Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders have grandmothers? (The Burning Life)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Inquisition  (Read 6669 times)

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
« Reply #30 on: 08 Dec 2014, 18:40 »

So I've got some sort of bug going on and I could use some thoughts/ideas on how to fix it. For the last week I've been trying to download DA:I. The download gets to 99% with 10 minutes remaining, then it resets itself to anywhere between 91-95% remaining and continues downloading.

I've tried letting it run, and on the second go-round it again resets itself and continues downloading. (It's like a vicious little cycle from EA Hell.) I've also tried cancelling the download and restarting to no avail. I wasn't able to find anyone with similar problems on the EA forums, but I posted there for what good it'll do.

Anyone have any ideas on a fix? (Apart from obviously just not downloading it.) Considering the fact that I sank $60 into this game I'd like to actually get my money's worth and not have it be a decorative item in my Origin library until the end of time. :ugh:

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #31 on: 09 Dec 2014, 05:12 »

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/532511-dragon-age-inquisition-patch-2/#entry18018579

About fucking time.

@Baxter: Make sure your computer has at least double or triple the required space for the game. This is because it has to keep a temporary file open while installing, and therefore you need more space than the game will actually require in order to install it.

If that's not the problem, then try not only stopping the DL but making sure to delete anything that might have been saved or installed already, and then restarting it. You might even consider reinstalling Origin.

Lastly, if that doesn't work, try running the download on another computer. Then you can copy it over to your primary one.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2014, 05:14 by Samira Kernher »

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #32 on: 09 Dec 2014, 12:00 »

@Baxter: Make sure your computer has at least double or triple the required space for the game. This is because it has to keep a temporary file open while installing, and therefore you need more space than the game will actually require in order to install it.

If that's not the problem, then try not only stopping the DL but making sure to delete anything that might have been saved or installed already, and then restarting it. You might even consider reinstalling Origin.

Lastly, if that doesn't work, try running the download on another computer. Then you can copy it over to your primary one.
Thanks for the advice. I may end up downloading it on another computer, but first I'm going to delete everything out of Origin's game installers folder and go from there.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 09 Dec 2014, 13:55 »

Maybe try to see which TCP/UDP socket ports Origin uses, at least for the download speed. Open them up in the firewall of your router/modem and try again, it might solve the speed issue if your wifi is not the culprit. Not really hopeful on this one, but that's the only thing that comes to mind...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2014, 04:47 »

Mage is just unbelievably easymode. No worrying about positioning or avoiding the heavy melee hitters at all. Just click, hold, fire off the spells that fit the situation. That's pretty much it. If the ground starts glowing, move a bit. Technically less dps than the Rogue, but frankly with bypassing armor and no need for movement, you probably do more overall once AoE is taken into account. Not even the dragons pose any kind of challenge.

Dagger rogue is probably not going to be matched when it comes to gameplay, I suppose.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2014, 06:52 »

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I find dragons quite challenging. Of course, I don't play Knight Enchanter on my mage, which is apparently easymode. Usually when fighting dragons my party just whelps themselves by standing in fire and I can't get it past about 40% health because it has so much health and I run out of potions by about then.

Is there anything particular you're supposed to do? There are all these different parts to target, and yet they all seem to share healthbar with the dragon itself and so shooting them doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

What level are you supposed to be fighting them anyway? I'm currently 14, Mage-Necromancer with most points in Spirit, Necromancer, and Frost (and one in Electricity), in that order.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 07:04 by Samira Kernher »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 11 Dec 2014, 19:28 »

Obviously potential spoilers ahead.

Well, since you're saying Fire I'm assuming the Hinterlands dragon? Or possibly the Western Approach one? At 14 the Western Approach one may be a bit hard, but the Hinterlands one should be fairly easymode in comparison, if only due to level difference. In actual mechanics, the Hinterlands one is frankly one of the hardest ones, due to the intro sequence with the bombardment, all the adds, the ledge perking etc.

Dragons telegraph their attacks far in advance. Make sure when you see the dragon raise a leg or if you have lost overview over your melee crew in the dragonlimb clusterfuck to pause, check your party's positioning (at least one will be in the danger zone of the limb in question) and move them away.

He also telegraphs the fire, so make sure your tank is taunting and barrier'd, while everyone else is behind and if necessary moving further behind. During air phases, run your ass off perpendicular to the dragon's location.

When it lands on a ledge, hide underneath that very ledge. Keep your ranged people handy for when the adds spawn. One or two tends to stay on the ledges and blast you with fireballs, while the others come brawling. A decent AoE will usually deal with the meleers.

