Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That one of the primary exports of the Amarrian Theology Council is booze? (Theology Council in-game info, Market Activity tab).

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - E3 2014 Demo  (Read 917 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
No Man's Sky - E3 2014 Demo
« on: 12 Jun 2014, 07:51 »

E3: How No Man's Sky took on the games industry - and won and No Man's Sky

Worth a look. Also quite similar to another game in development (but with question marks), Infinity: Quest For Earth

Infinity Engine Demo and Commentary and inovae studious
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014, 07:55 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

Re: No Man's Sky - E3 2014 Demo
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:41 »

Interesting. I think that their flashy colours - How I hate flashy colours it makes my eyes bleed - work pretty damn well on their planets. I think they work pretty damn bad in space though. But their project looks amazing.

Also it's nice to hear from i-novae, they went very silent for the past years...

Dessau

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:49 »

Looks like something chill to just pick up and play when you want a diversion. If I had a PS4, I'd probably grab a copy.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:30 »

For those who want a short version of the hooha, basically these games are, to my knowledge, the first to use "procedural generation" programming to such a massive extent.

I.e. the game universe is quite literally made mind-bogglingly vast because the game generates the universe as you explore it. Think of it as a seed, i.e. some clever coding, and as you explore, the tree grows, i.e. the rules set by the coding allow an environment to be created on the move.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:43 »

Well yeah, the few full galaxies Brebion created for Infinity were roughly 400 billion stars each.

Though that's not exactly the first time either that such big scale procedural generation is brought into games. One that inspired Infinity was Elite, that used similar procedural concepts too, in its own more rustic way considering the time period. However considering all the new tech involved, tied with graphics, realistic planets and all, I might be tempted to say that what we have now is probably a lot more exhaustive.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:06 »

New purdy video very cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXL5fJMpCus

I admit this does look super fun, but I'm not sure if there's any meat there aside from pretty pictures yet?

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2014, 14:38 »

I love that we have so many space sims coming out to try, looks like fun!

Anyone else get a Homeworld type vibe from the looks or is it just me?
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"