Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That many tattoos in EVE are nano-tattoos created with microchips implanted in the skin, programmed to react to the wearer's emotional state? Read more here.

Author Topic: I need an expert in antique firearms ! I know nothing !  (Read 1204 times)

Lyn Farel

Hello folks,

It would appear that in the midst of a tabletop project of mine is in need of your services good sirs and ladies. I am looking for a list, at the very minimum, of percussion lock weapons from the beginning of their life (approx half XIXth century) up to the first world war. At best, 1920, not after (for the first SMGs especially). I'm also interested (but secondarily) into flintlock weapons too.

I'm taking handguns (pistols and revolvers), and bolt action rifles (rifles and carabines), mostly, though heavy MGs and SMGs (like the thompson) are appreciated too... Even grenades if you feel like it !

Then of course if I can put my hands on an overview of their characteristics or what made them stand out, their nationality, i'll be extremely happy too !  It doesn't need to be exhaustive, though the more I can find, the more happy I am.

If you have any websites in mind, don't hesitate too. Wikipedia is cool but limited in that regards.

Thank you for those that could prove able to help me.

Cheers !  :)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: I need an expert in antique firearms ! I know nothing !
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2014, 15:50 »

A timeline of gun history. I personally don't know anything about guns but that is a site that some of my gun friends seem to like.

youcancallmesir

• Gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo.
  • Clonejack
  • I'm not afraid of you. Let's do this.
    • Talking in Local
« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2014, 15:19 »

Where exactly is your setting located?

Across much of the world, firearms up until the 20th century were hand-built machines. Even when manufacturers began using modern methods of production, designs and even names were often borrowed between brands, so that a "derringer" could be any brand and in any of several calibers.

In general it's more important to have an idea of caliber and design than brand and model. I could tell you a character was carrying a Taurus Judge, and half of the people in the room might be a bit impressed. But if he "levels a long-barreled revolver chambered in .410 shotgun slugs" it really gets your attention.
Dr. Quattras Peione
No, I'm not THAT kind of doctor

youcancallmesir

• Gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo.
  • Clonejack
  • I'm not afraid of you. Let's do this.
    • Talking in Local
« Reply #3 on: 03 Dec 2014, 15:21 »

Once you get into the 20th century, you have a few manufacturers that really begin to take the lead. Browning, Springfield Arms, Lee Enfield, Colt, Winchester, and their contemporaries cranked out new designs pretty much annually, so one can let one's imagination run wild.
Dr. Quattras Peione
No, I'm not THAT kind of doctor

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 04 Dec 2014, 14:16 »

Setting mostly fantastic, or at least kept separated from RL History so I can use History without being tied by History.  :P

I now have a lot more (relative) knowledge, at least theoretical, about firearms compared to the time I posted the OP. I have dug and spent a lot of time browsing the most influential and iconic guns all around the world. I think I got a decent list (quite big already, i'm not looking for a super accurate exhaustive report of thousand guns). Mostly between 1860 and 1920.

Out of simplicity I just kept to the standard caliber and cartridges listed with the gun itself usually. Most of the time war ammo and the usual with specs easily accessible. Used mostly caliber x muzzle velocity with kinetic calculations to offer a gross damage model (well yeah, it's kinda gross and inaccurate, but that's just for a tabletop). I also introduced here and there little bonuses for what the gun was famous for, at times. Magazine size was the big deal, too.

And yeah, I got lucky enough not to have to dwelve before that specific era because before Mauser, Enfield and Lebel guns (1880), it's a fucking mess of handcrafted / american-civil-war-spree firearms with not a lot of solid info on them. I completely dropped flintlock weapons, they bring nothing to the table and the setting. Will improvise them on the fly if I really have too for flavour.

Well at least, I learned a lot of interesting stuff. Especially on european weapons of that time. The issues at first was really to find good documentation and listings of existing firearms. Once I got the names, it was a (time consuming) piece of cake to go take look at each of them.

Thanks for the answers !

