Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Not enough sci-fi tech in RP  (Read 4826 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Not enough sci-fi tech in RP
« Reply #30 on: 06 Aug 2012, 08:45 »

I've tried to do this before.

I often get told it's 'godmoding'.  :s

Depends on the tech you're dealing with, but yeah, mostly this.

Particularly an issue where you have any sort of conflict happening outside the pod. For example,

"Weapons aren't allowed in here, how did you just pull a gun?"
"It was hidden."
"Um, no, we've got the best scanners in the cluster watching the door, you can't just shove it up your ass and expect to get through."
"It's designed to get past your scanners."
"Why do I RP with you again?"

I recall one fight Stecker was involved in early in my EVE career that involved a cyborg/robot, a cybernetically enhanced and armed killer, and a genetically modified psychotic killing machine. It was a lot of fun, but in retrospect it really was the clash of the godmoders, involving superhuman reflexes, extremely powerful weaponry, personal shields, etc. Eventually one member of the fight was willing at admit defeat - the robot proceeded to self destruct like the fucking coward he was  :evil:

It's hard to figure out the line where things that seem entirely plausible (weapons scanners, biometric scanners that can detect lies far better than today's detectors, etc) start to seem like godmoding because they shut down someone else's RP plan.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 08 Aug 2012, 20:26 »

I'm not even just talking about weapons - though that's certainly an area where it tends to show up.

I've been called on "godmodding" in situations involving everything from an antitampering system based on the unique decay patterns of a cluster of radionuclides to a real-time data link with another spacecraft in orbit to the use of softball-sized surveillance drones.

Sometimes I think it has to do with peoples understandings of these things - i.e., person A explains their drug detection system with a perfectly logical, reasonable, and well-grounded scientific explanation. Person B doesn't actually get a lot of that stuff, so they just hear a a line of technobabbly stuff that ends up being a foil to something they were doing. Person B calls hax and godmodding, because to them that's exactly what it is.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 08 Aug 2012, 20:54 »

Sometimes I think it has to do with peoples understandings of these things - i.e., person A explains their drug detection system with a perfectly logical, reasonable, and well-grounded scientific explanation. Person B doesn't actually get a lot of that stuff, so they just hear a a line of technobabbly stuff that ends up being a foil to something they were doing. Person B calls hax and godmodding, because to them that's exactly what it is.

I just call it witchcraft tbh.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #33 on: 09 Aug 2012, 04:13 »

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 09 Aug 2012, 04:32 »

I think its about personal preference.

* lallara zhuul sips tea.

* lallara zhuul extends her hand with her pinkie finger extended to an exquisite china cup that has been in the family for the past 12000 years and takes a sip of delicious beverage that has been made by pouring hot water on top of the cured leaves of the Camellia Sinensis plant that was harvested from the north side of Mount Ardishapur.

* lallara zhuul makes some tea.

* lallara zhuul turns on the ferminator-2700 and pulls a few levers and some brown sludge appears in a china cup.

Basically the day to day sci-fi tech is no different than us using a hotplate to heat things up.
We do it without thinking about the complicated mechanisms and the infrastructure needed to be able to use a hotplate.
There is no need to create a sci-fi background of servant drones (live or robotic) to accomplish a task that is simple to the character, but you can.

That is the personal preference.

The problem for me is the fact that it tends to clog up the channel, just like someone emoting every single air current playing with their wonderful dress and their hair, it takes the focus away from the social interaction itself.
Glorifying some aspect of the character that the player finds extremely interesting that may be utterly boring for everyone else present.
I guess its like sex in the RP circles, its fine as long as you don't do it in the public.

Then the sci-fi warfare in channels to restrict different kinds of roleplay.

I just think that if people need to determine OOC rules for IC interaction there is no real need for sci-fi tech.

Rules can be just agreed upon.

Someone breaks those predetermined rules just for their own dramallama they get kicked from the channel and told that shit like that just does not fly and they should grow up and learn how to play with other children.

I guess KISS still works here.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: 1 2 [3]