Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That cleaner bombs can remove small messes, including lingering aromas?(The Burning Life p 33)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Male or Female Voice?  (Read 3208 times)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Re: Male or Female Voice?
« Reply #15 on: 09 Sep 2014, 08:44 »

I pasted the entirety of stuff I wrote (Fanfiction. [..]
If I get this right, the Guesser does not work as well when you use stuff like that:
Lyrics, lists, poems, and prose are special writing styles. This tool is unlikely to classify these texts correctly.
-OOChé

Shiori

« Reply #16 on: 09 Sep 2014, 09:14 »

This is amusing. If I know programming I would love to crack that wide open to see how it works.
It's not terribly sophisticated. Basically it has two word lists giving a number of relatively subject-neutral words a score proportionally to how often they occur in 'male' versus 'female' writing, adds up their scores for every time they occur, and compares the final scores. For the curious, the entire dictionary it uses is this:

[spoiler]  var DictionaryInformal = new Array();
  DictionaryInformal['actually']= -49;
  DictionaryInformal['am']= -42;
  DictionaryInformal['as']= 37;
  DictionaryInformal['because']= -55;
  DictionaryInformal['but']= -43;
  DictionaryInformal['ever']= 21;
  DictionaryInformal['everything']= -44;
  DictionaryInformal['good']= 31;
  DictionaryInformal['has']= -33;
  DictionaryInformal['him']= -73;
  DictionaryInformal['if']= 25;
  DictionaryInformal['in']= 10;
  DictionaryInformal['is']= 19;
  DictionaryInformal['like']= -43;
  DictionaryInformal['more']= -41;
  DictionaryInformal['now']= 33;
  DictionaryInformal['out']= -39;
  DictionaryInformal['since']= -25;
  DictionaryInformal['so']= -64;
  DictionaryInformal['some']= 58;
  DictionaryInformal['something']= 26;
  DictionaryInformal['the']= 17;
  DictionaryInformal['this']= 44;
  DictionaryInformal['too']= -38;
  DictionaryInformal['well']= 15;

var DictionaryFormal = new Array();
  DictionaryFormal['a']= 6;
  DictionaryFormal['above']= 4;
  DictionaryFormal['and']= -4;
  DictionaryFormal['are']= 28;
  DictionaryFormal['around']= 42;
  DictionaryFormal['as']= 23;
  DictionaryFormal['at']= 6;
  DictionaryFormal['be']= -17;
  DictionaryFormal['below']= 8;
  DictionaryFormal['her']= -9;
  DictionaryFormal['hers']= -3;
  DictionaryFormal['if']= -47;
  DictionaryFormal['is']= 8;
  DictionaryFormal['it']= 6;
  DictionaryFormal['many']= 6;
  DictionaryFormal['me']= -4;
  DictionaryFormal['more']= 34;
  DictionaryFormal['myself']= -4;
  DictionaryFormal['not']= -27;
  DictionaryFormal['said']= 5;
  DictionaryFormal['she']= -6;
  DictionaryFormal['should']= -7;
  DictionaryFormal['the']= 7;
  DictionaryFormal['these']= 8;
  DictionaryFormal['to']= 2;
  DictionaryFormal['was']= -1;
  DictionaryFormal['we']= -8;
  DictionaryFormal['what']= 35;
  DictionaryFormal['when']= -17;
  DictionaryFormal['where']= -18;
  DictionaryFormal['who']= 19;
  DictionaryFormal['with']= -52;
  DictionaryFormal['your']= -17;
[/spoiler]
(The dictionary is split between formal/informal words as well. Negative values are more 'female.')
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2014, 09:16 by Shiori »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #17 on: 09 Sep 2014, 09:35 »

How exactly does one determine if a word is male or female?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 09 Sep 2014, 09:35 »

How exactly does one determine if a word is male or female?

The post directly above yours explained this...

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #19 on: 09 Sep 2014, 09:42 »

i think he means, why is "him" a -73 highly "female" word, while "her" is a -9 slightly "female" word ?
\o/

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 09 Sep 2014, 09:44 »

i think he means, why is "him" a -73 highly "female" word, while "her" is a -9 slightly "female" word ?

Ah, that would depend on which linguists the makers of the program listened to. There is a tendency to use different words by different groups of people, but how it is quantified depends upon the person researching it.

Shiori

« Reply #21 on: 09 Sep 2014, 10:04 »

If they've done it with any kind of rigor, they've taken a large corpus of writing by men and women authors, counted up how many times every word occurred in each, and noted the relative frequency. If a word occurs a lot more in the text of one gender than another, it's a fairly decent predictor that if it occurs in a text, that text was written by someone of that gender, and gets a high score; if the difference is less pronounced, it'll get a lower score. How exactly that's scaled is probably arbitrary.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #22 on: 09 Sep 2014, 11:39 »

This sounds like a stereotypical piece of clap trap because the writings it probably used wouldn't pass the "Bechdel test" .  Because it sounds like it used emo romance novels to find women writers if you look at the list and think of how the words would be used.

Genre: Informal
  Female = 1820
  Male   = 421
  Difference = -1399; 18.78%
  Verdict: FEMALE

Genre: Formal
  Female = 959
  Male   = 277
  Difference = -682; 22.41%
  Verdict: FEMALE

to follow che and arista  ;)

She returned barefoot to the kitchen to bake cookies and to wonder why he wouldn't date her because she is a commoner.  Who knew his mind?  If only she had noble birth! If only!  She knew she was everything he sought, elegant and beautiful and smart.  Why did it matter to him that she was a commoner?

« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2014, 12:22 by Lunarisse Aspenstar »

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 09 Sep 2014, 14:41 »

*Arista silently made a cup of tea for Lunarisse, knowing her mind.  She had a deep suspicion as to why Che was in the kitchen, however, though quickly dismissed the random staring into the refridgerator with no particular goal in mind as STEREOTYPICAL MALE BEHAVIOR.  >:)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #24 on: 09 Sep 2014, 14:58 »

Oi. No mocking one of our most sacred rituals of manhood, misandrist shitlady!

Hmm. Shitlady doesn't work as well as shitlord, does it?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #25 on: 09 Sep 2014, 15:24 »

*Arista silently made a cup of tea for Lunarisse, knowing her mind.  She had a deep suspicion as to why Che was in the kitchen, however, though quickly dismissed the random staring into the refridgerator with no particular goal in mind as STEREOTYPICAL MALE BEHAVIOR.  >:)
Confirming it's not a successful trip to the kitchen until all the cold air has been let out of the fridge and/or freezer.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2014, 05:22 »

...I do that  :s
In my defence, the freezer sometimes doesn't close properly >.>

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2014, 06:24 »

If they've done it with any kind of rigor, they've taken a large corpus of writing by men and women authors, counted up how many times every word occurred in each, and noted the relative frequency. If a word occurs a lot more in the text of one gender than another, it's a fairly decent predictor that if it occurs in a text, that text was written by someone of that gender, and gets a high score; if the difference is less pronounced, it'll get a lower score. How exactly that's scaled is probably arbitrary.

The problem here is in first establishing what a 'male' and a 'female' author/writing style are: After all, it's supposedly about gender and not sex. And the former is an even more supple concept than the latter (and knowing my biology the latter isn't as clear cut as one usually thinks already).

In the end it turns out to be a bit circular: You first define what is a 'male' and a 'female' writing style, then you count word frequencies, and as a last step use correlations in word frequencies to writing style to 'predict' writing style. I don't think that much is won with this, safe maybe that you don't need to read the text anymore to assign a 'male' or 'female' style.

It's more a descriptive statistics than genuine insight that this 'test' gives you - which might be useful for research, though.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #28 on: 10 Sep 2014, 10:08 »

Apparently I'm most often a guy.

1)  Test #1:  EVE Fan Fiction (specifically, "Flotsam in Everyshore (2)")

Female = 2456
  Male   = 3386
  Difference = 930; 57.95%
  Verdict: Weak MALE
Weak emphasis could indicate European.

Female = 2707
  Male   = 2060
  Difference = -647; 43.21%
  Verdict: Weak FEMALE

2) Test #2, Excerpt from Current Fiction Project.

[spoiler]
"Oh, good.  You are all awake." Ambru said. He'd brought a lantern. Rather, he and the four men in the identical wine-colored coats who were walking across the deck behind him all had lanterns. Through a new, rather strikingly symmetrical rent in the fog, Gev could see the side of the ship they'd come from, and the weighted rope ladder they'd dropped over it. A ship. Not the ship they'd been steering for, and certainly not any of the men they'd left behind on that ship, because for one, they didn't have any men left on their ship, and for two, their cutter was most certainly not a heavy Tannaliri cruiser.

It had a name -- Relentless-- that said that its captain had already earned his or her own surname, and the odds were unlikely the honor'd been awarded by the Mariner Guild's esteemed Tannalir-based schools of drydock etiquette and long afternoon naps. Gev took a moment to marvel at how it was nothing short of miraculous that their boat had been found in the vast southern ocean beneath the trackless stars right when they needed help.

But just a moment.

"You've been drugging me for a while…" he guessed.

"For the past month, yes," Ambru agreed.

"….because you knew I wouldn't have taken the fucking job if I'd smelled the slightest thing off about…" The sudden 'ow' that escaped Gev's lips surprised him by how soft it was, because he'd been on the verge of screaming.

One of the anonymous men with Ambru was now holding the bulk of Gev's voice in his pinched fingers. It occurred to Gev as he rubbed his throat and stared groggily at him, that the man wasn't quite as anonymous as the others: the effort of catching and holding a voice seemed to be making him appear more distinct, more memorable … and the other men less obviously flesh and blood. The illusory men re-stabilized when their master opened his fingers.

Gev cleared his throat. "I'm going to kill you both."

"Certainly," Ambru said. "Come."
[/spoiler]

Female = 582
  Male   = 682
  Difference = 100; 53.95%

Female = 288
  Male   = 485
  Difference = 197; 62.74%
  Verdict: MALE

3)  Test #3 - A sample of work writing.   (Trust me, you don't want to read it: it's pretty tedious.)

Female = 385
  Male   = 1507
  Difference = 1122; 79.65%
  Verdict: MALE

Female = 830
  Male   = 981
  Difference = 151; 54.16%
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2014, 10:10 by Vieve »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 10 Sep 2014, 13:51 »

It's more a descriptive statistics than genuine insight that this 'test' gives you - which might be useful for research, though.

This was the original intent of this sort of research. It was done for the sake of information the provide an interesting stepping stone to further research or possible ideas, not meant to be something terribly innovative in and of itself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3