Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: CCP Cancels World of Darkness  (Read 7195 times)

PracticalTechnicality

CCP Cancels World of Darkness
« on: 14 Apr 2014, 09:28 »

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/77171/ccp-games-halts-development-of-world-of-darkness-mmo/

The article says it all really.  I am concerned by their sudden (if not unexpected) dropping of this title, and more so by the fact they sit on the IP.  However, more focus (though no clue as to how much) on EVE is a good thing if they can bring DUST back on track and breathe new life into the space-taking game of EVE (which has become tired and old, even for the entities that do it). 

Only time will tell, I guess.

CREDIT: Morwen for linking me the story in a very timely manner and breaking the news but not my WoD loving heart.  Secondary credit to CCP for the news, and for breaking my WoD loving heart.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2014, 09:30 by PracticalTechnicality »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: CCP Cancels World of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2014, 09:34 »

Does anyone know how much money they lost on Dust?

One might hope they are forced to sell the IP at least and another studio can give it a proper go?

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:09 »

I'm not surprised. Anyone ever wondered if CCP is a one-trick-pony?

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:30 »

I'm not surprised by this news, nor am I saddened to see the game no longer being worked on. What I am sad about, are those employees that suddenly lost their jobs.  :(

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:13 »

Found it.

"It may be sensible, given that the company lost $21.3 million last year."

SMH.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/14/final-death-world-of-darkness-mmo-cancelled/#more-201431

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:16 »

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/22td7a/storm_on_the_horizon_wod_appears_to_be_cancelled/

Saw this the other day, it is relevant.

Kind of a bit :S at how CCP appear to have managed things. PR dropped the ball, sort of thing. :S
\o/

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:34 »

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/22td7a/storm_on_the_horizon_wod_appears_to_be_cancelled/

Yeah, saw this last night. Fucking LOL at Falcon going on there to say "This is just unconfirmed rumor, nothing to see here" and then having CCP confirm it the next day. I remember when he at least had a reputation for integrity, if not integrity itself.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:54 »

Yeah, saw this last night. Fucking LOL at Falcon going on there to say "This is just unconfirmed rumor, nothing to see here" and then having CCP confirm it the next day. I remember when he at least had a reputation for integrity, if not integrity itself.

Well. We don't know what the exact score was, and likely never will.

But I can see it as being quite likely, that someone at upper management told lower employees to deny the rumour and say it had no basis in fact, and Falcon drew the short straw.

Sucks to be in that position.
\o/

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:21 »

I... can't say I'm surprised. From my (entirely out-of-industry) viewpoint, I always considered Incarna to be a "test run" for CCP's WoD - if not in the technology and engine itself, then in the ability for CCP to again develop an entirely new engine and construct a game environment around it. Instead we got the PR debacle that the Incarna rollout was, a fall from which it doesn't feel like CCP has ever entirely recovered.

From that point forwards I never really felt like WoD had a chance. There was always going to be a higher priority, a greater need - frankly, I'm surprised that CCP didn't start selling licenses for development of products in the WoD IP years ago and even more surprised they've opted not to now.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:29 »

Yeah, I'm with Esna here, not surprised in the least. I'm kind of surprised it didn't happen years ago.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:32 »

In my specific area (storyline, content, live events) there was tremendous division over many things and absurd amounts of internal politics that one had to navigate through, all of which would get in the way of work being delivered.

that was one of dropbear's comments in the reddit thread I linked earlier.

Whitewolf's expertise in storyline and content writing was supposed to have been one of the reasons why CCP purchased whitewolf.

So it looks like, not only is there no World of Darkness mmo, but also that CCP have squandered everything they ever got from White Wolf.

So, what was any of it all for ?
\o/

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:38 »

Well, certain people in CCP are, and continue to be, the best writers of Fiction in the industry.  It is a shame that the rest of them aren't on the storyline team.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:49 »

I would chalk the Falcon comment to right hand not knowing what left hand is doing rather than malice.

On another note, I think the White Wolf purchase marked a distinct *downturn* in the quality of EVE's story. The teams didn't seem to mesh well at all.

Dessau

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:57 »

The gaming industry layoff is something that always hovers over you, but no matter how prepared you are, that 5-minute meeting sucks hard. Wishing the Atlanta team a quick landing on other pastures.

Hopefully, EVE will benefit from this debacle somehow, whether it's an appropriation of avatar assets, improved station environments, or what have you.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2014, 13:31 »

Well, certain people in CCP are, and continue to be, the best writers of Fiction in the industry. 

They are ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4