Note : If you want I can try to post a list of the ones I kept, and you can tell me if I forgot a very important one to your eyes or whatever you think good enough to keep. I know I couldn't keep everything in there. And maybe missed a good amount of them.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2014, 14:25 by Lyn Farel »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 04 Dec 2014, 14:42 »

Here goes the list, approx from 1860 to 1920. I hope it will add some flavour because I like History.  :)

HANDGUNS

France
Revolver Lefaucheux M1854
Revolver MAS Chamelot-Delvigne d'Ordonnance 1873 (double action)
Revolver MAS Modèle d'Ordonnance 1892 (double action)

Italy
Revolver Pistola a Rotazione 'Bodeo' 1891 (double action)
Pistol Glisenti Modello 1910
Pistol Beretta Modello 1915

Germany
Reichrevolver M79
Pistolet Mauser C96
Pistolet Parabellum Luger P08

Austria-Hungary
Revolver Gasser M1870
Revolver Rast-Gasser M1898 (double action)
Pistol Mannlicher Selbstladepistole M1903
Pistol Roth-Steyr M07

Russia/Belgium
Revolver 7-shots Nagant M1895

UK
Revolver Enfield Mk I & Mk II 1880 - 1889 (double action)
Revolver Webley Bulldog 1887

USA
Revolver Colt Model 1850 - 1860
Revolver Remington Model 1860
Revolver Smith & Wesson SW Model 10 (1889) (double action)
Pistol Colt M1903
Pistol Colt M1911

Japan
Pistol Nambu Type-A 1902

BOLT ACTION RIFLES

France
Rifle Chassepot Modèle 1866
Rifle Lebel Modèle 1886 M93
Carbine Mousqueton Berthier 1890
Fusil Semi-automatique Meunier 1913
Fusil Semi-automatique RSC Lebel Modèle 1917

Italy
Rifle Carcano Modello 1891 / Carbine Carcano Modello 1891

Germany
Rifle Mauser Gew 1871
Rifle Mauser Gew 1888 / Carbine Mauser Gew 1888
Rifle Mauser Gew 1898 / Carbine Mauser Gew 1898
Rifle Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr

Austria-Hungary
M1867 Werndl-Holub
Rifle Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 / Carbine Steyr-Mannlicher M1895
Rifle Mannlicher-Schönauer 1903

Norway
Rifle Krag-Jørgensen 1894 / Carbine Krag-Jørgensen 1894

Russia
Rifle Mosin-Nagant obr 1891 / Carbine Mosin-Nagant 'Dragoon' or 'Hussard' obr 1891

UK
Rifle Snider-Enfield 1866
Rifle Martini-Henry 1871
Rifle MLM (Magazine Lee-Metford) 1888
Rifle Lee-Enfield SMLE 1900

USA
Repeating Rifle Spencer 1860
Carbine Winchester 1866
Remington Model 11/Browning Auto-5 (1902)
Rifle Springfield M1903
Rifle M1917 Enfield

Canada
Rifle Ross 1905

Mexico
Rifle Mondragon Semi-Auto 1900

Japan
Rifle Murata Type 22 1980
Rifle Arisaka Type 30 1897 / Carbine Arisaka Type 30 1897
Rifle Arisaka Type 38 1905 / Carabine Arisaka Type 38 1905

SMG

Italy
FIAT-Revelli Modello 1915 'Villar Perosa'
Beretta M1918

Germany
Bergmann-Schmeisser MP18

MG

USA
Cannon Gatling 1861
MG Colt-Browning M1895 (Potato Digger)
LMG Lewis 1914
MG Browning M1917
LMG Browning M1918 BAR

UK
MG Vickers Maxim 1883
MG Vickers Mk.I 1912

France
Batterie Mitrailleuse de Reffye 1863
Canon Hotchkiss 1872
LMG Hotchkiss M1909 Bénét-Mercié
MG Hotchkiss M1914 Bénét-Mercié / Type 3 Taisho-14 MG (Japan)
Fusil-mitrailleur Chauchat Modèle 1915 CSRG (LMG)

Germany
Maxim MG08

Austria-Hungary
Schwarzlose MG 1905

Italy
FIAT-Revelli Modello 1914

Russia
Pulemet Maksima Obr 1910
LMG Fedorov Avtomat M1916