Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Author Topic: Philistines of New Eden?  (Read 1137 times)

Seismic Stan

• Clonejack
Philistines of New Eden?
« on: 09 Jan 2012, 07:24 »

Hi folks

I'm hoping your collective lore knowledge might be able to solve a dialogue problem for me.

I'm writing some audio dialogue in which I've currently used the term "Philistines" as a derogatory dismissal. Clearly this is an anachronism. Any suggestions as to the New Eden equivalent of a Philistine? Even though the character is Amarr, I'd rather avoid referencing a well-known playable bloodline as it would be misunderstood.

The dialogue is as follows:

"...we are no longer restricted by rigid safety regulations Station Administrators insist on upholding. It was surprising the amount of resistance that my wormhole generator proposals met with. Philistines."

Any suggestions? Is there canonical reference to a non-spaceflight capable race anywhere that would fit?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Philistines of New Eden?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2012, 07:36 »

there's a few things like "mud-huggers" but that's referring more to planetary populations.

Could maybe look at the Ealurians article on the evelopedia, since it's an amarrian, but I'm not sure if your audience might get it, since ealurians aren't well known at all :/

\o/

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2012, 10:33 »

Though not quite the same meaning in general, wouldn't "technophobes" be applicable there?

Jev North

« Reply #3 on: 09 Jan 2012, 10:36 »

I try to not sweat the details like that; there's an awful lot of words with cultural context just waiting to trip you up if you want to be a total purist, and at some point it starts feeling forced. Though in this case, I'd personally just ditch the association with ethnicity altogether and go with a nice, condescending "Savages.".

Seismic Stan

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jan 2012, 10:39 »

Hmm, thanks Louella. You're right, it's more important that my audience 'get it'. You've made me realise that even if I did find an appropriate alternative, nobody would get the reference. I may stick with "Philistines" then. Who's to say that the use of that word hasn't stuck with the evolution of language over millenia.

After all, if New Eden residents are still using 20th Century naval terms like "battleship" and "captain's quarters", why can't the odd biblical reference have survived? [Edit: now I think about it, "Eden" - duh, doesn't get more Old Testament than that.]

Edit: As I wrote this, two more responses came in. Kybernetes "technophobes" and Jev's "savages" both work well. Cheers all, very helpful. You're legends. :)
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2012, 14:14 by Seismic Stan »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jan 2012, 17:27 »

Luddites?

Try having one of those as a professor for a course about effects of games and other forms of interactive media on society.  :bash:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jan 2012, 22:31 »

Luddites?

Try having one of those as a professor for a course about effects of games and other forms of interactive media on society.  :bash:

. . .  :eek:

How does that even work?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2012, 00:43 »

I don't know, but WPI did it during my last year. I ragequit the class two weeks in, and filed a complaint w/ the department.

Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jev North

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:08 »