Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Assembly responded directly to Julianus Soter's and other's request for information regarding Ishukone and Mordus Legion around Intaki Prime? For more, read here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Color me surprised  (Read 15447 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Color me surprised
« Reply #45 on: 29 Mar 2012, 14:14 »

EVE residents: 5% WH; 8% Lowsec; 20% Nullsec; 67% Highsec.
CSM 7: 1 highsec resident out of 14.

I liked Jade's post. The CSM minutes over FW showed how retardedly disconnected they were with its mechanics.

HOWEVER, the FW presentation by that French CCP gentleman showed a MUCH better grasp of the mechanics than CSM. Every piece of grievance FWers have had since day one, it was brought up in the presentation.

Not sure what the point of CSM is, by that example alone.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #46 on: 29 Mar 2012, 14:37 »

The obvious solution is a proportional representation based on eve gameplay, so you run for a 'category' so each gameplay style has a representative

14 spots, so something like

High Sec rep
Low Sec rep
Null Sec rep
Faction Warfare rep
Corporate  rep
Alliance rep
Small gang rep
Fleet Fight rep
Mining rep
Manufacturing rep
Market Rep
RP Rep

Etc.  Splice and Dice to hit all categories, all parties get a voice to CCP

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #47 on: 29 Mar 2012, 15:59 »

It's been discussed, Silas, but as the CSM is (with everyone discussing all the topics together) it would be very difficult to prevent people from forming blocs on the committee and things running as they are, and even harder try and police such. Where would the limits be? Taking ISK or RL money for taking a position on a matter would be obviously way over the line, but what about one representative just being naturally sympathetic towards someone they know who got elected to another spot?

Splitting the CSM into multiple smaller committees who would meet individually would possibly be a thing as well, but could you completely stop leaks from one CSM member to another committee's CSM member on what was being discussed?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #48 on: 29 Mar 2012, 19:26 »

In a lot of countries, including my own, Mittani's action was a crime. A 30 day ban is worthless. The apology is quite simply not sincere. No one takes a 180 degree turn like that entirely out of the blue. He saw the potential consequences of his actions and started doing damage control. He should have been banned for life and charges should have been made.

"Unclassy in fanfest" being a bannable offense is something I would be against too. Being a criminal at fanfest should be a permaban offense.

Ah well, it just confirms that goons are weaponsgrade douchebottles whether they're at the bottom or the top of the pyramid.

Criminal?  Someone check Icelandic law before we start being utter morons?  In MY country, this is not only LEGAL, but CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED.  v0v

Also, I broke the EULA several times at fanfest.  Waiting for my ban.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #49 on: 29 Mar 2012, 19:58 »

Criminal?  Someone check Icelandic law before we start being utter morons?  In MY country, this is not only LEGAL, but CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED.  v0v

ITT: Another one fails to see the difference between free speech and unlawful harassment.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #50 on: 29 Mar 2012, 20:03 »

Bacch, CCP obviously don't give a shit what the law states in your country - they wrote their own EULA and considered it breached by a 3rd party, thus, the ban. If you care so much to complain that YOU have not been banned yet for an offense you are sure you have made I'm sure CCP would find no problem informing you if you will be banned or not, should you call them, explain what you have done and how it violates their EULA. I'm sure they would consider your claims, check any evidence and ban any toon you got, should they feel like it.

In the meantime, yelling at us on this forum serves no purpose. CCP considered their EULA breached and banned the mittani, most here agree and applaud the action. Some even want HARSHER penalty for the act. Your position is apparently incorrect, in this case.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #51 on: 29 Mar 2012, 20:35 »

In a lot of countries, including my own, Mittani's action was a crime. A 30 day ban is worthless. The apology is quite simply not sincere. No one takes a 180 degree turn like that entirely out of the blue. He saw the potential consequences of his actions and started doing damage control. He should have been banned for life and charges should have been made.

"Unclassy in fanfest" being a bannable offense is something I would be against too. Being a criminal at fanfest should be a permaban offense.

Ah well, it just confirms that goons are weaponsgrade douchebottles whether they're at the bottom or the top of the pyramid.

