, my character might hit on your character, and might even go further, but that doesn't mean we have any sort of relationship. I'm a happily married man with kids who intends to stay that way. Preferably, the other player is also happy in a RL committed relationship and won't misconstrue anything. The two IC relationships that felt the most "real" for me both occurred with individuals whom I knew to be in marriages, and in one case I even chatted from time to time with one of their spouses.

Finally, if the other player annoys me OOCly, there'll be no IC relationship. This doesn't contradict the previous point. It works with it. If we can't get along, then there's no point in trying to have any sort of fun together.

Milo Caman:
Some time ago, I Roleplayed Milo in a romantic relationship with another corpmate. (Opposite Sex) It eventually culminated in a FTB near-rape incident in a cargo elevator. I was slightly worried the person I was RP'ing with wouldn't FTB, and it'd be really awkward, and probably not that pleasant.

I think many of the 'same sex' relationships in EVE are often associated with cyber and therefore the stigma and issues surrounding that.

This was during a time where the directorate were worried that RP Dramaz were happening, due to a lot of 'unrealistic' relationships, and (to my utter amazement) I was cited as a good example of a believable one.

Mitara Newelle:
FTB?

Milo Caman:

--- Quote from: Mitara Newelle on 21 Apr 2010, 15:46 ---FTB?

--- End quote ---

Fade to Black

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version