Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Elsebeth, of clan Rhiannon, was born on Matar in the heartlands of Mikramurka continent in the year 81? Read her official biography here.

Author Topic: Sources of Inspiration: The Caldari  (Read 2260 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Sources of Inspiration: The Caldari
« on: 24 Jul 2012, 19:31 »

I was thinking today about some of the sources of inspiration (from non-PF) I've relied on when imagining character and story ideas and thought it might be interesting or even useful to discuss them and see what sources other people draw on.  To keep things as focused as possible, I'm only going to talk about my inspirations for the faction to which I'm currently dedicated: the Caldari.  These are some of my sources...  What IPs do you draw imagery or ideas from when imagining the State?

Starship Troopers (the film)

Quote from: Jean Rasczak
All right, let's sum up. This year in history, we talked about the failure of democracy. How the social scientists of the 21st Century brought our world to the brink of chaos. We talked about the veterans, how they took control and imposed the stability that has lasted for generations since. We talked about the rights and privileges between those who served in the armed forces and those who haven't, therefore called citizens and civilians.

The patriotic jingoist parody of the Starship Troopers film shines light on the State's Patriot bloc and what daily life might be like for middle class KK citizens.

Gattaca

Quote from: Vincent
They used to say that a child conceived in love has a greater chance of happiness. They don't say that anymore.

Gattaca is the story of a man born into a world that allowed him no social mobility for reasons entirely beyond his control.  He takes control and overcomes these obstacles.  To me, this archetypal story may mirror that of the "disassociated" in Caldari society, especially before the recent meritocratic reforms.  It is also the best movie I've ever seen.

Total Recall: 2070 & Blade Runner

Both this TV series and film have a noir sci-fi feel that, for me, defines the gritty urban existence, high tech elitism, tangled webs of (deadly) corporate intrigue, and general grimdark to be found in the core of the State.

The Spartan faction from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Quote from: Col. Corazon Santiago, "Spartan Battle Manual"
"Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.

The Spartans are a society built entirely on military doctrine and designed with one paramount goal: security.  The faction is led by a female officer, reinforcing its stance on gender equality and suggesting strong meritocratic ideals.  They despise the environmentalist Gaians, providing parallels to the Caldari-Gallente relationship.  I've modeled my current main, Marikka Hoshisuuvi, after a younger version of Corazon Santiago.

The Morganite faction from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Quote from: Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars, and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.

Morgan defines "megacorporation".  I see endless parallels between him and his faction and the Caldari Practical bloc.

The Hive faction from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Quote from: Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment.

Yang does a brilliant job of articulating the implications of a community concept like heiian in an age of advanced interstellar technologies.  The ethos that defines the Hive strikes me as being similar to that probably forced upon the lower classes in the State (esp. pre-Heth), but it is a system that they accept readily thanks to the basic group-focused nature of the society and the application of cunning social engineering at crucial points.  This is something the Gallente find easy to dislike because its basic function is to suppress individuality.  I see the Hive come through in places like Zainou and the darker parts of Ishukone.  TCMCs and such.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Sources of Inspiration: The Caldari
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2012, 22:24 »

For me a lot of the Cyberpunk genre comes to mind, in particular with regard to the Guristas.

Outsiders from a grinding, indoctrinated and ruthless society run by megacorps, unable or unwilling to conform, the outcasts and the unwanted moving among the hordes of poor and disenfranchised, making a living doing what the monolithic Megacorps cant or wont.  Hell I once made a Netrunner who went by the name "Rabbit" in a Cyberpunk game, and "Fatal" sounds ideal for some gunslinging solo type. 
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2012, 22:26 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2012, 23:38 »

Some of William Gibson's Sprawl stories. I think they underpin a lot of EVE, not only the Caldari, but the idea of megacorporations taking the place of nation states.

ArtOfLight

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:13 »

I...don't really draw inspiration from anywhere, which might be a source of some of my problems. I tend to just read, then try to immerse myself and build the world in my mind from there. I suppose I mix images and themes from various movies and books I've seen as I piece everything together mentally.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 03 Aug 2012, 11:49 »

I think an obvious addition would be the "Weyland-Yutani" corporation from the "Alien" films. 

Hell I think they pulled Charlize Theron's character straight out of the Caldari State Business School.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 03 Aug 2012, 14:54 »

Hell I think they pulled Charlize Theron's character straight out of the Caldari State Business School.

>_>

<_<

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #6 on: 03 Aug 2012, 14:56 »

Holy shit, she does look like Kat!
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2012, 14:57 »

Holy shit, she does look like Kat!

Working as intended?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 2012, 15:20 »

Yea I noticed this in the other thread about real actors for our characters.  Maybe Ridley plays EVE and steelz from us.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #9 on: 03 Aug 2012, 23:53 »

Thieving hobbitses!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.