Technically, the Hinterlands dragon is meant to be the first one, but it's also harder than the "second" dragon in Crestwood due to the adds and airborne phase. I almost always do the Crestwood dragon first, leaving the Hinterlands one for after. (Almost always meaning all three of my runs so far) If you want a "training" run, do the Crestwood region. You'll -know- when it spawns, after you've followed the region's storyline for a bit. It's electricity based, and the trick there is to keep everyone apart during one of its attacks (you'll know), and otherwise it's got no special tricks at all compared to the serious pain in the neck that Hinterlands dragon can be.

Limbs: They all share healthbars with the dragon, -but- if you damage the right combination of them in order you will topple the dragon for a while. It shouldn't be too hard figuring out which.

Make sure your gear is in order. Seriously. It's the single greatest boost you get in this game, so go craft awesome gear for yourself and possibly the tank.

If need be, save the dragons for last in a zone and level up once or twice more, but at 14 I will usually have taken Crestwood and Hinterlands dragons and be well on my way to start kicking the Western Approach dragon in the tits.

My Mage party composition is also a bit op I suspect. One tank, one rogue and two mages (one with spirit, me with nothing but necro+lightning pewpew) so very little incoming damage on anything but the tank and me moving the Rogue around if need be.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #37 on: 11 Dec 2014, 19:47 »

Killed the Hinterland's dragon at lvl9. Took 3 attempts. Eventually won because I leveled up mid fight returning my whole party to full hp >_>

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2014, 19:54 »

The Hinterlands one and the Crestwood one are both the ones I've tried, and I haven't been able to down either.

When I said stand in fire, I meant by WoW raiding terms. "Standing in fire" = standing in any bad AOE thing bosses lay down and dying. So Crestwood's lightning thing counts.

Gear... meh. Gear and loot and item management is the thing I hate the most in single player RPG games. I don't know what's really all that good, and am not particularly interested in it at all. I don't think my gear is bad for my level... I mean while I was waiting for the patch to come out I was just running all the operations and open areas down, so I've got a large stockpile of items I can't even wear yet because they're too high level.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:18 »

Don't think I've ever lost against the Crestwood dragon. At all. It's just so easy. The only mechanic it uses that -can- be a pain is the lightning charge thingy, at which point you just (if need be) pause time, move people away from each other, resume kicking copious arse.

I suspect that you may simply be a bads, Samira.

As for gear, DPS for everyone but the tank. The tank is max constitution/health, armor, stamina. Also, crafted gear will almost always be vastly superior to found gear. Buy tier 2 weapon and armor (and the upgrades) specs from the vendor in Orlais Citeh.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #40 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:58 »

Well then I'm bad then, whatever.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #41 on: 12 Dec 2014, 07:38 »

WARNING: Dragon fight spoilers ahead.

I doubt your actually bad Sami. I'm playing on a harder difficultly (mistakes were made) and at lvl 14 the hinterlands dragon could outright kill anyone on my party with fire + fire damage (besides Cassandra.) I wanted to try a warrior cause I always played make or rogue in DA (Half the DPS of a rogue, half the maneouverability, more mistakes made)

Anyway push comes to shove I got a couple of key Inquisition upgrades and the dragon went from outright murdering my face to posing a laughable threat.

For the most part.  You NEED glass tempered flasks for the extra potion slot. Equipping Healing Mist, Regeneration, and standard pots is really helpful. In fact I'm pretty sure it's what swung the battle for me.

Next up. If you can having the +4 healing potions from the "Forces" perk tree should put you at around 12 healing pots. Another incredibly useful perk. (I didn't have this one by hinterlands.) "True Grit" for 10% less damage also goes a long way as it turns one shots into holy-shit-that-nearly-wiped-me's.

A good group comp is also a must. Having a mage with barrier and subsequent perk power up's is a must. Properly boosted your tank should be able to shrug off even the fire breath without it penetrating the barrier. Revive is also a huge boon as it allows you to recover from costly mistakes.

You tank is gonna need shield wall, challenge, war cry, shield charge on his/her bar. These generate guard and keep the dragon and any adds focused on your tankys bits instead of squishy bits. For DPS I found ranged is much preferable to melee as dagger rogues tend to proceed unwanted swipes and tail lashes from the dragon that can stress your potion usage. But since your a mage (I'm assuming without barrier and Revive that puts you in that position.

