Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That naturalist cafes on space stations go to great lengths to create the illusion that one is not in space? (The Burning Life, p. 62)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 3875 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #15 on: 08 Mar 2012, 12:55 »

This is one of those discussions that no-one can win.

On the other hand you have the insufferable conditions in Africa that enable for people like Kony to rise into power and on the other hand there is people like Kony in power.

Which one is the bigger problem?

Personally I think its not up to me, it is up to the people living in those conditions to change them.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #16 on: 08 Mar 2012, 13:12 »

reminds me of a thing i read about a while back, a dude by the name of "General Butt Naked".

:(
\o/

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #17 on: 08 Mar 2012, 21:27 »

No no no, guys. Wait. Listen. Clearly supporting something that aims to remove one of the nastiest dipshits on the planet is a bad thing to do. Always wait for that non-existent cause that's 'better' around the corner. That'll have much more impact.

I don't think anyone is debating the notion that Joseph Kony needs to be captured (or killed, whichever works) but IC is definitely not the way forward.

Nor is any Charity that uses it's funding to financially back a military that is known to commit acts of rape and pillaging.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Mister Screwball

• Wetgraver
    • http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7203/eatingevidencez.gif
« Reply #18 on: 09 Mar 2012, 05:30 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7jzwn45--Y

I like this video because it actualy challanges some of the stuff being said in the Kony 2012 Video And I hope that more people will research this kind of stuff instead of just blindly spaming the Kony Video.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2012, 21:34 »

I thought I'd hear about this non stop all week. Yet I've not seen any further stuff since the day this topic went up in terms of people posting links on FB/Twitter etc.

Did the momentum die off as fast as it started?

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2012, 18:13 »

Oh, I'm about to start some fresh momentum:

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2012/03/11/invisible-children-funded-by-antigay-creationist-christian-right/

The sponsors of Kony 2012... are the *same* people who traveled to Uganda and convinced the government to adopt a death penalty for gays.

It would appear Kony 2012 is a cynical distraction campaign to create a bigger villain than the US missionaries directly responsible for gays being hanged in Uganda.

What a tweeest!

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2012, 18:21 »

I thought I'd hear about this non stop all week. Yet I've not seen any further stuff since the day this topic went up in terms of people posting links on FB/Twitter etc.

Did the momentum die off as fast as it started?

I think that the "WTF" posts on various fora have meant that Kony 2012 is not an obvious unalloyed good any more.

Combined with what Istvaan just posted, and there are lots of reasons to pause and consider.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2012, 17:24 »

But...but...we're terrible shitstains for even baring the slightest degree of skepticism!

I was told so by many!   

THE VIDEO!  IT HAD VIOLINS FFS!!  :roll:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2012, 20:39 »

But...but...we're terrible shitstains for even baring the slightest degree of skepticism!

I was told so by many!   

THE VIDEO!  IT HAD VIOLINS FFS!!  :roll:

Anyone who says that I'm unreasonable for questioning what they're telling me can get stuffed.

Although, violins...

Long pause

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2012, 22:13 »

Not to mention powerful emotive text, scores of young adults reciting meaningless propaganda drivel like a class of children doing times tables...

Oh and his young son as the symbol of innocence.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:45 »

I haven't watched it, but reading a pair of articles on the fabulous Al Jazeera (true world news without the orientalism or mundane stories about a morbidly obese woman in Kent) has made me think twice about spending 30 minutes to watch it. Ironic following the lead of two articles that criticize the masses for following the lead of a video, but :P

I've watched enough Channel 4 documentaries to know that this Kony guy is horrendous and all that. But I do sense the video may ring heavily of "Civilized white people must go save the poor Africans from themselves!"...apparently the video uses Africans over Ugandans, but again I haven't watched it. There's plenty of bad guys in the world. Personally I feel approaching injustice through educated awareness and grounded understanding is much better than doing so through YouTube (home of this for crying out loud).

Even we Westerners have our own cockbags.

Desiderya

« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:20 »

The money might be better spent in humanitarian efforts rather than warmongering.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2012, 16:02 »

Saw an Al jazeera video about showing the Kony2012 video to a bunch of Norther Ugandans. Victims of Kony.

They were not happy, and the video showing was called off when the crowd started throwing rocks at the screen.

They're also very upset about people wearing T-shirts with pictures of Kony on them. I saw one comment suggesting it was like selling T-shirts with pictures of Osama Bin-Ladin on them in America.

Long pause

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #29 on: 14 Mar 2012, 17:15 »

Ulphus, got a link for that?

I watched the first 15 minutes. The hipster accent grated on me. I'd be sold better if it was an actual Ugandan who made the documentary, not some foreigner.

On the other hand, at least people have a cause.
Pages: 1 [2] 3