Also, I broke the EULA several times at fanfest.  Waiting for my ban.

Have you in fact petitioned yourself for impersonating Alexander Gianturco?

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 29 Mar 2012, 20:50 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_free_speech_exceptions

The intent of TM's speech may be considered to have the intent of inflicting severe emotional distress.  It might be unprotected.

Quote from: BloodBird
Your position is apparently incorrect, in this case.

His position is different.  Whether it is correct or not is entirely subjective.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #53 on: 29 Mar 2012, 21:05 »

ITT: Another one fails to see the difference between free speech and unlawful harassment.

Or, I just read a court case where a militia made threats and plans to attack and kill police and federal government workers, but the judge threw the case out because the ones making the claims were not a legitimate threat and were merely blustering and talking shit, which is protected under our first amendment.  I don't see how saying "incidentally if you want to make the guy kill himself his name is ____" is worse than that. 

I suppose it would have to go to the courts to be determined, if in fact Alex had made the comments in the US and if in fact some dumb bastard decided to try and press charges against him.  I suspect he'd win and be able to counter-sue for his court costs.

In any case, we're not talking about the US, we're talking about Iceland.  More to the point, as has been pointed out, we're talking about the EULA, not anyone's law, as he's not being brought up on charges, so I don't really see why people in this thread are going all hyperbolic talking about how evil criminal Hitler-esque his comments were and how he should have been carted off to jail/executed/burned alive for them.

Ultimately, I simply think CCP overstepped themselves with the ban.  As I said elsewhere, ban him from fanfest perhaps, but the game?  It doesn't sit right.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 29 Mar 2012, 21:52 »

NVM. :)
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2012, 23:00 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 29 Mar 2012, 22:32 »

Gottii, others have argued that TM may have broken some laws (government), I think that is why the point of Constitutionality was brought up.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:02 »

Or, I just read a court case where a militia made threats and plans to attack and kill police and federal government workers, but the judge threw the case out because the ones making the claims were not a legitimate threat and were merely blustering and talking shit, which is protected under our first amendment.  I don't see how saying "incidentally if you want to make the guy kill himself his name is ____" is worse than that. 

I suppose it would have to go to the courts to be determined, if in fact Alex had made the comments in the US and if in fact some dumb bastard decided to try and press charges against him.  I suspect he'd win and be able to counter-sue for his court costs.

In any case, we're not talking about the US, we're talking about Iceland.  More to the point, as has been pointed out, we're talking about the EULA, not anyone's law, as he's not being brought up on charges, so I don't really see why people in this thread are going all hyperbolic talking about how evil criminal Hitler-esque his comments were and how he should have been carted off to jail/executed/burned alive for them.

Ultimately, I simply think CCP overstepped themselves with the ban.  As I said elsewhere, ban him from fanfest perhaps, but the game?  It doesn't sit right.

Bach, are you defending his being an ass or his right to be an ass?  I'm a big supporter of one's right to be an asshole as that's part of the package deal for free speech. It's all ok or none of it is, especially when you don't agree with it. That's the test.

But this being a private event with their own rules, they can muzzle or ban him however they want for whatever perceived provocation they want. It's their business and having that kind of thing streamed out on the internet is bad for business.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #57 on: 30 Mar 2012, 10:11 »

Yeah, the issue is both what he said and when he said it - on camera with thousands of people watching. Now, the massive reaction to it is also due to who he is. He's mittens, he's one of the polarizing figures in the game. But if he had made this remark anywhere besides on camera at fanfest, I don't think it generates nearly as big a stink. And no, I don't think he should be let off the hook on account of, "Well if he'd just said it while drunk at the bar we wouldn't care, but he said it at the alliance panel so it's a big deal?"

Timing is everything.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #58 on: 30 Mar 2012, 11:59 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that made me laught out loud and people at work looked me as a weirdo

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #59 on: 30 Mar 2012, 12:24 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that made me laught out loud and people at work looked me as a weirdo

Not formally, but during an email exchange with CCP Guard (was forwarding some pictures of him and I on which he subsequently posted to Alex's Facebook wall saying "hey look, it's me and Mittani!) I did ask him about that.  Haven't gotten a response yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10