Finally and I can't stress this one enough is "Use tactical camera!" right when the fight starts and anytime the dragon repositions pause the game and move you party respectively. Never ever ever keep your squishy in line the the snout of the beast. (you will Diaf.) All the dragons also have this annoying "wind pull"  trick. It hurts, anyone outside of the "windwall"  gets pulled inside and hurt every second they are outside. There it's best to position your party at the flanks of the beast somewhere within 10'-15' to ensure they are out of reach of its claws but inside this annoying wall. Again, tactical camera is your friend.

The hinterlands dragon is by far the hardest respective of level, the fire patches make revival difficult and the perches it uses make applying damage difficult. (I highly recommend hiding directly under the the same perch it uses and waiting out this phase as only range and therefore squishies can hit him at those points. He also has an annoying stun + dragonling call that he uses with increasing frequency as his health goes down. 

Mercifully he uses it the first time while perched.  Don't get lured out of hiding. Draw the dragonling to you. (Use "Disengage" if your party heroically runs out in the dragons Line of sight to engage these little buggers.) Use your DPS to kill these dragonlings fast as he will call more later (while grounded and fighting  you.) They will absolutely overwhelm your party if not handled quickly. (Don't let your tank off the dragon, fire happens.)

Anyway I think that's how I handled it.  There's probably much easier ways to do it, but these tactics have allowed me to engage and kill every dragon since without fail.

Hope that helps.  :)
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2014, 07:43 by Vizage »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #42 on: 12 Dec 2014, 18:24 »

My tank is the one I don't have to worry about. He basically takes no damage. It's my DPS that tend to let themselves get killed off, so my Barrier cooldowns are always used on them. My tank tends to be the last one standing (at which point I can do nothing as I have no idea how to play warrior).

I do have Barrier and Revive on my PC. My companion mages also all have Barrier. Everything I read from before the game launched was that Barrier is all important so everyone who can has it does have it. Only my PC goes far enough into the Spirit tree for Dispel and Revive though.

The wind thing is what tends to hurt me a lot, as I tend to keep my DPS people really far back.

I tend to use Blackwall, Varric, and A Mage. I don't like using melee companions precisely because they take a lot more damage (though I do bring Cole along instead of Varric sometimes just because <3 Cole, but not for dragons).
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2014, 18:26 by Samira Kernher »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 12 Dec 2014, 19:59 »

Then you are almost doing it right.

Do not keep them so far away that they are not getting the range specific bonuses from various activated skills, and you can also revive more efficiently by simply going to them and tussling their hair gently. Not having to run across the zone for that helps too.

Dps is a concern with a range heavy comp though. Melee rogues hit seriusly hard and reaver warriors are not exactly smacking them with wet noodles either. Ranged rogues, Varric in particular unless you have really upgraded Bianca heavily, are much lower dps and while mages bypass armor I really hope you have extremely well crafted and upgraded weapons.

Less incoming damage is entitely negated by the much longer time spent taking said damage. Like I mentioned earlier, dragons telegraph their attacks way in advance so you can bring meleers safely if you micromanage them a bit. Or time your barriers better.

Make sure the tanks taunt abilities are set to preferred so he is constantly pulling attention away from the dps and that he is attacking the head. Positioning here is very mmo like in this regard. Everyone else can then move with impunity around the dragon while remaining inside wind reach.

Trying tank myself at the moment. Also too easy. Harder than mage, sunce range and positioning becomes more important. Much more reactive skill use though, each being far better suited as a response to a situation than as any preemptive action. Bit too easy to for all intents and purposes become invulnerable though.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 13 Dec 2014, 13:32 »

Yikes, log in to Origin after finishing DA:I once, and almost on two other playthroughs while offline and spend fifteen minutes listening to the client having a fit over god knows how many achievements I couldn't give less of a shit about. Good gods. Seriously, I'm sitting here while typing and it's still going. Stuttering and dinging as it buckles under the weight of almost 100 hours of gameplay being updated to the online side of things.

Anyway, thoughts on classes, as I've now logged a decent game time on three out of five. (I count ranged and melee rogue as two, and tank and bruiser warrior as two).

