Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Attack in Oslo, Norway  (Read 9699 times)

Vikarion

Re: Attack in Oslo, Norway
« Reply #75 on: 25 Aug 2012, 20:03 »

I think that is the measure of a civilized society and I take my hat off for Norway in that respect.

Same. Even if we have lifetime punishments here they are always released after 25-35 years.

Last time I said something about this, it was moddable and got modded. So I'll simply say that I disagree with kindness to those who do evil being either a civilizing attribute or a desirable one. I think a fundamental pillar of human justice is the ideal of doing evil to evil.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #76 on: 25 Aug 2012, 20:12 »

So he'll get out in a few decades, big whoop. It's not like he's gonna launch a second murder spree the moment he gets out.

There are 77 families in Norway with a very vested interest in shooting Breivik dead the moment he's outside his prison walls. If anything, those walls are the only thing keeping him safe.

77 families worth of possibly creative people who have plenty of time to plan something.

I'd start a dead pool bet early.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #77 on: 25 Aug 2012, 20:40 »

The 21 years will expire, and then be reviewed, and then he'll go in again probably.

Knowing Breivik, he would have absolutely loved it if the Norwegian government broke their own established law just to punish him a little harder. The fact they didn't bend over for his crime is a sign of a commendable justice system.

Jev North

« Reply #78 on: 26 Aug 2012, 03:33 »

So he'll get out in a few decades, big whoop. It's not like he's gonna launch a second murder spree the moment he gets out.
A few to a bunch. His current sentence means he'll be in prison until he's "no longer deemed a danger to society." Their penal system is famously lenient, but I'd be vaguely surprised if this one got out before he's an old, old man, or advances in neuroscience let us treat whatever major malfunction made him capable of shooting sixty-odd teenagers in cold blood.

There are 77 families in Norway with a very vested interest in shooting Breivik dead the moment he's outside his prison walls. If anything, those walls are the only thing keeping him safe.

77 families worth of possibly creative people who have plenty of time to plan something.

I'd start a dead pool bet early.
Doubly early. Norwegian prisions aren't exactly Shank Central, but..
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]