Melee Rogue: Easily the most fun of the bunch I've played so far. It's more challenging, got more active skill usage and requires a bit of finesse while being incredibly rewarding when you do pull off your moves. It's also the one where combining skill trees and setting up different builds seem to be the most rewarding as well. It's also without a doubt the highest dps class in the game when you get the hang of efficient maneuvering and positioning. It's challenging in that it is incredibly squishy and a lot of the melee enemies in the game loves to flail about and do damage all over the place, and the ranged enemies can really hurt. Especially early on. It shines really well later in the game once you've started getting some cross-tree combinations going, like better/faster stealth, skills that lets you do damage and return to stealth, attacks out of stealth are automatic crits, flanking damage does not generate enmity etc etc. This will allow you to (especially as Assassin, which is the tree that compliments a dagger rogue the best) do some absolutely incredible damage to any one damage in bursts, pick and choose important targets and control the battlefield better than almost any other class. It's also the class that can crit for over 20k in one single hit, if you got the build and skills for it. It does get a bit OP later on, but I suspect that's the case with all classes. It's fun, it's got the damage, it's got the utility (stealth scouting, vital target elimination, good class combos, evasion etc), it requires a little skill or at least situational awareness from the player and a lot of maneuvering on the battlefield. My favorite class so far.

Mage: Any mage, really. None of the specializations really change all that much, compared to the rogue/warrior specializations. You still fill the same support/ranged dps role no matter which spec you choose. They're just way too easy to play, especially if you've got a decent hang of the crafting system. It is also a bit boring. Bioware removed healing "so you didn't have to bring a healer anymore" and instead made Barrier fairly required, since almost every fucking tree synergize with barrier and half the skillpoints become damn near pointless without it. The trees are far more boring, the spells far less spectacular, the AoE far more gimped and I'm honestly not enjoying the class very much. Charge in, click and hold preferred enemy, fire off spells to suit the situation. No maneuvering required unless the tank derps or you're fighting a dragon, and even then it's just... boring. If I'd started the game as a mage right off the bat, it'd probably be less so, but after a dagger rogue it really becomes dull. Good utility, decent enough dps if using good crafted weapons, should not be soaking much damage unless you really screw things up and I really do recommend bringing another mage doing the barrier/spirit tree thing to take that chore off your hands. This is really a big step down from the spellmasters of DA:O and DA2, no matter how fun Walking Bomb might be. Least fun class so far.

Sword and Board Warrior: Well shit, this is tanky as fuck. You only start off with one real taunt skill and it's really short range, but it is sufficient to start off with. After a bit of initial faffing about, relying a bit more on other party members than you'd expect to control the field, you'll start getting enough skillpoints to become a walking fucking god. Unbelievably hard to kill and a master of controlling the battlefield. The two taunt combinations will keep almost all enemies on the field focused on you unless it's a really complicated fight and they'll make you bloody invulnerable to boot with the Guard mechanic. You have the lowest dps of all classes out there, but frankly you don't need it. You just grab the attention of all the baddies and keep them turned from the rest of the party (normal basic mmo mechanics here) and let them hammer on you while you whittle away at their healthbars and remove their own guard with Shield Slam, while your party goes to town on them. With decent crafted gear, you are frankly never going to die. Add champion spec and battlemaster skillpoints and your guard + armor will be absolutely fucking insane. You know how Cass/Blackwall is damn near unkillable past 12-15 levels? They've got nothing on you, if you use your skills with care. Sod barrier, you don't need it. Ever. As for skill use, it's... a bit odd. This is the class where I use skills other than the taunts the least. They're very situation specific. One I save for when I get thrown on my ass, as it immediately gets me back up and swinging. One I save for guarded enemies. One I save for when I need to move fast on the field, etc etc. Extremely reactive class, rather than active one. You still need to do some clever maneuvering, ensure that your party is doing their thing right and you've got the dangerous baddies handled and so on but I finish most fights never using anything but the taunts. This is a class where you really need to make sure your party is composed right and doing their things right. Set their tactics up right and make sure they're using the right skills at the right times and such, because you're going to rely far more on them to do the actual killing. Your strengths are obviously soaking up the damage, but also in simply making sure they -can- do their jobs. Whittle away guard, taunt them to you, increase the party's damage projection etc. Somewhat rewarding to play, but your dps will suffer and since the AI partymembers never seem to be as efficient at doing dps as the pc no matter what class, this will ensure that you might be spending far more time on certain encounters than with other classes. This does really feel like the "proper" inquisitor class though. You are the leader. The one who charges in. The bulwark between Thedas and the Baddies. The giant Qunari woman, unbreakable and indefatigable. Still, it doesn't compare to dagger rogue in the "fun" department.

I suspect I'll never play ranged rogue since it's pretty much another mage without spells, but I might try a Reaver down the line.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4